www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old August 29th, 2018, 19:21   #1
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank
Default microwave cracking?

OK, the WVO crowd is pretty large, and on this forum pretty low profile, so how about the cracking guys and gals?

Recently, a friend mentioned that he would like to start playing with microwave fuel cracking from waste motor oil. I have strongly discouraged him from directly using WMO in the past, and made my beliefs in the order of priority of resource use putting cracking (recycling) far below resource recovery (re-refining to capture lube base stocks). But, the market for re-formulated motor oils seems to be slipping away so maybe cracking to fuel makes sense???

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/77408248.pdf

I have made atmospheric distilled overhead products into motor fuel when experimenting with building thin film evaporator(s) for base oil vacuum distillation, but never played with thermal cracking as the pressures and temps can be dangerously high and the carbon fouling a bit of a chore (I think that contracts to bit..ch) to clean out regularly.
4L='14 Q7 TDI, B7='15TDI(buy back), B6='09 wagon gasser, A4=2003 TDI Variant, A3=Golf CL, A2=2x1.6 Jetta TDs, Golf Syncro Country, A1=Scirocco Mk1 & 16v, Audi 5000TD, 2014 I, Porsche 924/M471 and a bunch of diesel trucks.
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2018, 08:43   #2
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

I'm pretty sure the guys that pick up the waste oil where I work are doing cracking into fuel rather than any sort of lube oil stuff. Just selling it as crude oil more or less, as with modern cracking that's what it can be.

Interested to see where this goes, been running waste ATF thinned with gasoline in my IDIs for years now. Never looked too far into how hydrocarbon cracking works
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote