Trusted TDI Mechanic in West Virginia

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI, 2015 Jetta TDI
I seen Ray's name on the trusted TDI mechanic list about a year ago and saved his number for when I came across an issue that I can't take care of myself. I took my 99.5 Golf TDI down to him to change the injection pump. When I called him he said "I recommend getting a timing belt from the Volkswagen dealer, I wouldn't use no other if it were my car", so I did and took my car down to him. Just picked it up a little bit ago and it is running perfect! Just by talking to him for the hour or so that I did it is obvious that he knows his stuff. He told me that he's been working on diesels for 45 years and VW's the last 15 years. He worked at Star motors in Clarksburg for 12 years before retiring and doing what he does now. I will definitely go back to him without any hesitation. Just wanted to share my experience hoping to help him out in any way I can. He is a very nice guy. I look forward to going back just to BS (but not the repair bill)...Haha

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I seen Ray's name on the trusted TDI mechanic list about a year ago and saved his number for when I came across an issue that I can't take care of myself. I took my 99.5 Golf TDI down to him to change the injection pump. When I called him he said "I recommend getting a timing belt from the Volkswagen dealer, I wouldn't use no other if it were my car", so I did and took my car down to him. Just picked it up a little bit ago and it is running perfect! Just by talking to him for the hour or so that I did it is obvious that he knows his stuff. He told me that he's been working on diesels for 45 years and VW's the last 15 years. He worked at Star motors in Clarksburg for 12 years before retiring and doing what he does now. I will definitely go back to him without any hesitation. Just wanted to share my experience hoping to help him out in any way I can. He is a very nice guy. I look forward to going back just to BS (but not the repair bill)...Haha
Do you know which parts were replaced at the same time as the timing belt itself?

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI, 2015 Jetta TDI
He changed the timing belt and the injection pump. He suggested the kit with the water pump but I actually only had about 40,000 miles on it since I changed everything so I just got the belt.

crn3

TDI
2005.5 Jetta & 2009 Touareg
Do appreciate you passing along your experience. With Clarksburg only an hour away, I'll keep him in mind for any major work I may need done.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
He changed the timing belt and the injection pump. He suggested the kit with the water pump but I actually only had about 40,000 miles on it since I changed everything so I just got the belt.
:/

No reason to do a belt only when you're already in there.