www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old January 21st, 2019, 11:38   #1
jrv8984

TDI(s): Touareg
Default Greasecar kit or vegi blends

I am buying 02 TDI golf. I came across a grease car kit on Craigslist, but I'm not sure if it's gonna be worth it for my wife (frequent stops with the car sitting for between 15 minutes to 3 hours, and a few monthly trips in the 45-60 minutes range.
Or mix the filtered wvo with a percentage kero / diesel, and dump it in the tank.
Is there an electric tank heater to help the wvo heat up faster?
I've done a lot of reading, but am not coming up with a good answer for blending wvo for vw tdi's.
OH, not new to diesels, have an f350, and a grand Cherokee crd.
Thanks
jrv8984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 12:59   #2
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Short answer is that the greasecar kit will be a PITA and you are unlikely to get your investment back. These cars run great on diesel. Why mess with it, especially at current fuel prices?
Old January 21st, 2019, 13:34   #3
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

For the normal average person, put all thought of using vegetable oil as fuel out of your mind completely, and just fill the car up with normal pump diesel fuel as it was originally designed for. No blending, no mixing, no nothing. Doing anything else won't be worth the aggravation in the long term.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 14:43   #4
atc98002
Veteran Member

Your mention of "frequent stops" is enough to say no. With grease kits, you have to wait for the oil (and the engine) to warm before switching, and have to purge before you turn it off and let it set. For the complexity involved, it's not worth it, as you would spend very little time actually running on WVO. The longer trips might make it worthwhile, but again it's a lot of work (collecting, storing, filtering, etc.) for very little gain.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 20:07   #5
jrv8984

TDI(s): Touareg

Thanks for the feedback. That's the way I was leaning, if I still had an hour commute, I'd be diving in head first. Here in PA we were getting close to $4 a gallon over the summer. Current fuel prices suck with the $1.00 per gallon tax we pay.
jrv8984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 20:43   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrv8984 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. That's the way I was leaning, if I still had an hour commute, I'd be diving in head first. Here in PA we were getting close to $4 a gallon over the summer. Current fuel prices suck with the $1.00 per gallon tax we pay.
Move to south Texas. You won't see "winter" and diesel prices are $2.50 per gallon. Cars don't rust, no hills to worry about and plenty of outdoor activities year round.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 19:13   #7
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Rather than doing a Greasecar, if you're really interested - look into to making Bio diesel with the vegi oil. It has it's own issues, but at least you could just put it in the tank (judicious mixing with tank and antigel additives for winter use). The quality of your fuel will depend on the amount of work you're willing to put into it.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 05:22   #8
philngrayce
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/43/49 ('02 Jetta 5 sp)

Despite being the resident WVO advocate here, I have to concur with the others; yours is not a good candidate for the two tank kit. The short trips won’t let you run on greae very often. You also have to be concerned about another operator, in this case your wife. Will she run the system correctly, including switching only after the car is fully warmed up and, especially, purging before any extended shutdown?

If you are comfortable with proccessing it, the suggesstion for biodiesel makes a lot more sense. Or, if you have a good source of oil, perhaps you can find someone already making biodiesel willing to trade for your WVO. I think that is a much better solution than blending, though I have no experience with that.

One more thing: In the thread below this one, the OP is looking for a used kit but can’t find one. I think he’s in St. Louis and you’re in PA, but perhaps he can arrange shipping. If you’re not going to get it, why not share the Craigslist link and he can look into it.
philngrayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2019, 22:47   #9
WooK

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

I also have been running WVO and concur with Phil on this one. Short trips isnt worth it plus the greatest factor is your wife. she's the one driving the car not you.
WooK is offline   Reply With Quote