05 passat Vag-com problems

worker

TDI
I recently got a new 05 passat. I am just playing around with it, and the only thing I can do with my vag-com is check for codes. All other features are locked out. Do I need to update my software or buy some new program?

worker

TDI
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by the B5 forum being better?, and I guess my VAG-COM is the registered version. Once again I'm not really sure. I've used it on numerous jetta's and bettles, and never had any problems accessing any of the parameters or measuring blocks.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Your car is a B5, this is the A4 forum. Maybe someone in the B5 forum shares your problem...
I think there is also a 'vag-com' forum...

penclnck

This question would be best placed in the "OBD Scanners" forum.

Here are a few things that can cause featurer to be "locked out".

1 - You are using a shareware version. A simple way to tell of you are using a shareware version is to ask yourself, "Did I purchase my interface cable directly from Ross Tech?". If the answer is no, then you have some odd ball 3rd party interface and unless you have sent $99 to Ross Tech, you are using the shareware version to which is really just ment to allow you to test your setup before you puchase the full version. Shareware will only give details on the first DTC, and only show the first 10 measuring blocks. Depending on the module you are scanning, some buttons won't do anything anyway. For example, if you scan the CCM (46) there is no such thing as "Basic Settings" for this module, but the button is there, just grey'd out and it doesn't do anything.

2 - Hardware issues. 3rd party odd ball interfaces have a nice habbit of not working. The software works... end of story. But these 3rd party interfaces can be of subpar quality. Most work fine for a lot of people... and a lot of people have ditched the junker 3rd party interfaces and purchased the real deal from Ross Tech for a reason. Your computer itself can cause issues as well, however, if you can scan DTCs, then the computer should be fine... but 3rd party interfaces can work fine with one control module but not the next in the same car.

3 - All possible features/options/modules are shown in VAG COM, but that doesn't mean your car has [insert random control module name here] installed. For example, you don't have a Navi system in your car, but there is a button you can click on to scan the Navi system. Would be no different if there was a button to scan the "Photon Missles".