Soooo I just got back from a back-roads trip.. and I popped something. ***?

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Ok so to make a long story short, there was me and 2 other guys in the car. I was giving the car a bit of throttle in a backroad, when I was shifting from second gear (4500rpms maybe?) and there was a REALLY funky noise that came from under the hood. My buddy thought I blew a tire, but I knew it was something a bit funkier. I was like "sh*t.." and just started idling down the road. The motor was idling fine and reving ok, but was OBVIOUSLY not making boost due to the boost gauge not reading and the turbo not whining. Plus there was almost no power (compared to when the car runs good).

I pull over, notice smoke under the hood. Kill the motor (which was still idling fine btw). There is oil in the back coming out from what appears to be the oil supply line or WG or something. The WG is covered in oil and it's leaking from somewhere around the turbo onto the exh mani an steering rack etc. It was dark so I couldn't get a good look around.
Ideas?

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
I checked the oil level right after this happened. It was still reading on the dipstick, but I dont plan on starting the car again till this is fixed. It's pouring pretty good back there and I can see dribbles all down the street to where I stopped.

I'm thinking I blew the turbo too; whats odd is it wasn't pouring white smoke like diesels normally do when their turbo has been torn up. It was only burning the oil that was dripping on the hot manifold.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Definitely DON'T start it. If it's the oil suplly line the engine could "bleedout" quickly. The other possibility is a runaway condition.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to go 17/22.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Ya thats what I was thinking; that oil supp line will feed off the oil fast. Whats peculiar though is, why isn't the car pouring white smoke from the lack of oxygen and abundance of fuel??

Are you guys pretty sure the turbo is caked? I'm gonna be super pissed. I'm about to pick up the c ar from the side of the road in a few and can get a better look in the light. But the turbo itself didn't seem to be leaking the oil?

At this point in time, I just want the cheapest turbo I can find. If I can get a 17/22 I'll be pumped. But I'm not looking to spend a fortune ya know?

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
Reach down and grab the TIP where it's clamped on the turbo... I bet your compressor side broke off just like mine, it'll be loose and flopping around.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
^And I'll bet your right ;)

I pop the hood, grap the TIP line, and sure as **** the turbo is sitting in 2. How the hell does this happen? I'm only running 20lbs-hold and 25spike :confused:

Is this repairable?

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Ya I guess I f'd up with that one. I thought the stock vnt15 could hold 25ish. GOOD THING i didn't up the boost to 25-30psi like I was planning on :eek:

How much would a vnt17 be? Will that bolt right in? Even with my front mount and all that? I need something cheap for now.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Alright guys got a question. Is there some way that my current turbo can be welded back together? Seems to be a pretty good fix?

I've got a buddy selling a vnt 17/22 hybrid too for $500. I'm thinking about it; but my wife will skin my balls if I tell her I fried another turbo (just sold my cummins that I fried 2 turbos on).

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Soo....don't tell your wife about the turbo. Tell her something else broke.

I don't think welding the turbo back together is a recommended repair method.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
It seems like a pretty solid fix to me? It's just the seems of the turbo that let go. I'd imagine a shop with a crafty welder wouldn't have issue putting the 2 halfs of my turbo back together. But either way she'll still skin me because of all the money I've sunk into the car to get it to where it is.

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
Go for the 17/22 and be done with it.:D It'll flow loads better, just remember to check it's max psi. I think it's 24-26psi. :cool:

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Oh shoot I dunno about the shaft? Thats a damn good question??

As far as the 17/22 I was thinking.. I'd need a retune and a few other things, and wouldn't be able to pump more than prolly 20psi anyways.

I just need to find a cheap vnt15 :(

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
You should just go look in the classifieds yourself. Hint hint.

Although, if you keep running 20 on a 15 you'll be putting anotherone on soon enough.

I'd like to see a picture of your broken turbo. Are you saying the cartridge came apart somehow?

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Why were some posts deleted?? I wrote a response earlier and there were way more posts, including my own???

EDIT: Oh and I've been running 20psi on my stock 177k mile vnt15 for quite some time now without issue

Last edited:

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Dammit PM's were messed up too. What was that guys name who was saying he had a vnt15 for sale? I PM'd him but apparently it didnt' go thru. I need to know if that Bob or whatever guy still has the turbo for sale.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Dammit PM's were messed up too. What was that guys name who was saying he had a vnt15 for sale? I PM'd him but apparently it didnt' go thru. I need to know if that Bob or whatever guy still has the turbo for sale.
I didn't follow this thread but maybe it's Bob Fout? :confused: