Will the Cops Do Anything When You Report Aggressive/Reckless Driving?

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Ben1000 said:
Hate to say it... but look around, right or wrong can you really blame them for this?
Yes I can. There is certainly plenty of stupidity around and I see what you are saying but there is no shortage of stupidity exhibited by cops. The problem I see is their contempt and arrogance. You are not in their "click" and are therefore an idiot. Once again my apologies to the many good guys and gals on the job.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
talltacoma said:
Nate,
Yes, citizen reports are taken seriously. Many impaired drivers have been reported by concerned motorists and taken off the road. Don't ever hesitate to report reckless driving. Things to keep in mind:

1. You are able to sign a traffic complaint/citation as an officer would. If the driver contests your complaint, you will have to testify in court.

2. If you are unwilling to sign the complaint/citation, the officer must develope his own reason to stop the vehicle.

3. In the event you report a reckless/careless driver, be able to provide the license plate, vehicle make/model/color and attempt to identify the driver, i.e. a white male with brown hair and wearing a blue baseball cap. It's ok if you can't ID the driver.

4. Finally, an officer may not be in proximity and unable to assist. However, officers can't help if they dont know. Again, never hesitate to report reckless driving.
Nonsense, they do not care. I have had this from experience with tractor trailers twice with plate numbers and full descriptions. If they do not see it it is my word against theirs. Now if you say they looked drunk or you saw them drinking in the car that may be another story.
I could have also said they were riding a dirt bike or ATV too. That would have brought at least 500 cops to the scene.

Last edited:

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Funguy said:
Yes I can. There is certainly plenty of stupidity around and I see what you are saying but there is no shortage of stupidity exhibited by cops. The problem I see is their contempt and arrogance. You are not in their "click" and are therefore an idiot. Once again my apologies to the many good guys and gals on the job.
I agree with few exceptions. It also seems to be that whatever is in vogue like speeding is pursued relentlessly and things like dangerous driving are not.

Last edited:

orion2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf tdi
honestly, there are so many D-bags on the road that we would need 500% more cops and taxes to pay them to follow up on all the calls.

Just follow your heart and beat them up yourself as you had originally felt compelled to do. It's your civic duty.

orion2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf tdi
reading this just reminded me...there was a guy from Texas in the "bodywork" section of VWvortex. He was asking about how to fix a BULLET HOLE! Apparently, he spanked a mustang with his modded 1.8t... when the mustang got next to him at the next stop light he shot at our fellow V-dubber. He's obviously imbred...he bought a ford.

strictlysmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
golf IV
after reading alot of the posts and hearing alot of differnent peoples stories, now i know how stereo types get started. i too have a problem when im driving on the road and see someone who is breaking the law and you never happen to see a police officer around to stop them. i work for baltimore county and everyone has to remember that there are other calls that we are all on that are more important the traffic complainants some times (not saying what was done was right)

one of the reasons why alot of officers dont like pulling cars over when people call it in is because most of the time the complainants do not want to be called into court, which means the driver is released because we as officers have no proof. and 2ndly when someone calls 911 (not saying you guys dont do this) they just give a description out of the vehicle or person that has done something and the complainants will leave the area. you have to remember that the vehicle can turn down a side street or the person could go into a house and 1 or 2 police officers will hardly ever find them. fyi: if you call it in keep an eye on the vehicle or subject and let the police dispatcher know everywhere they are going and what they are doing.

and about the aggressive driving here in md you need 3 out of the 6 factors for someithing to be considered aggressive driving, but on the other hand they can be given reckless or even negligent. both fines are above $270 and 6 points and love to give them out. to solve everyones problems i think that the police departments should give us take home cars so that when we are out driving and see something we can pull them over and take care of it and make the roads much safer.

and just to clear things up you guys are right on somethings and yes there are worthless cops out here and i work with some of them. just look at it from my point of view, you cant get police officers to take care of a traffic problem, but i cant count on the same officers to back me up on traffic stops or even more serious calls because they are studying the back of their eyelids.