AdBlue - Pump Replacement 2011 Q7TDI

VictorG

TDI
2011 Q7 TDI
I have a 2011 Q7TDI with 160,000km and love this vehicle.
I have been on a very long roller coaster ride with a constant Emission Failure with My Q7 over the last 7 months. I have had the vehicle into several repair facilities and the Local Audi dealer a Total of 7 times have replaced Nox Sensors (both), and a variety of other repairs, spent $7,000 to date, After all this Still have the AdBlue Repair Fault coming on at highway speeds. My Local Audi Dealer has now diagnosed that I need to replace the AdBlue Pump, Lines, Transfer Pump and Heater to the tune of $5K - Has anyone had to replace the AdBlue Pump, Audi will not warranty any part of it. Can the Leak be repaired? Any advise would be very helpful.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I have a 2011 Q7TDI with 160,000km and love this vehicle.
I have been on a very long roller coaster ride with a constant Emission Failure with My Q7 over the last 7 months. I have had the vehicle into several repair facilities and the Local Audi dealer a Total of 7 times have replaced Nox Sensors (both), and a variety of other repairs, spent $7,000 to date, After all this Still have the AdBlue Repair Fault coming on at highway speeds. My Local Audi Dealer has now diagnosed that I need to replace the AdBlue Pump, Lines, Transfer Pump and Heater to the tune of $5K - Has anyone had to replace the AdBlue Pump, Audi will not warranty any part of it. Can the Leak be repaired? Any advise would be very helpful.
Your Q7 drives fine still, correct? And you are eligible for a very generous buyback this year. Don't do a thing! If it helps, just put a piece of electrical tape over the check engine light (kinda kidding....but kinda serious!)
My Touareg (also 2011) has had an on again off again CE light for its lifetime. VW replaced part after part under warranty or good will, but the reality is that the gen 1 engine and emissions system were not planned and executed properly. These issues don't affect the gen 2 cars. There is no reason why you shouldn't just keep driving the vehicle knowing that you will get to drop off the car on Audi's lot and walk away in a few short months, big check in hand.

VictorG

TDI
2011 Q7 TDI
Thank you Mythdoc, Well I think that will be the only option, but the Audi Dealers here in Canada don't think we will see anything as far as a settlement goes for the 3.0L engines until 2019 - they have been dragging their feet - even the 2.0L settlement is not rolling out until April of this year. I had to purchase a Bluetooth OBDII reader so that I can pull and clear the codes from my cell phone as the AdBlue warning counts down the mileage to a no-restart. I was hoping there was a more focussed repair option instead of replacing everything.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
There is the anti-social solution to remove the entire adblue subsystem: buzzken or rawtec parts and Malone tune. I assume would lead to emissions testing problems in Ontario. A bit under $2000 I think.

Zannie

TDI
Touareg
For the price of the tune and delete, you would have been ahead to do that. Contact Buzzken and check what he can do if you want to take care of the failed emissions.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I don't know about Canada,but there is no action yet in US on a buy for Tregs or Q-7s. 2 liter cars are in the recall now. There was news here in US was additional pay outs to owners of both models ,$300 for Little engines , $1500 for 3 liter cars from Bosche. Hang in there and hope the buy back action starts soon.

VictorG

TDI
2011 Q7 TDI
The Word here is that there will be no Buy Back on the 3.0 Engines - since they have the AdBlue Systems they feel they just have to do a software update. The Audi Dealership here was confident they can stall this well into 2019 - leaving the owners to continue to pay for repairs. With the Emissions Program here in Ontario/Canada doing a delete is not an option. I am having a hard time accepting the dealerships diagnosis that everything needs to be replaced, just wondering if anyone out there has had to pay for a AdBlue pump replacement or if there is a repair that can fix the pump?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Canada is doing the same (albeit delayed) as the US on the 2.0L engine. Why wouldn't they also follow suit on the 3.0L engine? I think your dealer is either terribly misinformed, or misinforming you terribly.

The 2009-2012 3.0L engine is slated for buyback in the US. Only the 2013+ engines look like they are going to pass emissions guidelines, even slightly reduced ones.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Only the 2013+ engines look like they are going to pass emissions guidelines, even slightly reduced ones.
VW is saying they can bring the 2013+ 3-liter TDIs into full compliance with their original certification standards. If they can't, they have to offer the buyback. They can also offer an approved modification that reduces emissions to greater than the original certified levels, but that won't relieve them of the requirement to offer a buyback for those cars.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
VW is saying they can bring the 2013+ 3-liter TDIs into full compliance with their original certification standards. If they can't, they have to offer the buyback. They can also offer an approved modification that reduces emissions to greater than the original certified levels, but that won't relieve them of the requirement to offer a buyback for those cars.
Clarification accepted, but that doesn't change my point to OP, who has a vehicle already qualifying for a buyback, yet his dealer is insisting it doesn't and he should change his entire emissions system equipment.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Fair enough, though we don't know for sure what form the Canadian settlement will take.

VictorG

TDI
2011 Q7 TDI
Well I am prepared to wait it out and see if there is a buy Back, investing $5K plus at this point into the car doesn't make a lot of sense, even though I truly enjoy the vehicle in every way and would like to keep driving it. I am still a diesel fan and hope that all the issues get resolved so we can get on with enjoying our vehicles, or maybe have to go to BMW or Mercedes. I have emailed Audi Care Canada now 2 times over the last 3 weeks and I am disappointed to say they can't even acknowledge my concern or return a email, you would think they would be a bit more sensitive to diesel emission related issues in these times.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Honestly if you want a Diesel SUV I would either buy something older without DEF systems or just settle on the poor mileage of a gas motor. The difference in fuel economy will probably not offset the cost and headache of emissions repairs. The BMWs seem to be a bit more reliable and we're making stupid power out of them (550wtq in the 335ds and we're just getting started). Decent hybrids will be here within 5 years or so and toyota/subaru already have good SUVs. Most of the German stuff has become too complicated for it's own good.

Diesels just do not work properly with these systems in place and multi thousand dollar wear items are just unreasonable, would rather hire tree planters. Tail pipe emissions are only one part of the story and there should be focus on global emissions rather than just what's made locally. I would avoid force-passing readiness monitors, not entirely sure on the fines and consequences but they would not be light. A couple tuners have been hit with six digit emissions related fines in the US recently and it's certainly something we don't plan on getting caught up in.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
^^all that granted, my Touareg TDI has been far and away the best and most satisfying car I ever bought. Sure, the CE light has been a frequent visitor, but the new 10 year warranty is nice. With the buybacks announced, I thought about other engines, including the Q5 TDI gasser, but just love the combination of fuel efficiency and torque a Diesel engine provides.