Has anyone used Meyle brand glow plugs?

Cobl

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Tdi (Silver)
I'm replacing all 4 glow plugs in my 06 BRM TDI and the price difference is almost half price compared to the OEM plugs sold through ECSTuning. I searched but couldn't find anyone who had used them or any reviews on them. I attatched a picture for reference.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd just use the proper NGK plugs in it, they are available from several places I'm sure, you needn't get them from Volkswagen.

The NGK number is CZ104 if that helps.

Cobl

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Tdi (Silver)
Yeah I saw some OEM ones on Amazon for $30 I will probably go that route. Just curious if anyone had any horror stories or if anyone had used them with no issues.

oilhammer

TDI
I have never used anything but the NGK. The NGK seem to work well and are not very commonly needing replacement. Not worth the effort to experiment just to save a few bucks in my opinion. Why are you replacing all of them? I have BRM cars here with 1/4 million miles or more with all the originals in them still.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I bought a meyle oil filter about a year ago that had made in China stamped on it. I was a little disappointed, but it looked fine, so I used it. Amazingly, the car still runs. ;)

Cobl

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Tdi (Silver)
My CEL came on for #2 and #3 glow plug, I don't remember the specific code # but I saved it on the computer just in case. I figured while I was replacing those 2 I might as well replace the other two so I wouldn't have to worry about them failing later. The Jetta has 260,000 miles on it so I think it's fair to say that the GP's have had a good long life! I noticed the harness going to them, the thick plastic insulator was cracked in some places so I'll check that out too and see if it needs to be replaced as well.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Ohm out the GP's; the harness could be your problem. Someone here was comparing some cheaper gp's with the OEM's and found out the taper was not right. That would affect the compression due to a poor seal.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I'd just use the proper NGK plugs in it, they are available from several places I'm sure, you needn't get them from Volkswagen.

The NGK number is CZ104 if that helps.

proper NGK? isnt NGK an aftermarket/cheaper brand?

I just did glow plugs, they came in an OEM VW box and were still cheap as dirt if I remember right... even for an OEM part!!

so is NGK different (worse) than OEM?

I just went through this in the snowmobile world (2012 ski doo summit) and it needed new plugs. I was told to go OEM only as theyre indexed. I ordered from the dealership and they came in an NGK box which kinda scared me.

so whats the deal with NGK??

oilhammer

TDI
The BRMs left the factory with NGKs in them. They ARE the OEM part.

And the BEW and BHW also ended up with [a different] NGK in them, after Bosch/VAG failed to figure out how to make the glow system work properly on many of those cars.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I bought a meyle oil filter about a year ago that had made in China stamped on it. I was a little disappointed, but it looked fine, so I used it. Amazingly, the car still runs. ;)
In my experience meyle is cheap china crap. Like bottom of the barrel china reject crap.

I reluctantly installed one of their ball joints and within 10K miles it was toast.

Cobl

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Tdi (Silver)
From what I'm seeing here I'll buy and install OEM glow plugs by NGK to avoid a headache later on down the road. When you say "OHM out the harness" do you mean taking a volt meter to it and checking the OHM resistance?