Exhaust Leak?

homeworld8118

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon TDI
So I am new to the TDI world, had this car about a month now and have driven less than 2k. Has 175k on motor and well maintained. Went to leave work this morning and heard a ticking that on a gasser sounds like an exhaust leak. Got it home and up on ramps but can’t pinpoint location or if it is certainly a exhaust leak.
While listening to the noise from under and in engine bay it changed pitch. Went from the normal exhaust leak tick to a more “open sounding” kinda tick, like larger volume of air. Car still drives and pulled fine.
While coasting down hill in gear and let the injectors cut out it is still audiable. It also changes with rpm on and off fuel. So I feel like it’s exhaust by all symptoms,but this is my first TDI. And I assume if it is exhaust and it ticks that it would be pre-turbo?
https://youtu.be/Q7sdnR9GfBY

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
It could be an exhaust leak. The flex exhaust pipe likes to have leaks, so check that. Check all joints on the exhaust system and check the exhaust pipes for pinhole leaks.

Also, I had a similar sound on my TDI and it ended up being a leaky injector. You can test for that by spraying soapy water around each injector and see if you get bubbles. I thought it was an exhaust leak for sure (sounded like an old air-cooled bug), but it was one of the injectors.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Check your egr exhaust gaskets too

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

homeworld8118

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon TDI
It could be an exhaust leak. The flex exhaust pipe likes to have leaks, so check that. Check all joints on the exhaust system and check the exhaust pipes for pinhole leaks.

Also, I had a similar sound on my TDI and it ended up being a leaky injector. You can test for that by spraying soapy water around each injector and see if you get bubbles. I thought it was an exhaust leak for sure (sounded like an old air-cooled bug), but it was one of the injectors.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll check it over when it cools. You didn’t have a fuel leak with the injector issue?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
You've got a BEW... slightly different from an ALH with regards to an injector leak?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Pop the valve cover off and take a peek inside...look for symmetry on the cam lobes

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
These cars are really picky on the oil used...if it wasn't an oil on par or better than a 505.01 oil you may have a cam or injector lobe that is not getting it done

homeworld8118

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon TDI
Yea, I have looked into that extensively. The guy I got it from said he took it to a TDI mech that used the right oil for a BEW. But that’s only his word so I can’t be certain.

homeworld8118

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon TDI
Ha, so to add to the issue today. Started up this morning with same exhaust leak sound. Got to work and it was gone. I know that is normal of an exhaust leak with expansion of metal, but yesterday I was there even at opp temp.

Still does and always has made that noise at shut down. 1-2 seconds after shut down a knock sound and the unit on the intake buzzes. So is that normal?