oil cap: vented or not?

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
Hi All,
I have a slow leak coming from my oil cap. Therefore, I will be replacing the oil cap. There are vented oil caps as well as non vented. Which one do I want? What is the advantage/disadvantage of each?

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I have had 4 tdi’s and all of them have done that. Once I vented the crank case pressure hose to atmosphere “ccv mod” the oil leak at the caps stopped. Second side effect of venting ccv to atmosphere is no more oil in intake, intercooler or charge pipes.

Turbo cars have higher crank case pressure which is why these cars do that.

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
There is an oil cap seal that can wear out and cause this as well. Some people have double stacked seals, some have been fine just replacing the seal with a new one. I would try that first

When I did my last TB change, since my OEM valve cover was leaking and I didn't want to bother removing the gasket that welds itself in place, I just opted for this option from ECS tuning:

It comes with all the seals and as a bonus the actual valve cover seal can be replaced with ease so you don't need to source an entire cover again. The top is now leak free for me, which is nice. It's an option for you.