www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old July 7th, 2016, 11:53   #1
elcid86
Veteran Member

Default Am I crazy for considering buying another (to then turn in)?

Am I the only one thinking of flipping a TDI? Or am I missing something in the proposed buy-back terms that prevents that?

I found a pretty good deal on a local car that could be bought and turned in for several thousand dollars.

Crazy? Thanks.

2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG - White Wabbit
2004 BMW 330i ZHP - Red Rehab
elcid86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 12:04   #2
DanB36
Veteran Member

No, you aren't the only one thinking of it, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's done it.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 12:12   #3
elcid86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
No, you aren't the only one thinking of it, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's done it.
Thanks!

Old July 7th, 2016, 14:35   #4
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

You and previous owner split it......bought after 9/15/15, you only get a percentage,not full value. Not gospel,I read it in a news article-I'd do some research before doing it.I'm curious on how all the used ones for sale now at used car dealers will shake out.....
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 30k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 178hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 427k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 17:48   #5
DanB36
Veteran Member

There are at least a few threads discussing this in more detail in the Dieselgate forum. In short, an owner who sells after 6/28 gets nothing, and there's at least a fair argument that a post-6/28 buyer gets full buyback.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW, 2013 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Jetta Sedan, 2015 Audi A3
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 19:04   #6
Jimmy Coconuts
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB36 View Post
I've hit it 3 times...and looking for #4.
Jimmy Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 01:26   #7
elcid86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny View Post
You and previous owner split it......bought after 9/15/15, you only get a percentage,not full value. Not gospel,I read it in a news article-I'd do some research before doing it.I'm curious on how all the used ones for sale now at used car dealers will shake out.....

This doesn't sound right. How do they get paid? What if it's from a dealer...?

Old July 8th, 2016, 01:28   #8
elcid86
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Coconuts View Post
I've hit it 3 times...and looking for #4.

You must have a big driveway! I think my neighbors would be a bit irritated (but I am thinking about it!)

Old July 8th, 2016, 01:31   #9
Jimmy Coconuts
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid86 View Post
You must have a big driveway! I think my neighbors would be a bit irritated (but I am thinking about it!)
Not big enough...heh. Do what you gotta do. Early bird gets the worm. Pay no attention to any sob stories.
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:51   #10
stoner-tdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 right now... going for more

so how does this work? I have access to some cash in hand and flipping sounds good...

-are the settlements happening right now? or is it buy and wait?
-are you buying from people or dealers?

I don't think I will be stepping on anyone's toes if I buy a few I think there are enough.. for dieselgate talk im not referring to how much will I get back... I already know the numbers are in my favor if I buy cheap.. I would like to know the buying side please
stoner-tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 16:30   #11
jims2321
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Coconuts View Post
Not big enough...heh. Do what you gotta do. Early bird gets the worm. Pay no attention to any sob stories.

You've tagged and insured all of those cars your picking up? If not, I would make extra sure that they would qualify. I am sure buried deep in the court documents on page xxxx, subsection yyyy, paragraph zzz, that there is a some clause about trading in mulitple TDI's purchase after Sept 2015. Otherwise why wouldn't a use car dealer pick them up at auctions and such...
jims2321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 02:32   #12
Jimmy Coconuts
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims2321 View Post
You've tagged and insured all of those cars your picking up? If not, I would make extra sure that they would qualify. I am sure buried deep in the court documents on page xxxx, subsection yyyy, paragraph zzz, that there is a some clause about trading in mulitple TDI's purchase after Sept 2015. Otherwise why wouldn't a use car dealer pick them up at auctions and such...
All titled, registered and insured. All titles verified as clean, and all VINs verified as eligible vehicles prior to purchase. Luckily I can store a couple at my place of employment, which is gated with video. I haven't found any text in the settlement docs which sets a limit on the number of vehicles any one person can turn-in, so I'll continue buying if the price is right.
Old July 18th, 2016, 23:28   #13
MKVI_TDI

Just be careful because if the previous owner owned the car when dieselgate broke then you will likely be splitting the buyback with the previous owner. It seems that even applies if the previous owner traded it in to a dealer.
MKVI_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 07:05   #14
Freeze Plug
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKVI_TDI View Post
Just be careful because if the previous owner owned the car when dieselgate broke then you will likely be splitting the buyback with the previous owner. It seems that even applies if the previous owner traded it in to a dealer.
you will only be splitting the restitution portion. Current owner will receive fill buyback amount + 50% restitution + up to 50% of eligible seller's restitution depending how many eligible sellers come forward
Freeze Plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 20:35   #15
TdiSandiego

If you buy it after the june 28th announcement, the previous owner gets zilch.
TdiSandiego is offline   Reply With Quote