'03 alh 0102 & 0101

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I am reading up on the codes and fixes, however, I have a question.

The 0102 code is the main one and comes back within seconds, 0101 has only come on once so far.

Is it possible for an EGR to cause the 0102 (signal too low) and 0101 (signal implausible) codes?
I cleaned the intake when I replaced the turbo and there is a bit of spray from the EGR on the valve cover.

Is this something that could, for some reason, be caused by the new VNT17. Seems unlikely because the it has been in for a while without throwing a CEL.

I pulled the MAF and cleaned it and also did a quick check of the wires (visual and feel). I don't think wires are the issue.
I will probably pull the battery and clean the ground in the morning or afternoon tomorrow. I'll also throw the other MAF (Questionable) in my tool bag in case I have an issue while driving on my trip.

This is the first CEL since I got the car that was not caused by me leaving something unplugged.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
MAF don't tend to take to cleanings very well. Best way to check all of this is with VCDS.

Did you install a 3bar(?) MAP with that VNT17? Of course, that should only be accompanied with a tune.

If the EGR valve is blowing oil out its week hole then it's likely in need of replacing (if the amount of oil coming out becomes more than you wish to keep cleaning up).

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
No 3bar MAP. I will tune the EGR out before I replace it.
I am going to Georgia this weekend so maybe now is a good time to make that happen.

Uhoh, what section is the MAF value in?

I was wondering about the EGR causing it because if it didn't open enough the maf would draw more air causing a varied reading the ECM doesn't expect.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I think the MAF is in the measuring blocks. Not real sure without it right in front of me. Somewhere you can check actual vs specified it should be close on both. You can check for a leaky egr diaphragm with a mityvac.