www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 23rd, 2019, 05:48   #16
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I'd say the appeal has a 50/50 chance of success. VW isn't being complete d-bags around settlement claims from what I've seen. Good luck!

I'm gonna say 10% chance of success or less.

I'm thinking VW's approch will be that if you were actually "harmed" by the emissions cheating was personally affected by it, you wouldn't be gaming the system to milk it for every red cent you could. I know life is busy and things get in the way.

But, like i said at least when the people get the fix, they will be gaming the warranty and that extra 5K miles they milked out of it.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 07:27   #17
JohnBlutarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
I'm gonna say 10% chance of success or less.

I'm thinking VW's approch will be that if you were actually "harmed" by the emissions cheating was personally affected by it, you wouldn't be gaming the system to milk it for every red cent you could. I know life is busy and things get in the way.

But, like i said at least when the people get the fix, they will be gaming the warranty and that extra 5K miles they milked out of it.
I wasn't milking anything! I would've happily done it early if I had known about the deadline. As I said in my previous post, the only direct communication I got from VW didn't mention the deadline.

And VW doesn't independently decide on the outcome of the appeal. There is a member from VW, a member representing the consumers, and a neutral member to break ties. Since none of us are privy to the inner workings of this elite secret committee , I don't think there's any way to know how they will decide. I'm not losing any sleep over it either way, but having a chance for an extra two grand would be nice.
JohnBlutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 11:21   #18
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlutarsky View Post
I wonder if those reminders only went out to people who hadn't done Phase One yet. I did it pretty early, so maybe that took me off their reminder list.
That seems likely. If someone has already gone in and done the first part, it seems fair of them to assume you were going to do the second part in time. Good luck with your appeal.

Edit: it says the deadline in more places, so you are working uphill here. On the website it said so: https://web.archive.org/web/20181202...lement.com/en/

"IMPORTANT: You must complete your Buyback/AEM/Early Lease Termination or restitution-only claim and remedy by December 30, 2018 to receive benefits."

Edit2: it's also in the long form notice. Can't link from mobile but the deadline is right under the section about filing a claim.

Last edited by flargabarg; January 23rd, 2019 at 11:52.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 12:19   #19
JohnBlutarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flargabarg View Post
That seems likely. If someone has already gone in and done the first part, it seems fair of them to assume you were going to do the second part in time. Good luck with your appeal.

Edit: it says the deadline in more places, so you are working uphill here. On the website it said so: https://web.archive.org/web/20181202...lement.com/en/

"IMPORTANT: You must complete your Buyback/AEM/Early Lease Termination or restitution-only claim and remedy by December 30, 2018 to receive benefits."

Edit2: it's also in the long form notice. Can't link from mobile but the deadline is right under the section about filing a claim.
Yeah, after I did Phase One I figured I was locked in to getting Phase Two with the restitution payment, so I never went back to check my status. At this point I'm pretty much expecting to NOT win the appeal, but who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!
Old January 23rd, 2019, 14:20   #20
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Better find a Holiday Inn and keep your fingers crossed! Your odds aren't good as the word has been spread far and wide (legally speaking). I just shredded a debit card that I didn't recognize and thought was an unsolicited one. Turned out it was a rebate card I had been waiting for, for 8 weeks now and is unable to be replaced. I am out the money with no appeals..
Old January 28th, 2019, 01:02   #21
Margarita

TDI(s): 2014 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Not sure but so far looks good

I just bought a 2014 jetta diesel from carvana completely unaware of the recall and buyback until after the purchase...is there a way i can get compensated?
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 06:12   #22
740GLE
Veteran Member

If you bought it via carvana, there's no more money left on the table. Enjoy your new jetta and motor on!
Old January 28th, 2019, 10:14   #23
roadlust
Veteran Member

Curious as to why you say "bought via varvana" as though if he bought it elsewhere he could apply for compensation. I thought after 12/31/18 the 2 liter settlement was done, too late, no money.
Old January 28th, 2019, 11:16   #24
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita View Post
I just bought a 2014 jetta diesel from carvana completely unaware of the recall and buyback until after the purchase...is there a way i can get compensated?
All of the relevant deadlines have LONG since passed.

If the car has had the "fix" applied - there should be stickers under the hood indicating thus - then you have an extended warranty on the emission control system including the fuel injection pump (expensive, and a problem area).

If it has not had the "fix" applied, you can pay a visit to your local VW dealer and have it done. You will not get any $ out of the deal, but you will get the above-mentioned warranty extension.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 11:19   #25
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yup, the gravy train has left the station. Highly unlikely the fix hasn't already been done to the car, but worth a look.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 05:57   #26
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadlust View Post
Curious as to why you say "bought via varvana" as though if he bought it elsewhere he could apply for compensation. I thought after 12/31/18 the 2 liter settlement was done, too late, no money.

Agreed the VW has closed it'd wallet. It was just a way to determine the fix has been applied, as the chances carvana bought it at auction with the fix applied from VW is near 100%.
Old January 29th, 2019, 12:26   #27
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You have multiple posts on this. You aren't due any money but do have an extended emissions warranty that covers quite a bit of stuff for quite some time. Read the paperwork on it. Posted here a vast number of times.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 08:57   #28
JohnBlutarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlutarsky View Post
Yeah, after I did Phase One I figured I was locked in to getting Phase Two with the restitution payment, so I never went back to check my status. At this point I'm pretty much expecting to NOT win the appeal, but who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!
Appeal denied!

Oh well .....
Old February 3rd, 2019, 13:58   #29
DIVISIONINCISION

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
No excuse... just stupidity. I know I can still get stage 2 done on my 2015. Has anyone had any luck getting their remaining 1/3 settlement if they missed the deadline?
Didn't forget, but waited until the last minute only to find the website was down on Sep. 1st. Had to fax it in, go through the appeals process with the CRC and now finally after all that getting an offer now and waiting to schedule the appointment.

Long road, but it's still paying off!

DIVISIONINCISION is offline   Reply With Quote