09, Limited Slip Differential

goldgary

TDI
2012 Passat 6M
I would like to know if my 09 TDI, 6 spd, Manual has a limited slip differential on the front drive wheels. Meaning.. does the right front wheel do all the work? or, if it senses slippage, does power switch to the left wheel.

My retired Maxima has a limited slip differential.

Thanks, Gary

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Modern VAG products have traction control, no need for LSD (although LSD is still better for track racing and such, IMHO).

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
goldgary said:
I would like to know if my 09 TDI, 6 spd, Manual has a limited slip differential on the front drive wheels. Meaning.. does the right front wheel do all the work? or, if it senses slippage, does power switch to the left wheel.

My retired Maxima has a limited slip differential.

Thanks, Gary
It has a conventional open differential. BUT. It has something called "electronic differential lock" as part of the Electronic Stability Program system.

If it detects that one of the front wheels is spinning abnormally fast relative to the other one, it applies the brake to that wheel, which causes the open diff to send an equivalent amount more torque to the other wheel that isn't spinning.

This system does not have the "performance" benefits of a "normal" limited-slip diff (nor was it intended to), but it does help some on slippery surfaces.

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
I'm curious to know how many other TDI owners have owned a 95-99 Maxima and/or 88-92 Mazda 626/MX6/Probe. I know I'm not the only one. I'm building a thesis that these the natural progression of frugality, performance, and efficiency has led many to follow this path.