obd 11

Jonny5

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-d...:g:hAYAAOSwwbdWLRsw&item=272033640473&vxp=mtr

Do you think the device in the above link will work.

I have no experience with vw software. I do know I don't want to spend 250+ on it. I don't know any one with vw cars. The only one I did was a guy wanted me to install e bay turbo kit in his golf. install went good but the car was a na and I have no idea what he did about tuning. I have quite a bit of experience with hp tuners. but don't what I should invest my money into to work on my tdi. thanks for the help.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
http://www.ross-tech.com/

You cannot go wrong with the genuine product. I suspect no one has said much because no one knows about these cheap chinese ripoffs. For $250 even if you save just one trip to the dealer, the savings of that one trip pays for the product.

Jonny5

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
What can that one do. By what I have found is that you can't tune these engines through obd connector. So I'm not sure y to get that one.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
In terms of diagnostics, your car speaks two different languages:

1) generic OBD2, can be read by any cheap OBD2 scanner, rudimentary and often misleading diagnostic codes

2) Volkswagen proprietary, needs to be read by a VW-specific scanner. Much more accurate codes, able to manipulate various settings, add keys, remotes, tweak factory settings. Industrial versions cost 1000's, VCDS is an amazing deal at $250 and you'll able to resell it for almost that much if you ever sell the car.

Your ebay link looks like it's a generic scanner that you can pay to have upgraded with pirated software to additional features, but that's just a guess. :)

Tuning is an entirely different thingie... many ECUs can be tuned thru the ODB2 port, some can't. Requires completely different hardware and software... and very specific knowledge as the basis of the process involves re-writing different maps. I believe your 2013 is not tunable thru the OBD2 port yet, but someone may weigh in with better info.

For all intents and purposes are no "OBD tuners" for a VW like there are for a Duramax, for example. Again, entirely different thingie. :)

Last edited:

Jonny5

TDI
2013 JSW TDI
ok well thanks for the input. so how would the dealer update ecus. if we have access to almost same software as dealer and from what im finding we have to rechip and reprogram that chip to tune these cars. how is the dealer gona reprogram them??