What did you do to your MKIV today?

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
Fixed the "No remote trunk open", issue with a salvage yard wiring harness.

Replaced windshield washer fluid pump with one from the same salvage vehicle. Replaced the fuse panel on top of the battery with one from eBay I bought 2-3 years ago.

A/C works reliably again!

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Got a replacement battery (under warranty) and started it for the first time in over a year. (Been driving my 06 TDI Jetta) took it for a short drive to the store and after sitting for a little while noticed a coolant leak (radiator finally gave up the ghost) so now in he process of pulling the radiator out.

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
Replaced both rusted out fenders & trunk lid.

Before:

After:

Paint match isn’t perfect, rest of the car can really use a good polish.

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Replaced both rusted out fenders & trunk lid.

Before:

After:

Paint match isn’t perfect, rest of the car can really use a good polish.
What year or model is that trunk lid? I've been looking for one and haven't came across one yet in the salvage yard

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
MKIV cars had three possibilities for silver paint: Satin Silver, Silver Arrow, and Reflex Silver. I think for '02 and after all cars were Reflex Silver.

I just picked up fenders for my son's '02 Golf yesterday. Reflex silver. Donor car was an '03, so they're a match. I got lucky. Finding them without rust was the first priority.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I got lucky as my 01 doesn't have any seen rust but my 00 needs a left fender so far I don't expect to find a paint match. I really want to find a clean straight white Jetta TDI but I've only seen them in the salvage yards :(

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
I think I got lucky as my 01 doesn't have any seen rust but my 00 needs a left fender so far I don't expect to find a paint match. I really want to find a clean straight white Jetta TDI but I've only seen them in the salvage yards :(

The foam attached to the fenders caused all of the rust I had. Both wheel arch & rocker.

I had been looking for 2 years for good reflex silver fenders but wasn’t able to, most of them being parted out have some rot. I ended up getting these fenders off Amazon & painted them myself. Needed some tweaking to get a good fitment but worked out really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I hadn't looked too closely but I thought I saw foam...should it be removed to prevent rust...does it really absorb that much sound? The fender liner keeps the rocks off the fender right

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Posted this in the MKVII forum by mistake. :eek:

Broke an axle in IBW last night accelerating away from a light. Fortunately it was right near IDParts, not in NYC (Tuesday); NH (yesterday); or NC (late July): or Syracuse (early August). This car looks out for me.

I think 371K miles with mods (twice stock power for at least 120K) is about as much as I can expect from the original axles. Or transmission, which has started to make a little noise when it's hot. So IBW is getting new axles on both sides, a 95K mile transmission I've had sitting in my garage for a while, and, possibly, a new starter, as that is also original.

As my co-workers happily point out, I'm not exactly lacking for a backup car, but I miss IBW whenever it's not around. I hope to have it back soon, although mr chill has to finish my son's car first. Here's a photo without the fenders I drove to NH to pick up yesterday.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
So IBW is getting new axles on both sides, a 95K mile transmission I've had sitting in my garage for a while, and, possibly, a new starter, as that is also original.
What axles are you going with?

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Changed out the hose clamp on turbo outlet, as this is the second time in a week it blew off. I’m running a hose in a hose, so that I’m sure is my weak point under boost.
I tried finding the correct custom size, but leg length is impossible to source. If anyone have any suggestions lmk. Stock vnt15 outlet 1.5”to 1.75” intercooler pipe .

Bajan

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's what chill said. CV joints actually weren't bad. He's already got the car finished. Replaced both axles, transmission (wanted to do that for a while), and strut mounts as long as it was getting an alignment.

I was at Kraftwerke to pick up my son's '02 Golf, dropped off the '99.5 Golf for a couple things, and will have to get a ride up there to pick up IBW tomorrow. So many MKIVs...

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I've actually seen a similar break on a 3/4-ton pickup axle, but it was induced by the operator letting it spin and then catching traction, instead of trying to figure out why he didn't have traction.

My dad is a mechanic for a large fleet, and had that axle leaned up against the wall near the door for a good while, as a graphic example of why to take it a little cautiously with the fleet trucks.

The only saving grace was that the trucks all had radios tied into a repeater network, since the truck was well outside of cellular coverage, back in the hills. If it hadn't been, the driver would have had a looong hike ahead of him!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I guess I should take comfort in this being an unusual failure. I've had others: I broke a wheel hub at a track day a few years ago. That's when I decided the car was too old for track days if I also used it to get to the track and back. Although it did get me home that time.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
That's one of my favorite mods, fill it to the threads and set out on a road trip, then wait till somewhere around 200 miles before the gauge moves...

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
That's it...lol. J/K you've been busy but sometimes that's what it takes to keep them going and going well.

Yup, the car is in good enough shape and deserved the attention.
boertje, Polk audio speakers are historically power hungry, do you have increased amplifier power? I have a upgraded DSP head unit with time delay and parametric EQ, factory speakers and it sounds way better than stock ever could.
No, just stock radio and it works just fine. I used the Polk audio db652 which have a 92db sensitivity. I have used this speaker in 4 other bugs.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
How are you modifying your tune? What can I do to minimize that
It wasn't today, but it was recently. I once again modified my tune to get rid of the "bog" on takeoff with the A/C running.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got off idle bog...but it may be a vacuum issue too. I found a good price on a new vacuum booster hose and check valve and it'll be here in a few days...

I'm tuned for a 10mm pump and running an 11mm pump in soft coding 1 to try to calm it down...mostly fuel economy reasons

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Diagnosed a bad ASV. Started making a whining noise yesterday and further inspection today reveals that it appears the gear is stripped out and not shutting the flap. Already have a "new" one on the way from a part out on the forum.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Three basic things (generally) can cause off idle bog, timing or lack of it, too little fuel or too much fuel on tip in. Somehow my timing at idle was a bit retarded, it was just brought up to "zero."