Newest herd member

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I can't explain this. Seems lots of odd things happen in my life that I cannot readily explain. Anyway, out of the blue I was asked if I was interested in this car. Did I need another car? Not really. BUT... my wife and I depend heavily on our existing two Golfs and should one of them encounter a significant problem we're kind of stuck (I'm just now, finally, having a garage built; without a garage car problems are a LOT more difficult to deal with- it rains a LOT here!).

Perhaps the most important reason I got this car (which I'm figuring my wife is going to make hers [kick old Tanka to the side:(]) is because this came from boertje (actually delivered it to us!). Not often does a car like this that's been under the care of such capable hands become available.

205k miles: never thought I'd be exited about a car with mileage over 200k! The car has a transplanted 6 spd (by boertje). DLC520s (mounted and set by DBW), Malone Stage 2 tune and, because it started life out with an automatic in it, an 11mm IP. Bilstein shocks, sport (fairly recent). Turbo has been gone through (cleaned). New N75. Tires are pretty new. Even came with Michelin X-ice tires on steelies. TB done 60k ago.

I've found myself looking for another gear in our other Golfs. Not like I really need to go THAT fast, it's just kind of an odd response. Well, hitting 80mph and then having that extra gear- holy smokes! :eek: This was merging on to the freeway. I don't really look to drive fast. Cruising along at 70 mph at 2000 RPM is awesome.

The clutch, Sachs (rated for PD150s), is as nice as the DC stage 1 in my Golf. It is MILES better than the aging clutch (185k, and which I still cannot understand how it's holding the power) in the wife's Golf. And the fresher suspension... I think that these two things right here tell me that my wife is going to opt to make this her regular driver. She often takes some long trips, so the 6spd will also be a big plus for her: and maybe it'll allow her to beat me in our contest for best fuel mileage :D I have no hesitation having my wife drive this car: that's a big tip of my hat to boertje!

Three Golfs. ALL 2000s. ALL manual trans. ALL with DLC520s and Malone stage 2 tunes. I think that I can stop now :D (got a lot of work to do on the daughter's wagon! [need that garage to get finished!])

And, Rem, thank you too!

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
my wife and I depend heavily on our existing two Golfs and should one of them encounter a significant problem
Volkswagen? Problem? That's unpossible!!:D

Nice car. I like the 6MT and the dark blue. A clean ALH manual trans Golf is a rare thing these days where I live. Congrats.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Nice!!
I've always had at least one "spare", and parts car(s) too. Not that I've needed them much, but it's comforting to have a backup plan. Now that I don't have to be to work every day it's not so much an issue, but an extra car waiting in the shed feels good.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was hesitant to buy this because it wasn't green:D

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Take the color filter off of your camera lens and look at your new car through it; you can make the new car any color you like. :)

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Congrats! Can't go wrong with a manual ALH no matter what body it's in. Interesting that you're prejudice against other colors. Color doesn't really matter. LOL.

My saying around here is: You can NEVER have too many Beetles!

Good luck with your new to you car. ENJOY!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Congrats! Can't go wrong with a manual ALH no matter what body it's in. Interesting that you're prejudice against other colors. Color doesn't really matter. LOL.

My saying around here is: You can NEVER have too many Beetles!

Good luck with your new to you car. ENJOY!

I agreed to buy another "project" car tonite. A white (my all time favorite color Jetta) 2002 TDI. Partially apart, bad engine. Probably TB related. Doesn't matter, the engine in the 2001 original "jettawreck" will be going into it in the spring as the extensive bodywork that was done on the "wreck"is starting to go really badly after ten years. $500 and it's only about 10 miles from home.
Just finished (almost) the 2003-2003 TDI into the 1.8 swap project this fall. Haven't really even driven it other than road testing it, so didn't need this one yet but couldnt say no to that.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oh plz...Just don't wash it for a few months...it'll turn moss green all by itself :D
Yeah, we live in the same area! (been meaning to PM you to see whereabouts you live)

Once a year I turn my truck from green to white/brown: wash it:D

Again, the background on having the two green Golfs is that it provides an extra security feature in that when only one of us is at home no one would know which one it is. Running across the second green Golf was kind of a fluke in that my wife had said that she wanted a car just like mine (she was in the process of getting a job that requires a fair commute distance). Read the first paragraph (first two sentences) of my opening post: it "explains" everything.:D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just an update on my impressions of this car.

I've been driving it of late because my Golf is out of service for exhaust system work.

This thing is mind-boggling! Transmission and clutch is butter smooth. Bumping up to 80mph and then hitting another gear is nuts! Cruising in 6th is effortless: I'm really wanting to get an UltraGauge for this car so I can see what kind of MPGs I'm getting with this when cruising. Just ran through the first full tank of fuel and got an even 50 mpg: son had driven it a bunch, in which case figure it was run fairly spiritedly;)

Handling is good, crisp. However, I am finding that I like the ride of my car with its Koni STRTs better than the Bilstein sports on this car.

I've installed new hood insulation (rodents!). New grab handle bits just arrived and I'll look to install them when I have time. This should get things looking good.

I continue my search for heated, black cloth seats. With these and a change to the audio system (single DIN JVC is OK, but require bluetooth and Android Auto capability) the wife will become the primary driver (her current Golf needs a suspension refresh and a new clutch [original DMF has 188k on it and is getting fairly stiff]).

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I can't explain this. Seems lots of odd things happen in my life that I cannot readily explain.
WOW! I'm glad the stuff doesn't happen to me.

That's great that you're getting awesome mileage. Anytime you do 50 or better puts a smile on your face.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
WOW! I'm glad the stuff doesn't happen to me.

That's great that you're getting awesome mileage. Anytime you do 50 or better puts a smile on your face.
Yeah, cranking it up and STILL being able to hit 50mpg is stuff that very few vehicles can do. For our driving it doesn't take much effort to crack 50mpg: only time some effort has to be applied is when there's rare venture into traffic-jam alley (Seattle area).

I'm looking for a good parts car. Problem is is that I fear that I couldn't face dismantling a repairable vehicle!

When the son's car was last down here, making it four four TDI [MK4 ALH] Golfs on site, I was going to put up a sign at the entrance to the drive: "TDI Golfs Only!":D (of course, TDI Bugs could enter by permission from the property owner :D)

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Yeah, cranking it up and STILL being able to hit 50mpg is stuff that very few vehicles can do. For our driving it doesn't take much effort to crack 50mpg: only time some effort has to be applied is when there's rare venture into traffic-jam alley (Seattle area).

I'm looking for a good parts car. Problem is is that I fear that I couldn't face dismantling a repairable vehicle!

When the son's car was last down here, making it four four TDI [MK4 ALH] Golfs on site, I was going to put up a sign at the entrance to the drive: "TDI Golfs Only!":D (of course, TDI Bugs could enter by permission from the property owner :D)

When my daughter visited us we would have 4 silver MK4's in the drive. She gave me a sign that read "Parking for VW's only, all others will be towed".:D
Plus it confused the heck out of my 93 year old mother.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"Tanku," as I refer to this car as, just got a heated-seat transplant. The son found some very nice seats (from 2003 Jetta?). Circuitry checked out perfectly. Ordered up a Kufatec wire harness (bought two- one is to be used in my Golf- "Tanko"). As seems the case with most elective surgeries, I came to the "what am I doing?" point. The amount of effort just seemed to be more than I was wanting. When you have something ripped apart you're pretty much best to just keep marching forward!

Wife's car was just taken out of service (brake issue). When asked which car she wanted to drive to work (Tanku or Tanko) she said "Tanku"- because it has heated seats!:D

Next on the agenda is to upgrade the stereo head unit: currently has a Pioneer single DIN that has an AUX DIN, but no bluetooth). Thinking about getting something with Android Auto for the wife: she may then make this her DD. Meanwhile I'm ripping apart my 2000 Jetta parts car and find a CD changer in the trunk.... it would work in my car:D (all stock, and changer-ready [I think]).

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
"Tanku," as I refer to this car as, just got a heated-seat transplant. The son found some very nice seats (from 2003 Jetta?). Circuitry checked out perfectly. Ordered up a Kufatec wire harness (bought two- one is to be used in my Golf- "Tanko"). As seems the case with most elective surgeries, I came to the "what am I doing?" point. The amount of effort just seemed to be more than I was wanting. When you have something ripped apart you're pretty much best to just keep marching forward!

Wife's car was just taken out of service (brake issue). When asked which car she wanted to drive to work (Tanku or Tanko) she said "Tanku"- because it has heated seats!:D

Next on the agenda is to upgrade the stereo head unit: currently has a Pioneer single DIN that has an AUX DIN, but no bluetooth). Thinking about getting something with Android Auto for the wife: she may then make this her DD. Meanwhile I'm ripping apart my 2000 Jetta parts car and find a CD changer in the trunk.... it would work in my car:D (all stock, and changer-ready [I think]).
Kudos to you for the heated seat work, it's a fair amount of work, but buying the harness helps.

I have BT radios in 2 of our 3 MKIV's and I have to say, well worth the $$. I'd only suggest to find a way to get what you want with the least amount of wiring effort. Assuming you're not looking at >$500 HU's, very few "functions" are worth extra wiring headaches. Good luck.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm wondering whether to pull the fans out of the Jetta parts car I picked up. They seem to spin freely. Seems like a good idea to have spares around: I've replaced two or three fans to-date (on wife's car it was due to a broken outer ring- that thing cause a heck of a vibration when the fan kicked on, almost felt like a failing DMF!).

Wired in a Jenson VX7022 in the wife's green Golf. Pretty much all the wiring that one could do I ended up doing- not really a bit issue for me.