Fuse 17

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
So am working on the Passat a little at a time... Asked this question but think it got lost and need some guidance.

Based on the error codes - got this advice:
Most of the codes suggest a blown fuse in the ECM box at the base of the windshield on the drivers side. This fuse feeds most of the engine electrics.

This was what I found:
Which fuse specifically? Fuse 17 was blown but all I can figure out is that there is a picture of a compass on the fuse card. I now have a different issue related. The contacts in the 17 position seem to be pushed in and so the replacement fuse isn't making contact.

Is there any easy way to access the backside of the fuse panel? And why exactly does fuse 17 do?

Sam

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
Thank you - I thought I had checked the owners manual and couldn't recall finding anything. Power outlet being the cigarette lighter?

Do you know what the "telematics" is in reference too?

Appreciate the help.

Sam

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
It's the cigarette lighter on the front but there is another behind the arm rest facing the back seats.......and maybe another one (can't remember) in the trunk. No idea what telematrics means. Get your hands on a wiring diagram and see where that fuse leads to.

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
Will do, I have a Haynes on it's way and looking for a Volkswagon factory service manual (I do not know what VW calls it). Had to get the car emissions tested and it passed - except CEL. I have to get the CEL off to get plates and only have 20 days left.

Anyone know the easiest way to access the backside of the fuse panel? I have to fix that before being able to figure out if on going issue with fuse.

Sam

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
The fuse I'm talking about is not in the fuse panel. It is in the ECM box in the rain tray at the base of the windshield on the drivers side. It's a single fuse holder. You can access most of the ECM box screws after removing the rain tray cover. The rearmost screw is accessible via a plug in the windshield base trim. It takes some wiggling to get the cover off, but it can be done.
Thank you - will check that out tonight.

Sam

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
But QTD, if the fuse at the ECM is blown, the car will not run will it?

For the fuse block, there are 2 8mm bolts holding it in. Remove those and push the fuse block out of metal frame. You can then unsnap the back cover which will give you access to all the connections. (There may be a tie wrap you have to cut where all the wires enter)

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Thx. Guess i was thinking about the relay beside it

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
That rain cowl is no joke... Still haven't figured out the code to pull it off and it is broken in a few more places than it was. Now I have to find one that isn't broken and add to the pile of parts.

Sam

LL-Slayer

TDI
2004 Passat
So for anyone who needs to remove the rain splash guard. It is very simple. Use a plastic trim tool along underneath the splash guard. All of the videos and posts I read said to pry along the engine compartment side. From the window side, was up in just a few seconds. Removing wipers (which I had already done) is also very good suggestion. Thank you im0.

ECU fuse was fine. Rescanned it with my scanner and got completely different codes.

Sam