Help with new injectors / nozzles / Tune upgrade

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI all,

Not sure where to put this because I want Economy AND power so I put my question here in the general section...

I am about to send in a newly acquired set of Bosch .205 injectors / nozzles
to get them gone through (cleaned / pop tested etc...).

I have read where I can get power AND economy by going with a bigger nozzle size BUT i wanted to do it once and get it done right in case I haven't read everything or maybe I misunderstood something.

Currently my car is in good mechanical shape but is stock (engine wise) with the exception of a Malone stage 1 tune with dynamic EGR.

I am on the quest for the best possible MPGs and the side affect is power to boot....my understanding is that the bigger the tune and the bigger the nozzle is the better my MPGs will be (unless of course if I USE the power....I plan on driving easy so I am not overly concerned about the clutch...I am the only driver of the car).

With that logic I figure on getting at least a Malone stage 2 (or should I go for 3 since the theory was bigger tune is more MPGs provided I stay off the power) and get the DLC 1019 nozzles put on after the injectors are tested / rebuilt.

Anybody have any experience with this and / or any other recommendations before I commit to getting it done?

Would a VAG com tool be needed / helpful with what I'm doing (I did read about adjusting IQ and all that but does the tune handle that or is that a separate issue?).

Thanks in advance for any and all help on this.

Andrew

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Andyinchville1 With that logic I figure on getting at least a Malone stage 2 (or should I go for 3 since the theory was bigger tune is more MPGs provided I stay off the power) and get the DLC 1019 nozzles put on after the injectors are tested / rebuilt. Would a VAG com tool be needed / helpful with what I'm doing (I did read about adjusting IQ and all that but does the tune handle that or is that a separate issue?). Andrew[/QUOTE said:
Lol good luck doing that?

Andrew, I installed Sprint 520's that were on sale at IDParts, my car was an auto that I converted to a manual, that said I put in VR 6/G60 clutch setup. Because my car was originaly an auto I have the 11 MM injection pump. I did a Malone stage 3 on my 01 golf and can not believe the power.......don't get me wrong it's hard not to lean into the power. I do try to drive it modestly......again it's hard:D.
My mpg so are around 43-45 doing this.

I also did all three of my kids cars for Christmas, my oldest and middle child got stage 2 with the same injector setups and love the extra power when they need it.......tickets and insurance is there problem.......they learned to drive modestly but they have the power if needed. I felt that stage 3 was too much torque for them.

My youngest has the dynamic idle, egr delete with a stage one and the car is bone stock......car still has a decent amount of power.......good enough to help her in case she needs it which she has had to use.

You will need to adapt the IQ to a higher number ( reducing the fuel ) via adaptation or the hammer mod, which I have to do once I find my special socket for the IP:eek:

Talk to Mark or Owain at Malone tuning and express your thoughts.......they are very helpful......I think a Stage 2 would be what you need if your clutch is stock.
Just my opinion, but give those guys a shout.....very helpful, and good luck staying off the pedal.......I know I have trouble, espically with those smart a$$ rice rockets that try to ride my back side till I lean on the pedal and smoke ckeck them and am gone:D......feeling is priceless.
Good luck, hope this helped.

ebeday

TDI
2003 jetta TDI 2015 jetta TDI
Injectors, upgrade

I write this when my instincts tell me to mind my own beeswax,but, for what it is worth from a retired diesel mechanic,former fuel injection shop owner.
It looks like your car in question is a 2003 with 223,000 miles.It runs good, my advice would be to leave it as is.. How much better does it need to be, how much better is it going to be after spending your hard earned cash??
One of my Jettas is an 03, best car I ever owned. 415,000 km, all original except for timing belts, alternators, water pumps etc.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I just did a bunch of stuff to mine, BW 17 turbo, sprint 520s, g60 smf, Malone stg 4, 3 bar map. It runs about the same as stock if I go easy/normal on it, but when the boost comes on it's a major difference. 3-4000 rpms it pulls like a freight train and keeps on pulling. Fuel mileage doesn't seem to have went too bad, around an eighth of a tank for a bit over 100 miles so far. The ip timing was a little retarded, and the iq was off enough I had to give it a very slight hammer mod to get it to 3. No smoke that I can tell driving it.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I write this when my instincts tell me to mind my own beeswax,but, for what it is worth from a retired diesel mechanic,former fuel injection shop owner.
It looks like your car in question is a 2003 with 223,000 miles.It runs good, my advice would be to leave it as is.. How much better does it need to be, how much better is it going to be after spending your hard earned cash??
One of my Jettas is an 03, best car I ever owned. 415,000 km, all original except for timing belts, alternators, water pumps etc.
For too many years I used to think just like you.....then around 360,000kms I replaced my wore out injectors with 1019's, my noisy inj pump wth a low milage 11mm pump, my rotten downpipe with a 2.5" catless dp from whitebread, my rattly dmf with an up-graded clutch and thought might as well add a tune from Kerma while I'm at it.

Talk about "Fahrvergnügen"....:D.

These cars should have come this way from the factory........ running better than new at 520,000kms and still getting 50mpg on road trips! ......... and no car payments.

And that's coming from a 60 yr old farmer.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Appreciate the kind words Steve!

Fuel economy on these is typically up to your right foot. Sprint 520s or DLC520s will likely be optimal for fuel economy, because you'll be limited by fueling and it might help you keep your foot out of it. Stage 1 typically nets the best FE because you won't be able to put as much power down :p

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/uhoh

THREE ALH Golfs, all three 2000s, with Malone Stage 2 tunes and DLC520s. All get me right at (or above) 50mpg. "Tanku" has an 11mm IP and an 02m (6spd): this was recently acquired- just under 3k miles put on it.

Cars are all driven roughly the same roads and distances. Wife's commute (her car is "Tanka") might be a little less favorable, which accounts for it being on the low side of the 50mpg mark: it's also got the most tired suspension; having a front brake calliper sticking on it also.

ALL of these cars jump when you stomp on them.

ebeday, I went with bumping performance for SAFETY reasons. On our local highways there are lots of logging and dump trucks. I wasn't going to have my wife trying running with a mere 90hp and 155 ft-lb car/engine: hers was dyno'd at roughly 120hp and 250 ft-lbs. She's noted that the car has been able to get distance (from a truck barrelling down on her- entering the highway) in quick order.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
Not even new injectors? You have a beast locked up and you don't even know it. Should have minded your own beeswax :)

Last edited: