www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 21st, 2019, 12:23   #1
mikko.rantalainen

Question Oil leak between oil filter housing and oil cooler

I have a leak in B5 Passat 2000 with AJM TDI 1.9L engine. The oil seems to be leaking between the oil filter housing and the oil cooler (water cooled). I have marked the leak position in the image below (not from my car but similar enough looking part that I believe this is the same part): https://imgur.com/oQAErLx

The amount of oil leaking is not a problem for the engine itself so I have some time to figure out how to best proceed with the fix. However, I cannot just ignore the problem due the mess the oil makes.

Can you provide any pointers?

Is it possible to somehow tighten the seam (connection between the filter housing and the cooler)? Assuming, of course, that the seal just leaks and is not totally broken.

Do I need to remove all oil and water before doing any maintenance for this part?

Is this a common leak problem? Are there any preventive measures to avoid leaking from the same source again?

Does anybody have an exploded view of the construction of filter housing + cooler combination?

(Some additional text description to help finding this post in the future when you don't know the name of the things above: there seems to be leaking oil above the cube attached under the oil filter. The cube has two water connections.)
mikko.rantalainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 17:21   #2
vwztips
Veteran Member

This large diameter o-ring can/will harden over time and leak. Best to just replace it.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 17:53   #3
jayb79
Veteran Member

Common problem on aging oil cooler o-rings. Easy enough job to replace it but it is very messy. The large flange at the bottom of the cooler simply unscrews and the cooler seals are easily accessed.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 18:22   #4
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

27mm socket needed to unscrew the center cooler nut, if memory serves. Same as the old IDI glowplugs.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 07:25   #5
mikko.rantalainen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb79 View Post
Common problem on aging oil cooler o-rings. Easy enough job to replace it but it is very messy. The large flange at the bottom of the cooler simply unscrews and the cooler seals are easily accessed.
Thanks for info. Do you know if I can do this without removing all coolant and/or oil from the engine?
mikko.rantalainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 15:42   #6
jayb79
Veteran Member

I did mine without removing the coolant hoses, oil will be lost but only what is left in the cooler and the bottom of the filter (less than a quart). Run the motor and let is get the oil warm, then shut it down and open the filter housing so the oil can drain down while the motor cools.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 18:51   #7
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

I just did this last week on mine. I needed a 32mm wrench. I had to cut it in half (around 8" long) and used the box end. There is 1 o-ring at the top and 1 square edge o-ring at the bottom. I bought the seals at the dealer for about $18.00. I didn't drain the coolant or the oil. I lost around 1/2 a liter of oil but caught it all with a standard oil drain catch pan.

gaskets
https://www.idparts.com/oil-cooler-g...vi-p-6504.html

exploded view
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single...rt_id/0/lang/e

Part 14 on mine had a shaft (like a hollow bolt) running up that held everything together.
burn_your_money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2019, 11:58   #8
Gothmolly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

This thread is amazing - exactly what I needed. Thank you guys.
!Vent, !DRL, 5 brake light mod, 11mm pump, RC3, Bosio Sprint 520s, VR6/G60 clutch, dead AC, leaking oil cooler, missing belly pan, leaky CCV, leaky valve cover, leaking door seals, broken glovebox, broken horn, rusted fender, dead rear windowwasher, frozen axle bushings
Dead radio? Pull fuse 42, wait 60 seconds.
Gothmolly is offline   Reply With Quote