Highest Mileage TDI

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
Donny O. said:
updated milage in my sig. did have to finaly replace the factory clutch at 328,000 miles. it still grabbed fine but the throwout bearing went and the clutch would not release when pressed. it even started jsut fine last night leaving work and it was -3 outside.
i'm going to hit 354K tomorrow and still runs great. IP is leaking a little so need to mess with that soon I think!!

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Since this thread has been brought back from the dead, I might as well update my previous post. I'm up to 382K miles now.

Someone mentioned badges for our high mileage cars. I'd like to get something like this to add next to our TDI badging on the rear.

I actually found a place to get them, but they don't have secure checkout and won't answer my emails. Maybe VW would help us so the font will be correct.

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
you wish. VW has sooo very poor support of its enthusiasts. Especially the fringe diesel community... :(
Congrats though. Keep the mileage climbing!

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
jbrone said:
I haven't been on much lately...

ODO does reset after 300K.

I have a 1198 Jetta TDI, and I bought it used with 123,456 miles logged. Figured that was an omen - just hoped it was a good one. The car was hands down the nicest used car I could find for the money. I now have about 160,000 miles logged, and it is still a strong car. If nothing major happens, I expect at least 300,000, and if the body holds out, no reason not to get 500,000.
my odo had 10,000 miles when i bought it. i now have 60k. so I'm at 360k. The previous owner told me he traded in his previous tdi at 550k. If I can make that I'll be happy

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
TDiMike said:
This job definitely tops the list of "my version of hell".
I don't know why you'd say that. Some of us like to drive for a living.

Especially if you can drive a fun VW on the highway instead of a huge 18 wheeler.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
oldpoopie said:
you wish. VW has sooo very poor support of its enthusiasts. Especially the fringe diesel community... :(
Congrats though. Keep the mileage climbing!
I don't have to wish any longer. They're not from VW, and the fonts do not match perfectly, but it's pretty close. And yes, I have the "4" to replace the "3" when the time comes.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
TDiMike said:
This job definitely tops the list of "my version of hell".
Not at all, not if you're driving the right car (a TDI). Not if you don't have to spend much time in heavy traffic -- and you don't accumulate 550k miles in four years sitting in traffic. And if you get paid a decent rate per mile, with a fuel surcharge when diesel gets expensive, then it can be pretty sweet (especially when mileage is tax-free).

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
K5ING said:
I don't have to wish any longer. They're not from VW, and the fonts do not match perfectly, but it's pretty close. And yes, I have the "4" to replace the "3" when the time comes.

AWSOME. Where did you get?

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
I got them at www.youremblem.com but let me give you a word of advice.

I've been wanting to get some from that site for awhile, but back when I first found them, their order page was NOT secure. They wouldn't take PayPal either. I sent them several emails and didn't get any response back again. That was over a year ago.

I checked them out again recently and noticed that while their order page is still NOT secure, they now take PayPal. I ordered them, and afterwards got an email asking me what I had ordered. They have a problem syncing the order system with the PayPal stuff, or so they said. The letters did show up in my mailbox just a few days later, however, so all is well.

They also have several different fonts, and even whole words such as "BIODIESEL" can be ordered at discounts.

Last edited:

TDroId

TDI
2010 JSW on the way
so I was picking up my gasser pickup at the mechanic, and was chatting about the car i have otw(2010 JSW)... And he said you have to check this out. He had a yellow 1999 NB there getting a timing belt, some wheel bearings and suspension bushings replaces. And get this - the car had 900,908 MILES on it! He said the guy ran the car for a courior service. It was amazing to see. The bumper looked like someone took a sandblaster to it for about an hour. Original engine.  I didn't read the whole thread, but this one has to be up there. I guess when he gets to a million, he is planning on letting VW use it for research if they want. AMAZING!

Last edited by a moderator:

aceluck

TDI
looking for a wagon
Wow, that's even more impressive in Canadian terms: 1.6 million kms!

Except there's no way on earth a car could survive that long up here, the rust termites would have it disolved to a pile of reddish-brown bust long before then!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
aceluck said:
Wow, that's even more impressive in Canadian terms: 1.6 million kms!

Except there's no way on earth a car could survive that long up here, the rust termites would have it disolved to a pile of reddish-brown bust long before then!
There's a Canadian New Beetle with 1.1 million km.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
WOW that is 1900 avg a week and 270 a day that car never stop:eek: How bad was the front seat wore out.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
sodapop6620 said:
Here is a link to a post I started awhile back.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=97262

I am at 402000 now. Still chugging along:rolleyes:
Wait, on 10/15/09 you had 340,000. Today you've got 402000??

Thats 62,000 miles in 47 days, 1319 miles a day...... Seriously? Are you sure you are running the correct size tires? Perhaps your ODO is off????:eek:

ARMOURPASSAT

TDI
97 Passat TDI
I currently have a 1997 Passat TDI with 486000 Kms, original engine..
I just sold a 1998 Jetta TDI with 575000 Kms, original engine..
I have also owned a 1992 Jetta Diesel with 630000 Kms, Head Gasket @ 550000 Kms...

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I only hit 353k miles this morning in my 02 Golf TDI. :cool:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Lance Allison said:
Just shy of 340,000 miles now.
Over the summer I helped Lance change his timing belt. He was at about ~420,000 miles at the time.

:)

eric_x

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 TDI Passat Wagon
TDroId said:
so I was picking up my gasser pickup at the mechanic, and was chatting about the car i have otw(2010 JSW)... And he said you have to check this out. He had a yellow 1999 NB there getting a timing belt, some wheel bearings and suspension bushings replaces. And get this - the car had 900,908 MILES on it! He said the guy ran the car for a courior service. It was amazing to see. The bumper looked like someone took a sandblaster to it for about an hour. Original engine.  I didn't read the whole thread, but this one has to be up there. I guess when he gets to a million, he is planning on letting VW use it for research if they want. AMAZING!

I think I might have talked to a salesperson about this car (westside). He said that he had seen a 900k NB, the owner also bought a '06 that he drives on weekends to keep fresh, in case the old one died suddenly. Apparently the owner runs hard-copy medical records from state to state. He missed the high-mileage contest because he never saw the contest (listed online). I heard it was the original engine, and a 5spd. Replaced the TB every year, and had records down to lightbulbs..