Should I sell or should I keep? 2003 Jetta Sportwagen GL TDI

tditylan

TDI
2003 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have a silver 2003 Sportwagen GL TDI, 196,800 miles, 5-speed manual, and I'm trying to decide whether to sell it or keep it.
It's a GREAT car, but it's just about to hit the 200k mark. Does anyone know what typically happens repair-wise after 200k? Should I quit while I'm ahead?
Within the past 6 months/5k miles it has gotten a NEW water pump, timing belt, clutch, starter, thermostat, serpentine belt, and battery. Everything works except the CD player, looks great except for a couple little broken plastic things typical of older VW's.
Here's the craigslist ad for pics:
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-volkswagen-jetta-wagon/6661526924.html
Any tips appreciated - I priced it a bit high on the ad because I'm so hesitant to sell! What would you do? Is this the moment?
Thanks!

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Sounds like its good do go. If the suspension bushings haven't been replaced yet, that will become necessary at some point but that's not a lot of money. I would keep it.

BTW, your CL post is deleted, perhaps that was intentional?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Most here would tell you to keep it... We are mostly cheap running 15+ year old cars after all. Repairs typically end up being less than a new car payment year over year, would need a drastic issue for it not to be.

But if you're uncertain and not overly attached, leave it at a high price on Craigslist and if you get it.. sell and buy something newer, if not just keep driving it

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Its just a Jetta wagon, the "sportwagen" moniker was not introduced till 4 or 5 years later. And for what its worth, the 03 Jetta wagons are far superior to any and all sportwagens.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Laughing at the concern over hitting 200k.... that's just a baby. Seriously, that car will outlast (even with a 200k mile deficit) any newer Volkswagen you could buy. May not be as nice, or fast, or "clean", or have a bunch of fancy stuff, but it'll get you where you need to go for a minimal outlay of resources so long as you take proper care of it.

tditylan

TDI
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice! The CL ad is back up, btw.

My gut has been to keep it but I couldn't tell if I was just attached. I know the engine is still in its youth but my concern is that I'll have to replace the transmission or some other looming expensive thing and that I should just get whatever money I can get out of it while it's still in good shape.

But I also don't really want to pay $300 a month plus a big down payment to drive a newer car if this thing is still in its prime.

So that's what I'm trying to gauge.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
It's a 5 spd so you might have to replace the clutch but that's not too bad.

To give you some kind of idea about what you might get: I only Paid $3500 for my 2003 wagon with 147K miles, in May. I'll agree, I got a deal, but you will likely not get much more than that. It seems like the market is turning south on these as people sell to upgrade to newer TDI's (the last of the VW diesels) or to other models.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Nothing major beyond 200k. Maybe due for a timing belt. Depending on what has been done you may have things like suspension components, bushings, brakes, wheel bearings. Though I replaced all those things between 100k and 200k. The car looks clean and rust free in the pictures. If you like it, keep it.

If you want to move on and are patient I think you'll probably get your asking price. Many of these cars in the NE are getting pretty rusty. Assuming its clean underneath, that will help you get good money for it.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Most of the things you mention that you've had to do to it are maintenance/wear items. The clutch should go another 100k unless you're an abusive driver. Water pumps are supposed to be replaced every other TB.

Keep it. Lower insurance, no payment, killer mpg's. What's not to love?

tditylan

TDI
No, I haven't decided to sell. That's why I posted this question. The ad is up but only so those looking at this thread can see it.

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
Even if you had to do some repairs, keeping it is still cheaper than buying a new car

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
It would seem the thread would be more appropriate if the car was approaching 400,000 miles. There's a lot of risk in buying a used car from an unknown 3rd party with no warranty. If it's your car, you know how much risk is in the car. If it has been well cared for and doesn't have any major problems, why get rid of it? The major drivetrain components have plenty of life left.

h.ubk

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
Oh Yeah, got the same car... You want to shoot for the 500,000 club... you just maintained it as you should... I find its the little crap that can get under your skin, like the antenna mount, or the brake booster or the vacuum pump, fuel sending unit, O-ring leak in the injector pump, serp tensioner, alternator pulley, brake cables, etc... But I'm describing my Mexican made sedan... My german made wagon is the rock...none of the above minor but annoying issues.

Keep it.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I find its the little crap that can get under your skin, like the antenna mount, or the brake booster or the vacuum pump, fuel sending unit, O-ring leak in the injector pump, serp tensioner, alternator pulley, brake cables, etc... But I'm describing my Mexican made sedan... My german made wagon is the rock...none of the above minor but annoying issues.
My ('03 TDI owned-from-new) German-built Wagon has had the antenna mount, alt pulley, and brake cable issues. Where a car is built is no indication of its quality.

That said, I agree that if the OP still likes the car, there's very little downside to keeping it.

borntofli

TDI
1998 jetta tdi
You are in a dream scenario w/ that car... It will easily go another 200k cheaper than any other car option... You have no depreciation, insurance is cheap.... New cars lose 20% of their value each year...

Add that to car payment, and its a no brainer to keep car.... Drive it with pride and go for 500 k........

Buying a new car is worst financial decision one can make.....

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Unless you buy a 2003 TDI in 2003.

I bought one new in 2003, and it has just about paid for itself in money saved on fuel, I do keep a fuel log and have logged every tank along with the price of gasoline when I fill up so I know how much I have saved...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are many worse decisions. Boat, timeshare, RV...the list goes on.

I'm a fan of buying new and keeping cars a long time. That way I know they're well cared for and driven properly. As long as you accept that any car (almost) is an expense, it's not a bad way to go.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Unless you buy a 2003 TDI in 2003.
I bought one new in 2003, and it has just about paid for itself in money saved on fuel, I do keep a fuel log and have logged every tank along with the price of gasoline when I fill up so I know how much I have saved...
Saved vs what? Without something to compare it to your statement has no meaning.

Top 10 Most Fuel-Efficient Cars for 2003
Honda Insight — 61/68.
Toyota Prius* — 52/48. Honda Civic Hybrid* — 48/47. Honda Civic Hybrid — 46/51.
Volkswagen New Beetle TDI — 42/49. Volkswagen Golf TDI — 42/49. Volkswagen Jetta TDI — 42/49.
Honda Civic HX — 36/44.
Toyota Echo — 35/43.
Toyota Corolla — 32/40.
Dodge Neon — 29/36. Toyota Matrix — 29/36. ...
Hyundai Accent — 29/33.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Saved vs what? Without something to compare it to your statement has no meaning.
Saved vs a mythological car that gets 25 MPG under all driving conditions on RUG, I say "mythological" because the MPG of all cars varies but I didn't want to deal with that for my fuel saving/mileage calcs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Saved vs a mythological car that gets 25 MPG under all driving conditions on RUG, I say "mythological" because the MPG of all cars varies but I didn't want to deal with that for my fuel saving/mileage calcs.
So mythological savings then, when compared to the mythological car you might have bought instead.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
This question comes up frequently and usually I sense that the poster is looking for some collateral rationalization in their urge to get something new. However, there's just no way a new vehicle is going to pencil out against a well maintained and cared-for older TDI.

I keep mine garaged, cleaned, waxed, well maintained, and otherwise loved. It's 14 years old and has under 200K. I hope to be driving it in 2012.

BTW, my "other car" is a 1991 Isuzu Trooper that is in similar shape and has been garaged its whole life. I like to sometimes calculate the cost savings keeping these vehicles have provided over the years....

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
No, I haven't decided to sell. That's why I posted this question. The ad is up but only so those looking at this thread can see it.
Cool, so keep it, it's just broke in. No ticking time bombs at 200k. 300k we start to think about a few items, 400-500k might consider engine refresh.