Two leaks found on my TDI, need help with finding solution (pics included)

ocelot

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat TDi
The first is the most troubling, I believe it's on the fuel pump. There is a gasket that is leaking, which in turn is leaking diesel on coolant lines below. Rubber doesn't like diesel, and I've had to replace the coolant hose twice now (it is a huge pain). At first I thought it was strange how the first coolant hose lasted 170,000 miles, and then the brand new one I replaced it with only lasted 1,000. This is the culprit:

I looked up how to take it apart in the Bentley manual and the gasket seems like it'll be pretty simple to replace. There are only four screws holding the cover, is there anything special that I need to know about removing this thing? None of the screws had any specific torque requirements in the Bentley manual. Also, where can I buy a gasket like this?

---

Second leak. I don't know what this is, I found the pipe in the Bentley manual and it labeled it as "crankcase breather element." Here is a picture:

At the bottom of it:

By the way it feels, I'm pretty sure that this is leaking oil. Is this another gasket issue? How should I repair it?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had these issues with this engine. The car is '96 model year.

TIA

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Both are common leak areas on the A3/B4 cars.

The J tube is easy to replace. Just need the part and a hex key. 10 minutes.

Top gasket of the injection pump is also easy. Lots of absorbent rags around the IP. Pop the top off, replace the gasket, pop the top back on. Spray everything off with spray brake cleaner.

While you're in there, replace the fuel temp sensor to prevent future problems.

Unfortunately, you need the metalnerd socket to remove the triangular screw. Kits and socket available at dieselgeek.com.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/Categories.bok?category=TDI+Injection+Pump

http://worldimpex.com/search_by_partno.html?searchmode=partno&partno=028103491j&x=30&y=7

Last edited:

ocelot

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat TDi
paramedick said:
Both are common leak areas on the A3/B4 cars.

The J tube is easy to replace. Just need the part and a hex key. 10 minutes.

Top gasket of the injection pump is also easy. Lots of absorbent rags around the IP. Pop the top off, replace the gasket, pop the top back on. Spray everything off with spray brake cleaner.

While you're in there, replace the fuel temp sensor to prevent future problems.

Unfortunately, you need the metalnerd socket to remove the triangular screw. Kits and socket available at dieselgeek.com.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/Categories.bok?category=TDI+Injection+Pump

http://worldimpex.com/search_by_partno.html?searchmode=partno&partno=028103491j&x=30&y=7
Thanks a lot for the info. The only problem is that I need to find where to buy a gasket. I just went to the VW dealership and they told me that they don't sell that... AA Parts doesn't sell it either.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Crankcase ventilation. See the round black disk? Oil vapor comes out of the motor, the oil condenses and drains back to the crankcase via the tub.

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
Your second link is for the top gasket, they should also have the fuel temp sensor at dieselgeek easy jobs as paramedick stated:)

ocelot

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat TDi
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
Some flavor of rubber. It looks like a molded O ring with stubs on it to hold it in place during assembly.
In my experience, diesel completely destroys rubber. Is it some sort of special compound?

ocelot

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat TDi
paramedick said:
JFC, it's viton. It says that clearly on the link for Dieselgeek.
Didn't know that was a material. Thanks for the help, I would've been screwed without it.