Got the "fix" friday, got P0401 code today :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The cars do need to be driven a certain amount to let regens occur. With the proper knowledge and a few things the driver can greatly assist the car in letting these happen and complete, when needed. Whether this is grounds for refusing warranty or not you will have to work out with VW. There are a few apps along with an OBDII BT connector that will let you see when these are happening and the status. VAG-DPF is one android app. The OBDII adapters are like this one:

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

Some buy the cheapo Chinese ones, but I have had nothing but failures from them.

Unless you take an active role in managing this issue or drive more miles this issue isn't going away. These cars really aren't suited for low mileage drivers.

lb71

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Highline Manual w/ Nav
Did they replace the thermostat? My DPF and EGR filter were replaced two weeks ago on my 2012 golf at 65k miles and after replacement, they realized the engine was not getting up to temp to trigger a regen, so they replaced the thermostat under warranty as well. It's been about 300 miles since the work with no lights yet.

I'd talk to the service manager first and then VW. Your driving habits should not be a determining factor in whether or not you receive warranty service.
Yes, they did change the thermostat under warranty. Should have been more specific.

lb71

TDI
The cars do need to be driven a certain amount to let regens occur. With the proper knowledge and a few things the driver can greatly assist the car in letting these happen and complete, when needed. Whether this is grounds for refusing warranty or not you will have to work out with VW. There are a few apps along with an OBDII BT connector that will let you see when these are happening and the status. VAG-DPF is one android app. The OBDII adapters are like this one:

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

Some buy the cheapo Chinese ones, but I have had nothing but failures from them.

Unless you take an active role in managing this issue or drive more miles this issue isn't going away. These cars really aren't suited for low mileage drivers.
When they changed the DPF I did ask if it was worthwhile for me to keep the car given the mileage I put on and would it cause problems. I was told "no problems, keep the car since you are saving on gas". Now they tell me the opposite. I have been thinking of trading in. I do enjoy the car, but it may not be worth headaches at this point. I did the calcs recently and found I saved about $900 a year on fuel vs a gas car.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
As with most of these things, a little push goes a long way. In this case I would politely ask them which section of the warranty text allows them to deny coverage based on driving habits.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you keep the car learn about the regens and how to let them complete. This will greatly reduce your problems and interactions with VW. A little hassle every now and then can save you a lot later.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
I was told since I don't drive it enough they will not cover under warranty.
Ask whoever made that statement to show you where does it say in any VW literature, or the Dieselgate settlement agreement that you have to drive the vehicle a minimum of X miles per day / week / month / year in order for the warranty to become effective. I can guarantee you they will choke on the answer because no such clause exists anywhere and they are just giving you an unhealthy dose of BS.

Last year in July, I sold my 2010 Jetta back to VW. At that time, the buyback option was in effect for quite some time, so I had plenty of time to ponder the pluses and minuses of whatever I decided to do. I was frequently scanning this web site for feedback on how the fixed vehicles performed, and what I read only solidified my conviction that having the car fixed and keep driving it would really be a bad idea.

Keep in mind that all the emissions components were originally designed with the cheating software in the equation, i.e. for light duty. Now, with the defeating software removed, all components of the emissions system are exposed to stresses they apparently were never designed for, and the net result is that some DPFs don't make it past the 1,000-mile mark, as you can read in this very thread.

You may have saved $ 900 per year in fuel expenses compared to a gasser, but are you really saving any money given how long the vehicle is out of commission when they are fixing it, and considering your time and expenses of getting the vehicle to the dealer and back? Most importantly, what happens when the extended warranty on the emissions system finally expires? If you go back a few posts in this thread, someone commented "I cannot afford to replace the DPF filter every 35,000 miles once the warranty is out!". My sentiment exactly. BTW, no gasser sold in the US has DPF, or urea tank, or NOx trap, or urea heater, or urea injectors. Not yet, anyway.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Had I had your car I would have sold it back too. The later models especially the 2015's were more tolerant to the fixes in my opinion. I have over 20k miles on my Beetle since I bought it new in 2017. No failed dpf there at all or soot on the tail pipe. Short tripping any diesel that needs to regen will cause issues. With a little knowledge and a tool or two should greatly reduce any regen issues that come up. Get VW to fix the car under warranty and then learn how to tell when one is happening and let them complete from now on. I would say your troubles will go away. Or trade it in if you don't want to hassle with it. It isn't a good choice for a short tripping car anyway. Bad initial choice on your part.

lb71

TDI
It isn't a good choice for a short tripping car anyway. Bad initial choice on your part.
Probably. At the time, I was set on getting a certain car within a certain budget. I wanted a manual transmission with a high trim level. Not many manufacturers offer manuals these days, and those that do usually offer it at a low trim. The Jetta allowed me to get what I want at my price point. Supply wasn't the greatest, but I came upon the TDI and was had rented diesel cars a few times in Europe.

To put my driving in context, I work from home two days a week. My commute is 30km one way. I would put on an additional 6,000km/year if I commuted daily. And the warranty extension basically amounts to an average driving of 19,333 km per year, which is what I am putting on right now.

Haven't had a chance to call the service manager yet, will post an update when I do.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You are going to have to take an active role in letting the regens occur and complete, if you want to have a better experience with the car. Get it fixed first though.

lb71

TDI
I spent the long weekend taking the long way for my errands. Lot of highway driving keeping the RPMs steady. There were a couple of times I heard the fan going and could smell the regen. My wife came home last week and I could hear the fan going as she pulled in. I hopped in the car and kept driving until the regen finished.

The check engine light remained though. I called the dealer on Friday and spoke with the service manager. I explained the situation and he found it odd. He asked I drop off the car again, which I did yesterday. Found code P0401. Ended up changing the EGR gaskets and clamps. Road tested it and fault returned. Found the exhaust flap was sticking and it was replaced. Tested and fault still there. Found failure at EGR cooler and replaced. All covered under the warranty. The car started to regen on the way home (the fan kicked in right away, and soon enough I could smell it). Took a longer route home.

They couldn't explain why the fault codes didn't come up last time (what they claimed). Don't think they are being fully transparent.

Thank you all for your input. I will be more attentive to my driving and will probably look to exchange the vehicle in the next year. I really like the pep this car offers. I was planning on keeping it for many years, but I can't have this kind of maintenance bill hanging over my head.

lb71

TDI
So at the end of the week after last picking up my car, the engine light goes on again. Call in to make an appointment for Monday (last week). They can't figure out what the problem is and say it is a regen issue. They drove it around for two hours on the highway. Wasn't charged for it "this time". I told them I can't believe it is a regen issue, I spent so much time driving it the prior weekend. What happens if it goes on again tomorrow? Well, give us a call they said.
Five minutes after I leave the dealer the CEL goes on. I dropped it off last Wednesday. They can't figure it out. They have been working with HO, sending them technical reports. I had stopped by a local mechanic before Wednesday and he read the codes for me - P0401, P240F and P2002. Same codes that resulted in the DPF being changed back in May.
Sigh.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The instructions in the TSB are very clear:
If code 401, check EGR connection input for soot. If soot present, replace both DPF and EGR filter.
I'm pretty sure I saved a copy of the TSB.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10150868-9999.pdf
List of parts the dealer should replace:
MY2009, MY2010-2014 Replacement of 2 piece system
Part No: Part Description Quantity
1K0 254 708 GX DPF 1
1K0 253 115 AE Seal 1
1K0 253 725 Clamp 2
1K0 253 725 B Clamp 1
1K0 253 120 B EGR Filter 1
1K0 253 115 AG Gasket 1
1K0 253 115 T Gasket 1
1K0 253 725 E Clamp 1
03G 131 547 H Gasket 1
Part numbers are accurate at time of publication. Always refer to ETKA for the latest part information.

Last edited:

lb71

TDI
Been meaning to post an update. I ended up picking it up and the CEL went on again the next day. Dropped it off again. They didn't know what to do with it. I asked that they changed the DPF and was told that's not the code (0401). They eventually had someone from HO in and they agreed to change the DPF. It's on back order and parts should be delivered in a few weeks. I went to pick up the car and as I drive home I hear a whizzing sound when I accelerate. They didn't properly tighten the EGR.

Meanwhile I have been test driving the 2019 Execline. I may make the switch.