Diesel price...

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
Took $71 yesterday to fill up a Golf

1.46 petro in kitchener, is there even a point in driving a TDI today..??

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
In Abbotsford, BC at the HUSKY $ 1.359 (I filled up)
Chilliwack, BC at the ESSO $ 1.399

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I'm going back to a gasser if this crap keeps up, what's the point I'm trying to save money t the pumps when diesel has tripled in price in the last 12 yrs, has has doubled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I've been noticing the price difference eroding the past few weeks.

Yesterday, I was filling up the Avalanche and saw D2 at a Shell near me. The price between RUG and diesel was about $0.40 but the difference between premium and diesel was only $0.20 or 5%. RUG was $3.77, PUG was $3.93 and D2 was $4.13.

Of course, the AV still costs about $50 more than the Jetta to fill up. :)

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I'm filling my M5 gasser with premium at under 1.40 :D

Just took notice the diesel price the other day, W-TF?

Last edited:

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
1.449 yesterday at Petro-Canada on King St. E in Kitchener. I hope there weren't any kids or old ladies around when I spotted the price.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
I'm going back to a gasser if this crap keeps up, what's the point I'm trying to save money t the pumps when diesel has tripled in price in the last 12 yrs, has has doubled.

I remember when I started driving my first diesel in March 2003 (11 years ago), diesel was around 65 cents. Today it averages at $1.40, so not exactly triple in price, just over double. This time the long and cold winter has added to the demand for heating oil. And it will come down in summer time as the demand for heating oil drops significantly.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I remember when I started driving my first diesel in March 2003 (11 years ago), diesel was around 65 cents. Today it averages at $1.40, so not exactly triple in price, just over double. This time the long and cold winter has added to the demand for heating oil. And it will come down in summer time as the demand for heating oil drops significantly.

I used to get it at Flying J at $0.43/L in 2002

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
But guys, remember you get 30%+ fuel efficiency over gasser. I'm going thru the pain of fuelling up twice as often as before even when RUG is $0.10 cheaper than D2.

Exactly. As much as it does hurt, I still wouldn't drop any of our diesels for a gasoline engine when we can still drive double the distance compared to gasoline cars.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
It's winter, are some of you guys forgetting this? Home heating oil consumption goes up, and so does the price of diesel. This happens every single year, lol.

Buy a gasser and drive it in the winter if the per L price bugs you that bad..

DeezelDust

TDI
06 jetta
$1.39.9 in Thamesford east of London. The Spiffy Stop has great quality diesel. My friend with a Dodge Cummins TD said he gets about 200 Klms more per tank than when he buys on the highway, especially in the USA.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
But guys, remember you get 30%+ fuel efficiency over gasser. I'm going thru the pain of fuelling up twice as often as before even when RUG is $0.10 cheaper than D2.
I would say it is much better than 30%. Compared to a 2.0L Jetta, definitely higher by at least 50%.

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
It's winter, are some of you guys forgetting this? Home heating oil consumption goes up, and so does the price of diesel. This happens every single year, lol.

Buy a gasser and drive it in the winter if the per L price bugs you that bad..

i agree but i think last year average was 1.30 if im not mistakened.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
i agree but i think last year average was 1.30 if im not mistakened.
Highest I've paid to date was 133.9 on 24 Feb 2013 - got a feeling my next fill will be more than that :eek:

Lowest I paid last summer was 117.9 on 16 May 2013.

Simon

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I have tracked every fuel purchase since new in April 2010 along with a comparison to regular gas... it is nuts that it is so costly but such is life...I just bought a gas guzzler too and plan to enjoy it and not worry about fuel consumption or gas mileage when driving it...time to start living!! PS still keeping the TDI to get to and from work at 160km/day...

vili19

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf TDI
I read somewhere where February is when refineries traditionally go offline for maintenance. So I dont think we'll be seeing a price drop in diesel anytime soon...

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
Keep in mind that during the summer driving months, RUG and Diesel prices swap places -upwards of 0.10 - 0.20 / L more than diesel.

This is just normal winter prices with a kick of intense cold to drive prices up a bit more. This to will pass.

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
It's not just the high price of diesel fuel in winter, but that economy plummets by about one-third.

So we're not only paying way more, we're getting way less out of it.

And 30% fuel consumption is about what a diesel saves compared to a gasser.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It's not just the high price of diesel fuel in winter, but that economy plummets by about one-third.

So we're not only paying way more, we're getting way less out of it.
1/3 is a bit extreme. I loose about 10% economy in the winter. Some of it is due to lower BTU rating of winterized fuel, some of it is the cold temps that affect mileage due to extended warm up and other cold weather issues, such as lower tire pressures, denser air, etc.

And 30% fuel consumption is about what a diesel saves compared to a gasser.
Maybe if you compare a light Civic to a heavy Jetta. But 2 same cars, a gas Jetta and a diesel Jetta, the mileage is at least 50% better. A gas Jetta (either 2.0 or 1.8T) is rated at a combined 24mpg. A TDI is rated at 38mpg.

Source: Http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2000_Volkswagen_Jetta.shtml

Not to mention, those are stock figures. We have proved that we can get a significant increase in MPG with some slight modifications. Easy to do with a diesel, not easy to do with a gasser. I can get 1400km to a tank in my car without even trying. That is 100% better than a similarly equiped gas Jetta that would be lucky to get 700km on a tank.

Last edited:

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
Maybe if you compare a light Civic to a heavy Jetta. But 2 same cars, a gas Jetta and a diesel Jetta, the mileage is at least 50% better. A gas Jetta (either 2.0 or 1.8T) is rated at a combined 24mpg. A TDI is rated at 38mpg.
I've had gas Jetta loaners, and 50% difference in mileage is about right.

24MPG for a gasser is also kindof funny - my 2500 RAM Cummins gets ~23MPG on the hwy, and it weighs a lot more than a Jetta. :p

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I get the same economy year round. I assume it's because I drive mostly 400-series highways at the de-facto speed limit, and run 15" winters and 17" summers.

Simon

LOL, funny u mention that Simon. I get the same year round to and all I do is hwy driving. Maybe people don't take in account the heavy steely rims they run in the winter, idling the car to warm ups and the stop and go driving because a lot of people forget how to drive in the winter? Everyone is quick to blame it in the "winter fuel" witch is just an anti gelling additive like PS.

And this to.(I know its about gassers but still pertains)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/coldweather.shtml

Andrew

Last edited:

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Just broke a record but not happy about this one. :(
Paid 141.9 for Diesel yesterday, that's an all time high for me. I've been tracking my TDI mileage, and fuel prices since Feb. 2007 and the lowest I've paid is 72.9 (spring '09) and now it's almost double. :eek:
Since the start of this year I've also recorded the price of regular unleaded gasoline (RUG) every time I fill up with diesel. It will be interesting to see the swing in prices throughout the 4 seasons, and will also give me more data to compare operating costs, gas vs. diesel.