Ok you Oregonians...where to go?

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
In August I plan on taking a drive up the Oregon coast for 7 days. Strictly a low budget trip. I'll be pitching a tent and doing some fishing.

I'm looking for suggestions for things to do, nice places to camp. Any secret local spots would be great to know. I'ld like to avoid the big tourist areas. I will eventually get to Portland. I also would love to check out local quality live music and brews.

zebrajeb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Silver, AT
Hey, I'd like to here some suggestions as well. I'm not going to the GTG in August, but will be spending 7-14 July in Oregon. Have a couple of days of meetings but plan to make a pretty big loop around the state seeing the sights.

jmcrrr

TDI
Jetta 2000 Black
Great swimming hole just West of Sweet Home, Oregon on the Calapooia River. It's free, but get there by 10:30 a.m. or so because some of the locals finally wake up and cash their government checks and show up to drink around 4:00 p.m. or so. Go N on I-5 past Eugene, OR, turn E on Hwy 228 and watch for a state park/picnic area around 8 or 9 miles or so. The swimming area is from there W for about a mile.

Then go over to Florence on the coast. Take Hwy 126 W out of Eugene. Head S out of Florence and rent a 4 wheeler and hit the dunes. It's worth the expense.

Or catch Silver Falls State Park East of Salem on Hwy 22 to Hwy 214 E. You might get a tent site if you call ahead. A cool place...about the best state park in the state.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Crater Lake!

Mt. Hood! Timberline Lodge, year round skiing! Or worth the trip even if you're not skiing.

Portland: see a show at the Crystal Ballroom. It's a restored old ballroom from the early 1900's.. the wooden dance floor is mounted on springs so when you dance/jump/walk it bounces you back! Operated by the McMenamin brothers, famous for their microbrews. And if you miss that one there are about 824 other McMenamin's in town.
They also operate hostel-type accomidations if you need a place to sleep while in town. www.mcmenamins.com

Columbia Gorge, for sure. Multnomah Falls and Crown Point are an easy 30 minutes from Portland. A great day loop would be to drive east on US 26 up Mt Hood, take Ore 35 down the back side of the mountain to Hood River, back west up the gorge on I-84.