how much for an engine overhaul

spacemandan

TDI
2002 5spd jetta tdi
I started pulling pieces apart under my hood, and came to the realization that I would much rather have a shop take everything apart. I ran the engine empty of oil, I pulled the pan and valve cover, no scoring or damage to the cam or crank that I have been able to see, possibly thanks to using the Lucas Oil Additive I had been running with it. I don't have the time and patience to pull everything apart and do an overhaul myself, I would like to know how much time/money it would take to pull the engine, strip it down, rebuild, and swap in a new turbo.

Specifically I'm looking for how many hours it would take so I can compare with shops. It's a 2002 Jetta TDI, I'm in the Vancouver BC area, if anyone knows any good shops in the area as well.

Thanks.

2002-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 tdi jetta
spacemandan said:
I started pulling pieces apart under my hood, and came to the realization that I would much rather have a shop take everything apart. I ran the engine empty of oil, I pulled the pan and valve cover, no scoring or damage to the cam or crank that I have been able to see, possibly thanks to using the Lucas Oil Additive I had been running with it. I don't have the time and patience to pull everything apart and do an overhaul myself, I would like to know how much time/money it would take to pull the engine, strip it down, rebuild, and swap in a new turbo.

Specifically I'm looking for how many hours it would take so I can compare with shops. It's a 2002 Jetta TDI, I'm in the Vancouver BC area, if anyone knows any good shops in the area as well.

Thanks.
what happened when you put oil back in and tried to start it up ?

Last edited:

spacemandan

TDI
2002 5spd jetta tdi
I'm assuming that all the parts are useable, besides new rings, bearings and oil pump. I didn't get inside the engine, just observed the bearing journals with a few caps off.

It smoked when I had it running, and oil light. The smoking I'm sure is from the turbo. There was quite a bit of metal shavings from the bearings, but I don't believe anything else was damaged.