3-way highbeam switch instead of 2-way?

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
My new-to-me B4 has an annoying 2-way highbeam switch, where there is no "away" setting, and "towards" clicks the highbeams on or off. I prefer the normal 3-way, where "away" turns them on and "towards" is only a momentary switch to flash them. Is there a switch I can swap from another car (B3?) that fixes this?

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I think your switch is worn out and doesn't click anymore, you likely need a new one.

Prowl the mall parking lot till you find a car like yours unlocked and climb in and feel the difference.

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
No, it clicks when I pull it towards me. It's a different style of switch than what I'm used to (which seems more common); some Chryslers and my 83 Mitsubishi truck had this style. I find it annoying and want to see if other VWs have a 3-way that'll fit. Pretty sure they went to 3-ways on the Mk.4 but it probably doesn't fit.

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
Well, then.

So to be clear, a B4 highbeam switch gets pushed away to keep the highbeams on? And when you pull it towards you and let go, the highbeams flash but do not stay on?

If yes and yes, then... I need a new switch. Can I use a B3, A3, or any other switches?

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
The A3 does the same thing: all the action is done by pulling towards you. If you want a momentary flash, you half-pull it, before it reaches the click-point.

If this is the worst thing bugging you about the 20-year old car you just bought, you're either blessed or crazy.

Last edited:

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
So... it's not broken, it's just a different 3-way than I'm used to. I didn't know about the halfway flash.

If 20-year old cars are the worst thing bugging us about life, we're either blessed or crazy. Maybe a bit of both?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Try pulling gently toward the driver to see if it engages momentarily without clicking on. If not, it's probably not working right. The funny thing is- I much preferred this style to the push-away version!

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
There is no 3 position switch you can use from any other car. My wife's Honda has the 3 position switch and it takes some getting used to when you are already used to the stock VW 2 position switch.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The mk4s have a 3 position switch almost exactly as you describe. Would take a bit of work to make one fit, though. Different steering column, different ignition housing and trim around the column, different wiring connectors.

But if you went through all that trouble to make a mk4 column with the switches and steering wheel fit, you'd also be rewarded with a telescoping steering wheel. I've been kind of wanting to try it out for some time now, especially since Mk4s are incredibly common in the u-pull it yards around here these days.

But... I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Consider that the the stalks / switches in your B4 are the same as a 1976 Rabbit. They might go back further than that!

-J

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
Try pulling gently toward the driver to see if it engages momentarily without clicking on. If not, it's probably not working right. The funny thing is- I much preferred this style to the push-away version!
It does. It works great. I didn't know about this. Now that I do, I actually prefer it to the traditional 3-way. That makes one VW idiosyncrasy that I like (nevermind the dozens and counting that I don't...)

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It does. It works great. I didn't know about this. Now that I do, I actually prefer it to the traditional 3-way. That makes one VW idiosyncrasy that I like (nevermind the dozens and counting that I don't...)
Glad it works!

It's funny, I much prefer the way VW's operate compared to all those non-VW auto idiosyncrasies!

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Interesting. I thought it was just on/off as well and found it annoying, but not enough to ask about. Good to know!
I think the one idiosyncrasy I still hate is the fact that I can't hit a "lock" button on my door panel when I get out of the car. I have to manually insert my key and wiggle it every time to lock it up. Does anybody have an easy answer for that one? :eek:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW's make difficult the most common method of locking one's keys in the car by eliminating the function of the driver's door locking while open. Despite this, a few owners still find ways to lock their keys inside (the driver's door locks when closed, so closing the locks manually, or with a remote, or from another door's buttons with the keys inside - or then putting them inside, will do it).

For many years I never understood how so many other car owners locked themselves out- until (after helping dozens get back into their cars through various methods), I realized you can just get out, push a button or depress the door lock pins, and be locked out in seconds. As a lifelong VW owner, I've never been locked out due to the system VW uses.

As for the difference in time and effort between hitting the button and inserting and turning key, I guess we all have a different sense of these things!

For your '97 Passat, you should have at least one remote that allows you to lock up without using the key.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
In a b4 you can just push down on the button on the drivers door and it will lock all 4 just not arm the alarm (if you have one) or pull a white plastic convenience module from a mk3 and retrofit a fob to your car. Mine has a fob now and now even pops the trunk from the fob