02 TDI w/malone tune. dies under full boost (22PSI)

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
On another note. My alt is steady at 14.6v. Regulator? I guess adding that gauge has made me a nervous nelly!
That's on the high side, but not outrageous IMHO... my Mazda pickup runs at 15.1 and has the same battery it came with from the factory I bet.

Just to be clarify: is that 14.6 volts, as read at the battery posts, with a high-quality meter?

I ask because my Scangauge, for example, reads about .5V higher than my Fluke multimeter does. Guess which one I trust more. :)

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
my fluke read 14.4 at the battery and my VDO gauge in the dash is just a needle shy of 15. I trust my fluke. But I think this is way to high for "normal" charging. I have had dead battery issues. but only when connected to the car. I had it unhooked for nearly a month while working on it and it had a full charge, so I don't think the battery is the problem.

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
I have been emailing malone tuning. sent them a copy of some stats from VCDS. They said the numbers looked good. So, I rented a flashzilla so I could send them a copy of my tune. Waiting to here back as to which one I have.

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I was just wondering if the tune and the map sensor are compatible? Like the possibility that someone put a 3 bar sensor in and the tune isn't setup for it? Might be worth checking into.

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
I have heard from Malone Tuning. I had an "Old" Malone tune. They hooked me up with a Stage 4 tune at 22 psi. I readjusted my actuator rod to open just before 4" of vacuum. Its still a little laggy but nothing like it was and pulls hard. Boost will go to 25 under WOT then settle right to 22 and stay there til red line. I'm a happy camper.

MANY, MANY thanks to the folks at http://www.malonetuning.com/

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am glad to hear you got the bugs worked out. That is a tune that should allow the turbo to operate without problems for a very long time.

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9
Just an update. Put a tank of fuel through the motor and sent another set of diags to Malone. They said everything is looking good and should run fine. However, with the tune and VNT17 I could get some more power with a 11mm pump and bigger noozles. :) Not in the cards ATM from the hit my wallet has already taken. But it's nice to know there are options in the future!!

Thanks Owain!!