HELP! Car Randomly Shuts Off/Studders While Driving

tatazshop

TDI
mk4 Golf TDI PD
Hello everyone, I have a 2004 Golf that has 214k miles on it. Recently, it has been doing this random studder (almost like fuel starvation or something) and then goes away, and sometimes after that studder it dies. Today while driving it was studdering and when I got to the red light after 30 seconds the car died, but started right up again. I've changed the fuel lines, fuel pumps (intank and high-pressure), all vacuum lines, brake booster, and n75 valve. and fuel filter. I've also checked the ignition switch by gently wiggling the key. Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
look at the fuel pick up in the tank for clogging or damage.....

Hello everyone, I have a 2004 Golf that has 214k miles on it. Recently, it has been doing this random studder (almost like fuel starvation or something) and then goes away, and sometimes after that studder it dies. Today while driving it was studdering and when I got to the red light after 30 seconds the car died, but started right up again. I've changed the fuel lines, fuel pumps (intank and high-pressure), all vacuum lines, brake booster, and n75 valve. and fuel filter. I've also checked the ignition switch by gently wiggling the key. Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

first place to look is the fuel pickup unit in the tank.

If that is clogged or the connections to in tank pump are damaged from age you will have times where the fuel is starved from the engine's pump. Even if you have replaced the parts if there is still gunk in the tank it will immediately have a failure again once trash is pulled back into the new pump..

I have seen this exact as you describe happen on a few of the PD's when the pick up is clogged or damaged at the in tank pump connections....

tatazshop

TDI
mk4 Golf TDI PD
first place to look is the fuel pickup unit in the tank.

If that is clogged or the connections to in tank pump are damaged from age you will have times where the fuel is starved from the engine's pump. Even if you have replaced the parts if there is still gunk in the tank it will immediately have a failure again once trash is pulled back into the new pump..

I have seen this exact as you describe happen on a few of the PD's when the pick up is clogged or damaged at the in tank pump connections....
So check to make sure nothing is clogging the lines and everything is clean in there? You don't think its electrical? and is there anything else I should check off the bat? Thanks for your response!