2002 tdi golf cranks but won't start

cfuzz987

TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
a little history first. The engine was rebuilt at approximately 175K.
TB flew off and everything but the short block was rebuilt by Everything Euro in Winston Salem, NC. I say that to say i do not think this is TB related. could be but unlikely. Car now has 195K
Up until Friday the car starts up instantly without hesitation every time. It has never given me any hint of trouble until that day. Simply cranks and cranks but will never fire.

New fuel filter at 175K

regular oil changes-it is due though

I checked the intake and the ASV its all clear, only the slightest build up.

I did not hook up a voltmeter/ohmeter to the 109 relay but I heard it double click when i turned the ignition. I also hear the fuel shut off clicking. I did check it with a meter and it gets its 12v

When i turn the key to on the GP light comes on for a few seconds and goes away and the Check engine light is on. If i try to turn over the engine the CEL goes away.

I have not tried to crack any fuel lines and I do not have a clear fuel line section going to the pump

and Yes i checked the fuses and they were good :) I am thinking that something electrical is to blame. I don't know enough about diesels and TDIs specifically to go much past what I've done with out some advice.

Thanks for all the write ups already done they were a big help!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think your next step would be to crack the fuel lines and make sure you are getting fuel. If you are and it still wont start then you will have to verify the static timing. Putting everything to TDC. If your not getting fuel to the injectors, you will need to determine if you are getting fuel as far as the pump.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I think your next step would be to crack the fuel lines and make sure you are getting fuel. If you are and it still wont start then you will have to verify the static timing. Putting everything to TDC. If your not getting fuel to the injectors, you will need to determine if you are getting fuel as far as the pump.
Well put.

It could still still be TB related so pop the cover off and take a peek to see if it's still tight first.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I had a no start problem for which I could not find an answer. The fuel cutoff solenoid appeared to function so I frustrated myself looking at other things, and to get that car back on the road I swapped the injection pump with a known good unit. I did end up checking, and while the solenoid clicked OK, on removing it I found the plunger was separated so that it never allowed fuel to inject.

Just something you need to check with a wrench rather than trusting a click that is heard or felt when you can't get fuel flow at the injectors.

Cheers,

PH

cfuzz987

TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
thanks guys for the replies they were a big help.

So I found that it was indeed my fuel pump leaking. I pushed some ATF through it and fuel started leaking(gushing really) out of the bottom....time for a rebuild yay....:/

Special thanks to Import Auto Werks out of Raleigh, NC for letting me to talk to them about it and putting up with my phone calls. They were a huge help!!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Yo know that a reseal is possible. While it doesn't give you a like new pump, it will run fine.