EGR Canada

Delsilver

TDI
97 Jetta
I have searched on here and the web looking for information on Canadian EGR.
I cant locate one on my 97 and am trying to find out if they did not come on Canadian models or if mine has been deleted.
on the top of my intake manifold there is a 90 deg cast elbow with a 90 deg hose going to the turbo.
Also the hose going from the airbox to the turbo has a small diameter hose that goes to the CCV on the valve cover. There is a sensor in this hose with the wires clipped off, what is the sensor for.
I have not checked for codes yet buy my CEL is not on.
I am looking for a Bentley manual but don't have yet.
Can anyone educate me on this.
Thanks in advance
Del

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you post up a picture of your engine we can determine whether or not it has the same EGR setup as the US models, which it should if it's a tdi.

Steve

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The sensor thingie on the CCV valve hose is actually just a little heater to keep that line from frosting shut with condensation. Not monitored by the ECU.

Delsilver

TDI
97 Jetta
Have done a little more research and it appears I have an AAZ engine which was a Canada only option.
The pictures i have found of the AAZ have the same setup as is on mine.
Does this clarify my EGR question
Thanks
Del

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Have done a little more research and it appears I have an AAZ engine which was a Canada only option.
The pictures i have found of the AAZ have the same setup as is on mine.
Does this clarify my EGR question
Thanks
Del
That's what I suspected when you mentioned that you couldn't find the EGR.

Still post up some pictures when you can.

Steve

Delsilver

TDI
97 Jetta
okay i tried to attach some pictures but it won't let me. i have only been a member for a short time is there a waiting period before you can do attachments
Del

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
If it is a 1997 someone has replace the engine with an AAZ. You can see in one pic it has a throttle cable to the injection pump.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, that looks like the standard Canadian Jetta AAZ engine, no EGR.

The AAZ engine in the Canadian Passat got an EGR in 1996ish, if memory serves, but I dunno that they ever put that engine in the Jetta/Golf platform.

By 1998 they moved forward to the first version of the TDI.

OP: Is there a specific reason you are hunting for an EGR, or just general interest?

Delsilver

TDI
97 Jetta
I had read about the carbon buildup and was checking for that but realized there is no EGR on my engine.
Just trying to familiarize myself with this car which I am using as a commuter.
Just to be clear is this the standard engine or has it been transplanted in the past, I have only owned the car a couple weeks.
Runs great, good fuel economy, right around 48 MPG or 5.8lt/100km.
Trans is strong without the reverse problems I have seen talked about and doesn't pop out of fifth.
Starts good with the start lever, a little slow starting without if stone cold.
Thanks for the help
Del

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I believe you could still stumble across an AAZ in 97, but I think the AHU was also available then too. Canada often gets the automotive leftovers as our market is relatively small. There is likely a sticker under the carpet in your trunk which will specify what engine the car came with among other things.

If the gauges all work (tach in particular) and it has an operable cold start handle it's unlikely that it was swapped in.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it is a 1997 someone has replace the engine with an AAZ.
Could be, although I'm pretty sure there were still AAZ Jettas being made for Canada in 1997, and if someone did a swap they went to a lot of work...adding a pedal cluster with throttle cable, installing the cold start handle and cable, swapping out the cluster so that the tach runs off the alternator, etc etc etc.

Either way... OP's got an AAZ that sounds like it's running well... she's a keeper!

The one big thing to watch on the AAZ engine is the crank sprocket... the bolt can work loose if not properly installed and deform the sprocket, at which point the timing starts to wander enough that eventually valves meet pistons.

The sign to look for is noticeable side-to-side wobble on the harmonic balancer.. the big pulley on the crank sprocket that drives the serpentine belt and the alternator. You can eyeball it from the engine compartment with the engine idling.

https://youtu.be/uAl_8GwCLXw

If you plan to keep this car for years and years installing a clutched pulley on the alternator is a good preventitive step worth considering that takes a lot of stress off the crank sprocket. VW added a clutched pulley in the next generation engine, along with an improved sprocket/crank nose design. Lots of grenaded AAZs over the years. :eek::D

Last edited:

Delsilver

TDI
97 Jetta
I really appreciate all the help and advice. Yes everything works in the gauge cluster including the tach and the cold start definitely makes a difference. I will be checking out the balancer / pulley in daylight. One thread i read on the pulley indicated that some of the last AAZ's came with the crank modification.
Again thanks for all the help
Del

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
AAZ and AHU (or 1Z) both were available in Canada on Mk3 in 1997. Why they did this IDK, it's created a lot of confusion because a car being 'diesel' can mean two different things for this one year. With the TDI available IDK why anyone would have ordered the AAZ TBH.

Steve

Delsilver

TDI
97 Jetta
Checked for a tag in the trunk and sure enough it is there on top of an inspection cover which i believe accesses the fuel tank/ fuel pump.
It is in fact an AAZ from the factory. Just guessing here but i wonder if the AAZ was in the early model year and the TDI's later rather than an option.
Are there any other pros or cons to the AAZ.
I realize it is lower power but what is there is more than enough for the way i drive.
I like the idea that there is no ECU, less to go wrong and my intake manifold is nice and clean without the EGR.
No wobble in the crank pulley.
Del

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Fuel economy and power is a bit better with the TDI. The AAZ wins on simplicity - no limp mode, no CEL, no QA in the pump, just a simple reliable engine (as long as the crank nose is kept healthy!).

Getting injectors serviced for an AAZ is a little tricky. Not sure if anyone but Gilles really does them in North America.

The AAZ can be turned up a fair bit without needing to buy anything btw. There's a max fuel screw which can be cranked up till you start getting smoke and then back it down a tad, that'll wake up the engine a bit. If you search in http://vwdiesel.net for "Gov Mod" you'll find another reasonably straight forward bit of tuning that'll extend the usable RPM range from 3500 to more like 4800-5000. That helps a lot too!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
You have the beauty of one wire, to make the engine run. Pure simplicity.

-Todd

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I was talking to a friend of mine last night who is considering swapping a TDI in a Vanagon. I was telling him how much I like the AAZ just for the simplicity of no electronics required. Seems like I saw a video not too long back of someone who swapped a Bosch VE pump from a Cummins 4BT onto their TDI engine, but can't seem to find it now.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Hybrid, Cummings, Rover pump, etc.... commonly referred to as M-TDI. I planned on going this route on my project, but ultimately decided to go E. Not sure why I decided to go that route...

Engine bay would be a whole lot cleaner without the associated E wiring and sensors.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yeah, the M conversions are really attractive for that reason. In fact some of the more apocalyptic mindset love the M conversion stuff because you can literally bump start a tdi with a good 9 volt battery albeit without headlights.

And Todd is right, the engine bay would be a whole lot cleaner and simpler without the E conversion wiring mucking up the works.

Only reason I went with E conversion on my B3V was because if it got sold to someone it was a lot easier to explain how it was built and where the parts / components came from. Also, I wanted more exposure to working with the electrical system so I forced myself to work with a complete OE system integration so that I could draw on that for later conversion stuff if I wanted to.

I still remember my Fox diesel conversion though, that was simple, old circuit 15 wire moved from coil to IP fuel solenoid. Add wire to alternator for W terminal function, add wiring harness for pre-glow and that was about it. Completely gutted and thew out the original Bosch ECU and related wiring.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I built my AHU as a mechanical engine purely because I was putting it in to an AAZ body. I'm about to yank it out and put it in to another AAZ body... Everything stays stock - tach fed by the alternator, AAZ glow plug controller, absolutely no wiring changes....

There's actually a little bit of electronics I'll be removing from my B3 when I do the swap - it has a vacuum solenoid which bumps the idle speed when the glow plugs are on. I do have an AAZ pump top I could swap on to my Rover pump if I decide I really need to have that feature but that's a whole bunch of messing around...