Injector replacement results. Wondering.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
So old injectors I thought would cause the new injectors to show a lower iq. My old injectors showed 3.8mg. Same adaptation numbers on my new ones. 6.4mg.

Shouldn't I have had to hammermod? Stock adaptation numbers put me at 4.0 dead on. I decided to run at 5.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
What kind of injectors did you put in? Bigger or the same? We're they tested and pressures set?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
On a side note the start of injection did drop a lot I was right below the bottom of spec for retarded. Old injectors were dead center. I'm now running about 1/4th below the advanced spec line.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You might ask DBW for a number, only hammer if you have to.
5.2 sounds about right for bigger nozzles, but there are other factors.*
*This info is from reading here, I have no expertise.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
On the ones I did I install Sprint 520's in three of my cars, in my case the IQ number went down to like 1.5 to 2. I had to adapt them to a higher number to around 4-5 .
I recently did Malone stage 2 to two of the cars and stage 3 to mine......have to go in there and raise it up higher to probably around 8 , but gotta find my special socket for the IP as I now have to hammer it. I get smoke at wot.......but lots of power����

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
This is interesting. The ECU does quite a bit of finagling with those settings.
I might try setting the IQ adaptation back to stock and drive it a day or 2, then try to tweak.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
You might ask DBW for a number, only hammer if you have to.
5.2 sounds about right for bigger nozzles, but there are other factors.*
*This info is from reading here, I have no expertise.

The 5.2 is what I was told. I always suspected the old injectors were using way more fuel. I guess this kinda confirms it.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Its been pointed out to me that I am louder now. I dont have the odd tick tick tick when im going down the road anymore but I suspected a injector making noise for that anyways.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ticking could have been a leaking injector seal.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
So with hid headlights behind me I still get a good bit of smoke. May have to adapt a little higher tomorrow and see how it is.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Going to larger nozzles usually causes more noise at Idle. DBW's website suggests IIRC to set the IQ between 5 and 7as each engine is slightly different even with identical components. Have you hammer modded the IP yet? If you have the IQ numbers will be relative but not exact. Keep us posted.

atownbrg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed
So in general how do you like the dlc1019's? I am considering these nozzles as well. Any change in how the car starts?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
So in general how do you like the dlc1019's? I am considering these nozzles as well. Any change in how the car starts?

I have a little shutter at startup. Power is double what I had before, but crappy worn out nozzles are to blame I'm sure.

For the other post, tomorrow or Saturday I'll bump up to around 5.8 on iq and see what happens.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I doubt that you're going to effectively cut back the smoke w/o also cutting down on power, without an accompanying tune that is.

All my Golfs smoke at WOT. Can't say what my Golf's IQ is set to (I'm wanting to say 3.2-ish)- I didn't touch it post nozzle upgrade and tune. Wife's Golf smoked more and I pushed the IQ up: I need to hammer mod it. Mentioning numbers is mostly meaningless; the real "measure" is in performance (and watching smoke).

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
On a side note the start of injection did drop a lot I was right below the bottom of spec for retarded. Old injectors were dead center. I'm now running about 1/4th below the advanced spec line.

AP,

You should have a look at this from DBW's site;
http://www.dbwllc.net/app/uploads/2014/09/DBW-Pump-Timing-Procedure.pdf
He recommends timing the pump to the top of the graph.
Then I'd suggest play with IQ adaptation and hammer modding.

Cheers,
R*2

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Pump is about 1/4 from the top advanced line. My change to iq of 5.6 cut a little power but I don't blow smoke in normal driving anymore. I would have clouds around 3000rpm on normal driving when I would shift at 4.8. Little bit of smoke and smoke at full throttle is fine with me.