Core support

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
Hit a deer in my mk5 Jetta and having problems with getting core support lined up. I went to the junkyard and they got me a new core support. Well put it in and now the hood isn’t shutting. It looks like it needs slid to the drivers side. Anyone else have problems with this? Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They call it a lock carrier, and it has some minor adjustment side to side as well as up and down. Are you sure there is not any other damage? Because the lock carrier attaches directly to the unibody rails under the bumper supports, so if that is not straight then you will have issues.

There is also an adjustment for the hood latch, again side to side as well as up and down.

If the hood closes squarely without the latch in place, and the fenders line up, then you may have to adjust something.

How hard was it hit, and what all was damaged?

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
45mph and hit a deer. You think it could’ve bent the unibody rails?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is possible, but without seeing it, tough to say. I'd think the new lock carrier would not want to bolt up without a fight if something were bent though. The problem may be with the hood mounting itself, the hinges.

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
Okay so I got new carrier in and I go to put head lights in. And I can get the lower screws in but upper has a gap about a half inch on each side. No clue why I’ll get pictures tomorrow. I think it’s this aftermarket core support.