MK3 AHU new pump and timing belt, will only start on ether, and smokes blue

vesperisk

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
I'm at a loss, everyone. I'm really hoping someone can help me out here. I posted a while ago about a MK3 Jetta I bought that didn't run. Leaked fuel like a mofo from the injection pump. Euro shop said I needed to reseal pump. Ended with a brand new pump. The car runs now, but only after you start it on a little brake cleaner. It smoked blue the entire way home from the shop according to my friend who was following me in his vehicle. When you crank it to start it, it'll crank and then there will be some intermittent grinding noise and it won't fire. I've thought it might be the starter, but usually those either won't work or they'll grind once the motor runs not grind while it's cranking. no codes since I got it back but I literally only drove it home and parked it.

just really at a loss here. looked around a little for some similar stuff but i cant really find much that's TDI specific or matched up with what my car is doing. anything to try or look at would be really appreciated. dont want to start throwing parts at it. anything to try is appreciated. thanks guys/gals.

vesperisk

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
The shop did the timing. They do it the proper way with the special tools. Same shop timed my old 1.9 ALH and it was perfect that's why I went back to them.

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Blue smoke sounds like it's burning oil... badly. What does the oil cap do when you loosen it while the engine is running? This is a quick way to see if you have a lot of blowby.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
So they have the tools to set up the static timing. Do they have VCDS or something to check it once it's running?

Sounds like late timing to me.

vesperisk

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
Is there any chance the new pump came from an online vendor in North Carolina?
I didn't think about the new pump being bad. I ordered it through a local Bosch certified shop but they ordered it from another company since they don't do the electronically controlled pumps. I'll need to look at my paperwork and go up and talk to them Monday. Could have come from NC is what I'm getting at.

vesperisk

TDI
98 Jetta AHU
Blue smoke sounds like it's burning oil... badly. What does the oil cap do when you loosen it while the engine is running? This is a quick way to see if you have a lot of blowby.
I haven't messed with it since I got it home and parked it. If I can get it fired up again I'll check that though. Like I said it was my friend following who said it was blue smoke so I'm hoping his wrong and it was raw fuel smoke from an injector or something.
So they have the tools to set up the static timing. Do they have VCDS or something to check it once it's running?
Sounds like late timing to me.
Their bread and butter is VW work so I would be shocked if they didn't have the program side of doing a timing job. I trust the shop from past work and I'm not at the point of doubting them yet but it's something to consider. I might have to purchase the program and double check my timing but I'm trying not to throw money at it.

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
What does the oil cap do when you loosen it while the engine is running? This is a quick way to see if you have a lot of blowby.
On an AHU??

On a healthy AHU you cant even pour oil into a running engines valve cover due to the rush of air trying to escape.... The reason is the vacuum pump dumps into the crankcase.. I would expect to see that "blowby" and if it weren't there I would look for a failed vacuum pump..

it sounds like timing is the issue. the pump is off a tooth but cam and crank are good.... unless it clanks really bad.