Non heated to heated seat swap?

Autoguy

Veteran Member
Does anyone know how involved it would be to swap out a pair of non heated seats to heated seats in a 2000 Jetta, and have them function. Are the cars prewired for the seats like the trunk CD players or would it require a differnt wiring harness? Any info would be appreciated.

valois

Banned
Tomo did it on his passat, I want some leather seats with heaters too!!! The heated seats are great.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I had my seats out when my car was new to scotch guard them - I did not notice any extra wiring under there.

BTW - when I disconnected the seats, it triggered the airbag fault lamp. I had to get the dealer to reset (I told them what I was going to do ahead of time and they were kind enough to do it free).

I further discovered that ione is supposed to take safety precautions when connecting and disconnecting the seat. The risk is triggering the airbag by ESD (static discharge). There is a VW bulletin somwhere about using a grounding tool. Your best bet may be to disconnect the battery if you try this, but I do not know if this will prevent the triggering the error code. And of course heed the warning: no occupants in the car when when reconnecting the battery.