TDI insurance

**DONOTDELETE**

Just bought a 2000 TDI golf GLS... in part due to the rave reviews on this and other sites. Love it BUT my insurance company wants $812 for a mature driver with no blemishes on my record. They say the marque has a poor safety record. I'm with Old Guard and live in Chester County Pa. Any comments

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Shop around.

I have GEICO and the diesel engine lowered my premium even more than going with the 4-cylinder.

Rates vary quite a bit across the country.

Maybe the Old Guard needs to be relieved. How long have they been standing watch for you?

Sun Baked GL

Veteran Member
Depending on where you live and how the policies are handled in your state, sometimes shopping the policy to several different agents within the same company can yield wildly different quotes.

Did anyone read the "Snake Killer" artile in the Newtimes about how State Farm handles their policy claims?

Newtime's State Farm Article

[This message has been edited by Sun Baked GL (edited November 25, 2000).]

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
Certainly I am ignorant of other people's experience with State Farm, which is my auto insurer. About 15 years ago, I had two accidents within a month (icy winter roads), and I think State Farm did very well for me. Fast claim resolution, and only a minor rate increase after the second accident.

I received a quote from them for either Jetta or Golf TDI at approximately 670$ a year for "full" coverage (higher than typical liability coverage, don't have exact details in front of me). I currently haver their A++ rating and no driving record faults.

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
Yeah, when I got rid of my PIG silverado and bought a TDI my insurance company jacked up my rates because of the turbocharger.

"But Mr Insurance agent, it's a 90hp diesel that gets 50mpg!..."

It didn't work, so I took my business elsewhere. Along with my homeowners insurance, and the insurance on my wife's car.

osidak

Veteran Member
TDI
'17 BRZ Limited PP
I am with Nation Wide and while I haven't put them to the test and I never want to they have been pretty good.

I have three cars on the policy
A Porsche 911 (my toy)
VW Jetta TDI Gls
Dodge Neon (my wifes car)

I pay a grand total of $927 a year for all three and the Neon is the most expensive of the bunch.

Hey before I catch any flak my wife is waiting for a TDI Passat (if they bring one across)

Osidak

TDi Guys

Veteran Member
I went with geico a few years ago, lured by low rates. I had heard horror stories about them, so I was cautious. Two years ago my car was stolen (an extremely low mileage mint 91 Talon awd). I got it back eventually, but it was trashed - it had been smoked in (with burn holes), driven OFF ROAD hard, wrecked, scratched, etc. Geico wanted to total it but I owed more than the wholesale value; they offered to NOT total it, and pay me up to the current value of the vehicle for repairs! I fixed the car to perfection, and sold it for over its retail value. Seven months ago I totalled my 00 nb tdi (you all have seen the pics
) just a few weeks after I bought it. Geico paid off the car to the tune of a grand over the original sticker price! Needless to say I did not have to worry about a deductable...
AND my rates have never gone up, they have gone down in fact.

S

SkyPup

Thanks for the Snake Farm post, I'll have nightmares dreaming what it would be like if I ever had had them for an insurance company.
Guaranteed I won't!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Or, you could be with All Snake, who had an adjuster sit in front of my lawyer and claim that I and my son had suffered no injuries. Ha. We had pictures of him (10 years old) with knees the size of grapefruit and huge contusions all over his legs and body. Myself - I have a permanent partial tear in the medial collateral ligament of my left knee. I told my lawyer that anytime that adjuster wanted I would be happy to sit him in a chair and use a baseball bat to show him what "not injured" feels like.

My own company, USAA, is nothing short of sterling, though. I'd recommend them to anyone eligible. They will truly look out for their own insured.

------------------
"I love the smell of [burning diesel] in the morning. It smells like ... victory!"

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 1999, Cool White
I had Farmers insurance until I got my new Jetta. They wanted $440 for 6 months coverage. I shopped around and got Prudential. I had them years ago and their rates had gone through the roof. Aparently they must have lost a lot of business over the years and decided to lower their rates. I wound up switching all my insurances to Prudential and saved about $800 a year. I gave Farmers an opportunity to meet the Pru. quotes, but they didn't care to. Being insured with a company for a long time doesn't matter these days. Shop and save!!

diesel_freak

Veteran Member
USAA. Hands down the best insurance agency in the country, if you can get in. Must have served in the military or have been the dependent of a veteran, reservist, or active duty member.

Piss on State Farm.

Sun Baked GL

Veteran Member
This is interesting:

The State Farm Vehicle Safety Discount (VSD) Program rates the 2000 Model Golf/Jettas the same as a Hyundai.

Looks like with the VSD they are using the same type of discount structure of the long distance companies, everybody gets a discount of at least 20% on PIP. But who pays the non-discount rate?
http://www.statefarm.com/media/release/discount.htm

At State Farm the Golf/Jetta's rate a 20% PIP discount and a "higher-than-standard" collision/comprehensive.

And I though the program was for SUVs, look like they're gonna gouge everyone else to make it up.

DanB35

Veteran Member
Just FWIW... I'm currently with American Family, who's charging $365 every 6 months (100/300/50, $250 comp & coll deductible). They were the cheapest by a significant margin when I shopped quotes, including Geico, State Farm, Allstate, and several others.

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue

Vroom

Veteran Member
TDI
mrrobmora
Any Canadians here?
I just bought a 2001 Golf GL TDI and have the priveledge of paying $1900CDN/year to drive it. I'm a pretty young guy (23) but I've been driving for 7 years now with only so much as a parking ticket to my name. That's more money than most of my friends pay, but I would expect the TDI to be less... what are you folks paying?

I'm thinking maybe I should get some insurance over here in the US instead (I'm living in Rochester, NY for the moment), but I don't know if I want the trouble of transfering the registration or whatever else that would require.

sljkr

Veteran Member
Go to www.progressive.com and they will issue you a quote through their online service. They will also show you rates for up to three other competitive companies. This could show you some comparison with your current rates. In Texas I am paying $563 per 12 months on my NB TDI with a clean record, through Allstate. Most of these companies will have those who love them and the horror stories as well. The key is to drive safely and never need your insurance company in the first place.

------------------
99 Silver NB TDI

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
my 2000 JEDI TDI ($21,000msrp) is only $3 more a month then was my '99 NB ($17,200msrp) through Farmers Ins..

so i bought it hehehe.

i thought i just read somewhere on the forums that VW got some kinda saftey recognition?

wish you luck
garrett P.

------------------
2000 JEDI TDI Silver
Full Commander, Prime Minister of Power and all that is good
assistant to President Valois in the UPsolute territory

RainCoast Jetta

Here in BC we have Insurance Corp. of British Columbia. It is goverment run and can be a pain at times.
For me the insurance on our 2001 Jetta would be almost $1600 per year. My wife has a forty percent safe driving discount so everything goes in her name. Our rate for the car works out to $972 per year for full coverage. Not the cheapest, but I was amazed tgat it came in cheaper than my 89 Volvo wagon.

------------------
Skids are for kids, real helicopters have wheels.

Ron 33

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta GLS Atlantic Blue, Manual
Geico....$308.00 Six month policy.100/300/50 Most states have different rates depending on your location and how much you drive and of course your driving record.
Note $1000.00 Deductible will save most folks about 15-25%. Put the money for your deductible in a mutual fund and hopefully you'll never have a need and it will grow.
Great forum.

Ron

------------------
Y2K Jetta GLS TDI 5 Spd Atlantic Blue

TDIzack

Old Guard is ripping you off. I am a 26yr old male and I only pay $600 per year to insure my TDI....Full coverage! Call Ohio Casualty Insurance.

Daryl

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon 2004 Silver
I am paying $1400 CDN per year. This was the best price I could find for a 27 year old driver with a spotless record. The golf GL is listed as one of the top 10 cars most expensive cars to insure due to theft and accident rates. I am happy to be subsidizing bad drivers and car thieves...

------------------
2001 Indigo Golf GL TDI 5spd
I am a TDI Addict and there is no cure.

[This message has been edited by Daryl (edited December 10, 2000).]