Transmission swap to standard

cberry

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi all,
I recently purchased a 2006 Jetta TDI and I love it. But the automatic transmission is throwing flags. Gonna cost over 4Gs. Stumbled across a 2006 Jetta with electrical issues and no title. Don't think it's a TDI but it has the standard transmission. Have a reputable VW mechanic that can install the transmission and everything else needed from the donor car. His cost and the cost of the car are a bit over half of the cost of a remanufactured auto. I love the idea of the standard. The mechanic said I needed to come to this forum and ask what issues may arise in the change over. I'm concerned about the computer and electronics. I've looked around the forum but havent seen anything concerning this transmission change over. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
what are the errors from the transmission? Do you have a VCDS report pulled on it?

The mechatronics unit can be swapped or your existing one repaired (DIY or send out) the clutch packs can be swapped Parts ($500 to $800 - plus fluid and filter). The DSG isnt that bad (I have both manual and DSG in my driveway).

cberry

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thank you both JETaah and kbaisley. I apologize for not replying sooner. My jetta is currently out of town at a friends. Hope to have it back in a week or two. Will take it straight to a local VW shop and have it properly diagnosed. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. I apologize for not replying sooner. Three vehicles all needing repairs, an ex-wife, aaaand a teenage daughter.