no horn..no clicks..changed actual horn? 2006 brm jetta

enatman

TDI
current 2006 brm, 2014 passat SE returned, 2000 jetta 404k (sold)
I have been trying to fix my horn...I replaced the actual horn...nothing..I check the fuse nothing I was trying to avoid taking off the steering wheel

Can anyone interpret this? is it a broken collar?

1 Fault Found:
00906 - Horn (H1)
009 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 7
Mileage: 240695 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
ON
Voltage: 13.95 V
ON
ON
OFF
OFF
OFF

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Open or short to ground is self explanatory. Open = no current (power) to horn. Short to ground = Current (power) shorted to ground. I would not have bothered with VCDS on this. The code is only telling you that the horn doesn't work which you suspected already.

Why did you replace the horn without knowing if it was bad or not? Throwing parts at a problem without any kind of diagnoses can get expensive. Next step after checking the fuse is to put 12 volts to the horn and after that, check for voltage at the horn plug.

Last edited:

enatman

TDI
current 2006 brm, 2014 passat SE returned, 2000 jetta 404k (sold)
Open or short to ground is self explanatory. Open = no current (power) to horn. Short to ground = Current (power) shorted to ground. I would not have bothered with VCDS on this. The code is only telling you that the horn doesn't work which you suspected already.

Why did you replace the horn without knowing if it was bad or not? Throwing parts at a problem without any kind of diagnoses can get expensive. Next step after checking the fuse is to put 12 volts to the horn and after that, check for voltage at the horn plug.
horn was easiest to access, I did check with light, and nothing..BUT horn was also bad? SO I said it i either relay (which I can't find) or fuse (what I think is fuse looks good)

So it sounds like the steering wheel mechanism?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It could be something in the CE module, there is also the J4 relay on the module too.

You can output test a lot of things through the CE via scan tool, to eliminate the input from the troubleshooting equation. If the horn works when you manually output test it, then you know the CE and the relay work.

Depending on equipment, you may have a Steering Column module too. All that stuff goes through that first.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Horn not working

This a old thread, but I still have this problem. Horns work, no power at relay at module. Socket next to horn relay has power jumped power from there and horns worked. Changed the relay module under dash nothing changed, changed clockspring nothing! Sunroof doesn't work either, changed the CCM still nothing.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
This a old thread, but I still have this problem. Horns work, no power at relay at module. Socket next to horn relay has power jumped power from there and horns worked. Changed the relay module under dash nothing changed, changed clockspring nothing! Sunroof doesn't work either, changed the CCM still nothing.
It would be helpful to know which car in your profiles has the problem. The electrical systems on an A4 and an A5 are completely different.

Throwing parts at a problem hoping you fixed it is not an effective way to diagnose a problem. If you are posting about the A5 in your profile, you need VCDS.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
It is a 06 mk5, have Vagcom. Same code as original post. Is power coming from fuse box or thru the ECU?