Transmission - Reverse only when warm

Mikemakeswine

TDI
2002 Golf, 2005 Passat
I just got a 05 with 170,000 miles. Transmission only goes into reverse when the car is warm. No fault codes. Any suggestions? I purchased new fluid and filter kit. It is going to need timing belt, which i have already purchased but haven't installed.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The reverse D drum is leaking, it is probably cracked and will soon break apart.

You have to tear the whole transmission down to fix it, so your best bet is to install a reman unit or a good used one, or convert it to a manual.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Presumably, you bought the '05 as a car that you had long term plans for. Hopefully you have a budget for some pretty expensive things that the car may require, including repair or replacement or conversion of the transmission to manual.

If I were in your situation, and was willing to put the needed $ into it, I would find a trusted mechanic very familiar with these cars and then have the mechanic do all of the following at the same time: 1) the timing belt, water pump and probably motor mounts, and while at it, see if the original balance shaft module is still there and if so delete it (no better time to do that, new oil pump etc etc), and 2) convert the transmission to manual.

At this point in time, there are probably very few '04-'05 Passats out there with less than 125-150,000 miles on them with a transmission you can just grab and unless a used transmission has been serviced properly over that period, replacing your transmission with a used donor transmission from a parts car or junkyard donor is probably living on borrowed time or too risky to even bother with. Price out the difference between a manual conversion and $ to purchase and install a remanufactured transmission before you make a decision to go with used or remanufactured one.

If you do all the above and car is in great condition otherwise you have great vehicle that may last a long time and be fun to drive, and fuel efficient. If spending $4-$6,000 to making this transition is too much for you, I would sell the car and find a better one.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Dear mike: stick to making wine, if your not mechanically inclined do as the person above suggests sell it and move on

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
My kid says TDI stands for total destruction inside. When it comes to balance shaft and the b5 slush box(when neglected) he's not wrong.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I buy non functional tdi passats but sadly im in SoCar not SoCal