Intercooler upgrade

Rui Augusto

TDI
VW Golf TDI 110 1999
I've been reading this forum for a while, but I haven't read all the posts, and I don't know if some of the things are already covered in other posts. If you dont mind and still want to help me I would thank.

I will be quite happy if I upgrade my intercooler to a bigger one or installing another. I've been searching for a while for the best mod. Here are some questions:

1- Anybody knows any equations or relationships between the dimensions of the intercooler and the power or torque I could gain? What is best, increase the front area or double the thikness of the intercooler? If I switch to an intercooler that fits on the OEM conections but is more thick about 1'' what could I expect from that? will a second intercooler help to get the air colder?

2- What is the best place to put another intercooler in series with the OEM. In front of the radiator? I'm gone put a ramair duct from the front grill and the airbox wont be necessary, If I put another intercooler in its place with a ramair to take the fresh air from the front bumper to that second intercooler...will it be a good place? Are the ducts too long?

3- I'm thinking of putting a water jet system, and I'm wondering if a system like the OEM windshield water spray will be good? Again I was thing of making somethig that could hold in this second intercooler some ice cubes that when they melt, cold water would spread by the intercooler area and help cold the air. Anybody tried this? Off course this would be use only in some circumstances like a drag race or cruising in the highway with a hot weather.

Of course whatever I will do, I will take some photos and you will see the work.

By the way, my Golf has 134hp and 319.4Nm torque.

thanks

------------------