Post Your Dynos Here Ii

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Post Your Dynos Here - 2

II that is - the first dedicated dyno thread got locked.

Reserved For Rules:

Rule #1 - This is not a tuning war - don't drink and post
Rule #2 - This is not a marketing thread - we know who sells all the sw & hw.
Rule #3 - This is intended to help newbies - let them feel welcome
Rule #4 - This is for information only - please don't post your TDI problems here!
Rule #5 - This is not a discussion thread of hybrid turbos vs other turbos.

FYI Original "Post Your Dyno" Thread - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=63313

Last edited:

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
RocketChip RallyVW Project - RC6

Silverbullet - 169hp/298ftlbs, 5500rpms, 10mm, pp502, hybrid 1752, RC6e
PD150 intake and inlet pipe, R32 maf housing/box, thru exhaust, keystone pump mod. light smoke

dyno:
http://ascension.globat.com/~rocketchip.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=21&fullsize=1
http://ascension.globat.com/~rocketchip.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=29&fullsize=1

changed pp502's for R520's - 197hp/361ftlbs egt=1400 more smoke
http://ascension.globat.com/~rocketchip.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=47&fullsize=1

changed pp502's for R520's - 205hp/390ftlbs egt-1600 water meth added, tweaked tune, heavy smoke
http://ascension.globat.com/~rocketchip.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=48&fullsize=1

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am8PstICax4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xBGyTs86ts

TDIRacing - 224hp/270ftlbs

dyno:
http://ascension.globat.com/~rocketchip.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=20&fullsize=1

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xds3W5_Zzio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LDGxmXprlA

SnowPerformance.net - water-methanol really cleans up things on the top end!
http://ascension.globat.com/~rocketchip.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=27&fullsize=1

One more - Nick's ride! ALH-RC4, pp520, 10mm, 1749vb
http://ascension.globat.com/~rocketchip.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pid=28&fullsize=1

(btw, these are RC6 baseline dynos - and require some more work, both hw and sw, more to come)

jsr's silver bullet -

R520's : http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2096317&postcount=158

tdimeister cam installed http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2206521&postcount=193

Last edited:

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
I like TDIracing's hp numbers but not the tq #'s he dosent have stock tq until 3300 rpm . How does it drive? looks like it would drive like my friends 1.8 . His dyno looks like that but has 250 hp . Isnt that the point in a deisel the low tq . Like your's tq peak in the lower rpm's .

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
hey TDIRacing if you drive down to the dyno day ill pay for your dyno so we have something to compare to. you know dyno #'s there dyno #'s here. What do ya say?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Those are great. Here's mine from last weekend, PP520s, not the 502s that are in there now.

Mods: RC6, 11mm pump, lift pump, R32 DSG airbox, snorkel, and MAF, PD150 intake and manifold, 2.5" turbo back exhaust, no CAT, larger SMIC.

The red line is from last fall's dyno day with RC4 and before correcting the air tables for the R32 MAF.

With the 502s I would expect numbers close to Jeff's even on the DSG's notoriously conservative dyno.

Oliver, I think you were lifting too early, especially in the race car run. My guy ran it to the fuel cutoff on one run but the dyno still read 5600. I want to see a true 6K! :eek:

Last edited:

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
bencarr23 said:
hey TDIRacing if you drive down to the dyno day ill pay for your dyno so we have something to compare to. you know dyno #'s there dyno #'s here. What do ya say?
Compare to what ben?

I have nothing to prove. I got it all on video with losts of people watching. Further, I could care less what I put down on another dyno. This is the same dyno, same location that I have done all my other dynos. My gains are very well documented and have yet to see anyone else get close to these numbers. This was a test for a very specific purpose in racing. This is not to be compared to a street turbo.

My offer to you Ben is you drive here and use the dyno i used. I will pay for it as well. What do you say?

NTDi

TDI
2003 Jetta
I was there for this and this is running STOCK airbox STOCK manifold. Yes the torque #s are low compared to others but phenomenal numbers in terms of HP. I am excited to see what happens with a different Intake manifold and maybe an awesome DP like mine ;)

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
NTDi said:
I was there for this and this is running STOCK airbox STOCK manifold. Yes the torque #s are low compared to others but phenomenal numbers in terms of HP. I am excited to see what happens with a different Intake manifold and maybe an awesome DP like mine ;)
Yes, stock intake and stock airbox was used. Yeah your DP is sweet, and your car looks better than mine as well.

But who was in whos mirror on our freeway run? LOL

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
TdiRacing said:
Compare to what ben?

I have nothing to prove. I got it all on video with losts of people watching. Further, I could care less what I put down on another dyno. This is the same dyno, same location that I have done all my other dynos. My gains are very well documented and have yet to see anyone else get close to these numbers. This was a test for a very specific purpose in racing. This is not to be compared to a street turbo.

My offer to you Ben is you drive here and use the dyno i used. I will pay for it as well. What do you say?
Funny, but when I posted my numbers, they were basically dismissed as false/inflated numbers, even though I was only comparing them to the results I had previously had on the same dyno. :rolleyes:

I also had nothing to prove, nor was I comparing my car to anyone else's, either directly or indirectly, and yet everyone has some sort of negative comment on the validity of the dyno runs, the integrity of myself, the shop that did the upgrades, and even the dyno owner. :rolleyes:

I'm getting a 3" turbo-back exhaust setup done, a PD in-tank fuel pump installed, and a software revision done in the next month or so and I plan on taking it to the same dyno for a comparison to the last 3 dyno sessions I've run the car on for the benefit of measuring the gains over the previous setups ... but I doubt I'll bother to post them here because, frankly, I'm tired of all the negativity that the majority of members here seem to be so eager to display in their posts these days. Kind of a shame, really. :rolleyes:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TdiRacing said:
My gains are very well documented and have yet to see anyone else get close to these numbers.
Oh and by the way, even if you take into consideration a 17% correction factor on my last dyno numbers (265 hp and 360 tq) I would have 220 hp and 300 tq which is pretty close to your numbers ... ;)

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
I hope to get out your way Ed very soon. Would like to ride in your car if possible just for fun to compare.

Dave's got a new dyno at his shop and we wanted to get some people in to make some runs on it. Maybe you can make it out when I am there?

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We'll play that one by ear. If all goes well, I'm actually planning a little road trip to the TDI Fest in Ohio! So if I don't see you out here on the West Coast, maybe I'll catch you there.

And as for taking my car to dyno it at Dave's, I don't think it would really be prudent of me to take my car (built by JSP) to Dave as it would be akin to his intake manifold being sent to an intake dyno test being run by a competitor (I'm sure Dave can understand where I'm coming from on this!)

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Dyno graph below. Essentially it's a 90% pushed PD130 engine. Still looking for that extra 10% to say it's pushed to the max. :D High, peak power is produced by a combo of a good turbo, and a good cam. Video of this run is in my sig. :)

dvst8r

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Ed way to SH!T on this thread... The point of this was just for dyno numbers, that is all, this is exactly why the last one got locked down.

I really hope we can get a mod to delete all of the comments and just have dyno numbers. Including this post!

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Nice peak hp numbers, but 50 hp at 2500 rpm, 80 hp at 3000 rpm, 125 hp at 3500 is not very street driveable, IMHO.

From the videos, Oliver's boost looks like ~10 psi at 3000-3500 rpm, ~20 psi at 4000 rpm, pegged high at 30+ psi at between 4000-4500 rpm, with the turbo sounding unhappy (compressor surge-like noise, cha cha cha cha). I'll bet he doesn't drive that particular file on the street. I wouldn't think that arrangement would drive all that well, unless he was holding back WOT until about 4000 rpm. Methanol injection helps a lot, but watch the peak cylinder pressures, you are in rod bending territory.

Last edited:

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
KERMA said:
Nice peak hp numbers, but 50 hp at 2500 rpm, 80 hp at 3000 rpm, 125 hp at 3500 is not very street driveable, IMHO.

From the videos, Oliver's boost looks like ~10 psi at 3000-3500 rpm, ~20 psi at 4000 rpm, pegged high at 30+ psi at between 4000-4500 rpm, with the turbo sounding unhappy (compressor surge-like noise, cha cha cha cha). I'll bet he doesn't drive that particular file on the street. I wouldn't think that arrangement would drive all that well, unless he was holding back WOT until about 4000 rpm.
Dont be an a$$ Charlie. You should know what that sound is. But in case others are wondering and you don't know, it is called an EXTERNAL WASTEGATE, with a dump tube to atmosphere.

Like my post above said, this is designed for one purpose and not for the street. But I have driven it for 5 weeks this way without any issues. Smokes a lot down low. Still gets 48mpg. That was with the PP502 injectors installed. Put 1500 miles and three tanks of fuel in so far.

You also forget that BOOST is not the only element. Focusing on the boost is silly, because a larger turbo can FLOW more air. Flow is what is important given the boost level requested. A tiny turbo can make 30PSI boost, but can't sustain the flow needed at high rpms.

You should know all this.??? Makes me wonder:rolleyes:

I do not want to cloud this thread with crap, so if someone has questions about my dyno, IM me.

Moderators will hopefully edit all the junk out and just keep the dynos.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
TdiRacing said:
Compare to what ben?

Man whats up with that ??? did you take that the wrong way or what....
All i meant was that if your driving it down here then what is the harm and we can see if the #'s im getting are to high or low thats all man what crawled up your butt? And hell yea if you pay for the gas to ill be on my way one weekend after the dyno day.

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
Jeff, I've wanted to see a thread like this since I came to TDiClub, and would love to see it work out for everyone's benefit. I have a few suggestions for rules, do what you will with them:

- No comments on other people's numbers by anyone.
- Everyone posting numbers should list all their (power-related) mod's. I don't want to hear look at their profile, or signature - they change with time.

It also seemed pretty obvious to me that Oliver's setup was meant for racing, so maybe people could also post a quick description in instances that may elicit negative responses.

All this negative crap is like the kiddie sites: inflammatory remarks begets needless defensiveness begets inflammatory remarks. . .

Last edited:

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup

Here is comparison of my previous dynos with the VNT17/20 hybrid. Compare this to the new dyno in links above. My larger turbo yielded a much higher HP number, but moved the power band way over. This is a clear example of what happens when you run a larger turbo(much larger in my case).

This is why you always have to ask what your purpose is. Just adding a larger turbo can have drastic effects on the power band. Usable power is the key to having a FAST car. Making big numbers doen't mean a lower powered car will not beat you at the drag strip or road course.

We regularly beat cars with a lot more power in The Pro Rally races because we have such a large usable power band. Low end TQ is very key in rally given its nature. For road racing it is not so important and the focus moves to more HP to get the top end we need, sacrificing the low end TQ to get more HP.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I see the point of a thread like this is to see cause and effect. People are going to have comments and questions. Let's just hope people can be civil--so far we're not doing very well on that score.

BTW, my sig is current, except, as noted, I didn't have the PP502s in my car for that dyno--they were PP520s.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Thanks for posting the graphs and video links. Nice to see what can be done. Man sign me up! I hope to have a graph to post within the month.

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
My point about the sig's and profiles is that 1 year after you post the dyno, your profile may be completely different; I'm unsure if the sig in your past posts changes if you alter it at any given point in time.

I agree that comments/questions should be included, but at the rate TDiClub is going, it seems somewhat utopian to think this will occur without the ubiquitous BS. I think what we really need is a thread that contains only dynos, and then a separate one that contains dynos and comments. can see this thread becoming 20 pages long with a dyno on every second page (with help from my dyno-less posts) - this hardly seems like the best way to form a reference thread.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Nice numbers on Olivers car. Very nice actually :D

Heres mine.
R520+ pump with 12mm head and other mods done to it
Lift pump
3" exhaust and SDI intake
Cam+ ported head
GT2256V hybrid with 45.6mm turbine and custom 56mm compressor.
Other crap like fuel cooler etc. Cant remember all :D

And heres a video of the run: