B5/B5.5 specific how-to threads/posts

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
oilhammer said:
The next B5 I get for CV boots I will try and get some pics. :eek:
I got tired of waiting. ;) See list above.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
MOGolf said:
I want to thank you for the procedure. I did this job yesterday and basically you saved me from giving $450 to the stealership. :eek:

Job took a while but not too hard to do. I would like to make a comment about taking apart the joint. I found it easier to put in a long bolt (or a punch or rod), smaller diameter then the original axle bolt, in to the joint end through to the axle shaft. Then sandwhich the axle between two blocks of wood with the joint placed straight and square against the side of the wood blocks. Next with a hammer, strike the bolt head and the joint separates very easily.
With that said, this brings me to this question.... Why soooo much torque on the axle bolt when only a spring clip is holding the joint together and it can easily pop apart?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It cannot pop apart in the car, because it is not loaded like that.

The outer bolt serves to hold the wheel bearing halves together, that is why it must be so tight. It has nothing to do with the CV joint itself.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
oilhammer said:

The outer bolt serves to hold the wheel bearing halves together, that is why it must be so tight. It has nothing to do with the CV joint itself.
That's what I thought about the bearing halves. But wasn't sure. I do have to say it is a lot of force turning that bolt, I used almost a four feet cheater bar for that last half turn to tighten. I was afraid I was going to sheer it off and be SOL!

Last edited:

JamesJr

TDI
1999.5 Jetta, 2005 Passat Wagon TDi
Anyone have a B5 2005 Passat TDI timing belt replacement how to? I have got all the tools form Diesel Geek but would like some instructions to pre-read to get all ready for the job!!! Thanks!!!!

oilhammer

TDI
JamesJr said:
Anyone have a B5 2005 Passat TDI timing belt replacement how to? I have got all the tools form Diesel Geek but would like some instructions to pre-read to get all ready for the job!!! Thanks!!!!
Putting the lock carrier in service position (see above) is step 1.

The actual timing belt is the same as the BEW (2004+ A4 platform Golf/Jetta engine).

Then the balance shaft upgrade (see above) which you need is beyond that part.

oilhammer

TDI
JamesJr said:
So i should do the balance shaft upgrade at the same time? What does that entail?
Yes, it would be beneficial since you are already halfway there.

The first post above has all the info you seek, under "balance shaft module replacement".

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bump. Added outside mirror disassembly procedure PDF to the list in the first post.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bump because I added PDF to the list in post one. It explains how to access the ECM, power relary 219, fuse for the glow plugs, fuse for injectors, and fuse for the heated oxygen sensor.

:)

dieselbeavis

TDI
2001 golf tdi;2005 VW Passat TDI
balance shaft replacement for the home mechanic

Finished the BS replacement a about a month ago and took pics of some of the sticky areas.
Some tips for the home mechanic in replacing the Passat balance shaft module. Use Oilhammers how-to...very helpful for the first timer

Make sure you have a full set of torx drivers both ratchet and screwdriver type.

Support the engine using a couple of 2x10s held up on each end with a notched 2x4.
Stick a screwdriver in the holes on each side and in front of the notched 2x4 to prevent it from slipping. The 2x4’s fit perfectly between the fender and the hood gasket. Use cargo straps with a ratchet to jack it up and for safety clamp the webbing to the 2x10.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=61842&cat=4719[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=61841&cat=4719
Make a couple of band straps to lock the crank gear in place and definitely paint a mark on the flywheel for piece of mind. Things move.

Pulling the sprocket:
Use two 5/16”x3” hardened allen bolts with a flat ground on the side along with a flange puller to remove the chain sprocket. The heads of the bolts just fit inside and if the ends of the heads are ground about 1mm or so, they will be able to grab onto the sprocket.
Comes off easy and in one piece as you can see
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=61843&cat=4719

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] Use crazy glue and a piece of keyway to prevent the BS module from rotating during installation. Knock it loose and clean off the glue residue with a razor after installation.
[FONT=&quot]http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=61846&size=big&cat=4719
[/FONT]
Use a 3/8” ratchet in the BS idler gear to tighten – it is a spline bolt but a 3/8” fits almost perfect.

Crank shaft seal is was a pain - use a 1.5” long piece of 1” PVC pipe and round the cut corners with fine SiC paper, slip the Teflon seal on and then align it on the shaft and slide it on to the shaft. Diameter of the shaft and the pvc pipe is almost perfect.

The frame alignment holes are 20mm and the wheel stud removal bar that comes with the car is also 20 mm – wish I hadn’t had to do it but necessity is the mother of something.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=61844&cat=4719&ppuser=17149

PS. one used BS module in good condition for sale

oilhammer

TDI
I think he meant a paint mark on the flywheel while the crank sprocket and gear is off, as at that point there is nothing to show wear the crank is. This is just an extra piece-of-mind, not a necessity.

Once the gear, sealing flange, seal, and sprocket are back in place on the front, you can put the crankshaft DTC tool back in place and do the timing belt as usual.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I would like to make a comment about taking apart the joint. I found it easier to put in a long bolt (or a punch or rod), smaller diameter then the original axle bolt, in to the joint end through to the axle shaft. Then sandwhich the axle between two blocks of wood with the joint placed straight and square against the side of the wood blocks. Next with a hammer, strike the bolt head and the joint separates very easily.
Ha. Here I come to make a suggestion to be added to the how-to and you've already done it. This makes separation much easier than bashing on the side of the cv joint.

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
RE: Balance Shaft Replacement Procedure

Two questions:

1) How can I tell (I have a VAG-COM and "intermediate" mechanical skills, e.g., the most difficult repair I've successfully completed myself is coolant system thermostat replacement) if this procedure has already been done to my car (I do not trust the dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle)?

2) How can I differentially diagnose this as my problem should it come up (i.e., what other problems cause similar symptoms, what are those symptoms, and are there any symptoms which are characteristically indicative of this problem)?

Thanks in advance!

OlyDLG

clicker

TDI
2004 Passat 2.0 TDI
Driver door won't open from outside

I have a 2004 Passat that won't open from the outside. Inside works just fine. I've searched around and determined its likely the cable between the outer and inner handle, but can't find a post for how to change it. Is this a big job? Anybody have a good description. Thanks!

Dankemp

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 110Tdi
Ha. Here I come to make a suggestion to be added to the how-to and you've already done it. This makes separation much easier than bashing on the side of the cv joint.

theres a way of doing it without the need of anything but the bolt you took out .

remove the bolt slide the driveshaft to the side of the hub , straighten it , wind the bolt all the way back in , tighten the bolt the cv will pop straight off into your hand,

RC1966

TDI
2005 tdi passat 2.0
2005 tdi Passat 2.0

Hi guys, i need your expertise on this, had to change tc on my passat had error code stating tc was bad, swapped it out a d new filter and oil and new output shaft seal
This is my 3rd time putting tranny in! Small leak between motor and tranny
Pease help me with any possible remedies
Thanks

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold

LOL, don't say "never" Of course it all had to do with me, dumb ass, handing axles to a buddy and having him mark them and putting the mixing them up side to side when re-installing after re-building a trans in an 05. It makes for a scare when you just get done putting together a trans and when you first put in gear and hear a loud grind and the car won't move. Luckily I was able to figure it out quickly and all it cost me was a few clamps and a tube of grease to put back together the inner CV joint.

Vdubnuts

TDI
2002 vw jetta tdi
2004 Passat tdi

I am installing a balance shaft delete kit on this car. We have it all apart and we have the kit and I was wondering how to get the gear off of the crankshaft. Is there a website that I can look at?

buckinjacket

TDI
2006 jetta tdi dsg
Hello Folks, I recently replaced the engine in my 04 B5 with another from a salvage yard. When the motor was installed but before assembling the rest of the car I purged the air from the fuel system through the glow plugs according to a post I read only got fuel from #4, installed the glow plugs and the motor started with a stumble then cleared up and ran fine, starting without issue multible times. Now after completing the assembly it will not start cranks, over fine I have removed the glow plugs to see if maybe the fuel system leaked down and there is nothing coming out during crank. Car has new fuel filter replaced tandem pump with one from previous motor Vagcom ran lift pump several times good flow of clean fuel, bypassed tee at filter still nothing. Sorry for long post but wanted show what was done with hopes of someone having an idea of something else to try as I'm at my wits end. Thanks

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
looking to do a Passat TDI auto transmission fluid exchange

I have a 04 Passat TDI sedan ~160k miles on the clock that I want to do a trans fluid exchange, still shifting good so I want to keep it that way....

I have done flushes on other makes of automatics, any special things to look out for while doing a flush on this car?

are there any good write-ups on how to do this on this car?

how much is a good quantity for the flush (9 Litres/9.5 qts capacity is what I have found is that correct?) double that, is that good for a flush of the transmission & torqe converter on this car?

On replacement fluid, what type of fluid to use?, brand?

what is a good price to pay for the needed quantity of this stuff to do a good flush?

where is the best place to hook up to fill for the flush & which hose where is best place to connect to for the drain the old out while filling?

In N or Park during the flush while the engine is running?

How to do the quantity check before & afterwords to make sure I have filled to capacity?