www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 18th, 2017, 21:44   #16
vwztips
Veteran Member

One other thing, where did you get the crank sensor? Someone else recently replaced theirs and the replacement was bad.

Also did you compare the new sensor to the old one. Some are shorter than others. I think the 1.8t is shorter. It is possible you got the wrong one. Remove the new one and compare to the old one, before you do a bunch of diagnostics. Usually it is the simple stuff.......
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 21:55   #17
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Small comfort, but just so's you know the oil pressure alarm is normal... the car expects the engine to start and establish oil pressure after a short period of cranking (with little or no low oil pressure) and when it doesn't car complains.

Not related to your problem, but not something new to worry about, either.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.

Last edited by Vince Waldon; March 18th, 2017 at 21:59.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 22:50   #18
m.walter

Thanks everyone. I had though oil pressure alarm might be "normal" in this situation, but it is good to hear from someone who knows.

I got the sensor here: http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/0...375-V9462.aspx (great price). It is supposed to be OEM, and from the packaging it looks that way. I did not compare the lengths. That is a good point; I will do it. Overall it looked the same. It did occur to me that the sensor could be bad. I think that the 488 ohms that I measured is in the right range for a 3-wire CKPS (I've been googling this like crazy).

From external appearances, the rest of the wiring was not disturbed and I can't think of why anything else would go bad in the wiring. If I was to look for a signal while cranking, I'm assuming it would be a voltage. Where should I tap into it? I have access to a research-grade oscilloscope, but this seems like overkill. Would a better scanner (https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/) make it apparent what is going on?

I keep coming back to the missing swoosh sound from the fuel system. Then again, perhaps more importantly, I am also still missing any tachometer movement while cranking. I've never looked at RPM while cranking. I'm assuming it should show something? If not, then I might need to start looking at the fuel system?
m.walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 21:20   #19
m.walter

I figured I would see if fuel is being pushed in. Big mistake. I thought I could just look at what was coming out at the filter. In the process I broke T-connector at the fuel filter. Now I need to wait for that part. In the process, I did see that fuel is moving when the key is put in the on position.

With nothing else to try, I took off the new CKPS that I installed to take a closer look. The barrels are identical, even down to the o-ring color. The first picture shows this. The top one is the new one. However, look closer and you can see that the emblem was scratched off with some kind of rotary tool. In addition, the flange with bolt hole looks different and is not flat. The second picture _attempts_ to show what happens when you butt them together flange-to-flange. The new one comes up about 1mm short because the flange is not flat. I gotta assume this is my problem. I'm calling the parts supplier first thing tomorrow, and I'll be looking for answers.

Any suggestions on where I can get a good CKPS quickly and without costing an arm and a leg? I'm in Southern California.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...911-01&cat=all

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...028-02&cat=all

Last edited by m.walter; March 19th, 2017 at 21:48. Reason: fixed image links
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:00   #20
vwztips
Veteran Member

Not sure that is significant enough to cause an issue. However what brand of sensor are you using?

You can call Aaron at Cascade (Bora). He probably has a vendor in SCal that can get you one in a day or 2.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:09   #21
m.walter

Thanks. I was just talking to a different vendor who thought that the difference in length was also not significant enough to fix it. I will also call Cascade. At this point I have to try another one. I don't know what else to do.

This is what it says on the website:
Volkswagen O.E.M Crankshaft Sensor is currently In stock and ready to ship. This O.E.M Crankshaft Sensor is manufactured by O.E.M. Part number for this O.E.M Crankshaft Sensor is 038907319E
Manufacturer: O.E.M.

My original part has an Audi/VW symbol. On the new one the emblem/manufacturer on the part was clearly removed with a dremel-type tool. I was told that they have to do that when they sell O.E.M. parts.
Old March 20th, 2017, 17:56   #22
Dieselmonkey02
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta
Fuel Economy: 48-50 avg. 44 lowest 51.5 highest

I don't see why they would have to damage a part to sell it. That alone seems shady to me.
Dieselmonkey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 18:38   #23
m.walter

Success!

So the gap was the difference. However ... the gap was my fault. I was relying on the bolt to seat the 0-ring. Turns out that it was deforming the sensor flange. I straightened the flange, used a small persuader to push the sensor in all the way, and voila, started on the first turn.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the patience with my long drawn out explanations. Sorry that it was such a dumb mistake on my part. I am inspired to fix some other things. One is that sooty ASV and Emissions Workshop (currently not on). I also suspect that the turbo is not working right (very sluggish). Fuel economy is way too low, even for SoCal city driving. I get this loud gurgling sound with acceleration. I'll be starting some new threads after I give everyone a break.

But first, if I am going to diagnose things better, what would you all recommend for a scanner. Is VCDS and https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/ best for my situation? Other suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
Old March 21st, 2017, 19:58   #24
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.walter View Post
Success!

So the gap was the difference. However ... the gap was my fault. I was relying on the bolt to seat the 0-ring. Turns out that it was deforming the sensor flange. I straightened the flange, used a small persuader to push the sensor in all the way, and voila, started on the first turn.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the patience with my long drawn out explanations. Sorry that it was such a dumb mistake on my part. I am inspired to fix some other things. One is that sooty ASV and Emissions Workshop (currently not on). I also suspect that the turbo is not working right (very sluggish). Fuel economy is way too low, even for SoCal city driving. I get this loud gurgling sound with acceleration. I'll be starting some new threads after I give everyone a break.

But first, if I am going to diagnose things better, what would you all recommend for a scanner. Is VCDS and https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/ best for my situation? Other suggestions?

Thanks everyone!
Not only is the scanner great, but the support you get from them if you buy genuine is great. Of course if you but pirated stuff, Ewe has no trouble telling you to stuff it. And he isnt soft and nice about it either.
See a doctor and get rid of it. - Navin Johnson.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote