Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The Seaway Pipeline reversal is ready, and the first oil will start flowing this weekend from Cushing to the Texas Gulf Coast.

But, it will only be 150,000 barrels a day to start, well below the maximum capacity of 400,000 barrels.
It will take two weeks for the first oil to arrive on the Texas Gulf Coast from Cushing, a distance of about 480 miles. So the oil flows about 1.4 miles per hour.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
paid $3.67 for D2 and B5 was $3.79 down the road.

Locnar

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT
I saw $3.75 at an Irving station on Rte 3 in Hooksett, NH. Lowest I've seen in the area. Too bad I filled up already and paid $3.99 at my regular Irving station in Bedford a few hours before I saw it. :(

KeithinKY

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Here in Louisville at Costco rug 3.61 and the cheaper diesel is 3.85

That is about a 6.7% diff with diesel having 25-35 % more energy per gallon.

If use 30%, I'm still up by +/- 23.3%.

Diesel would have to go up over a buck per for a "break-even".

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Saw a 3.61 diesel and a 3.13 rug(10% ethanol) in Tulsa couple hours ago. Unfortunately I was still on the first 1/4 of a 3.23 fillup in Yukon, mumble mumble. I drove past Cushing on the way over last evening...saw nothing sinister, heard no rumbling of slow-moving petroleum.

Masonjar

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GL
Past few weeks my favourite station has had diesel at $1.199/litre. Most other places are at$1.239 or higher.

Andrew

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
What has caused this slight shift in diesel prices?
Globally, crude prices are down, I think because Iranian crude is piling up in tankers because so many countries won't allow it to be imported and won't allow their banks to transfer funds to Iran.

As for market conditions in California... it's a unique situation and you'll have to research that yourself.

javagirl

TDI
2004 Passat TDI Auto Trans with Tiptronic, 2012 Jetta TDI Premium ManTrans
$3.75/gallon in central NJ

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Bethany, OK. 39th & MacArthur, on the way home after church/lunch yesterday. My lizard brain automatically started prepping for an abrupt lane change, but the wife's voice snapped me out of it..."You still have 3/4 of a tank, down boy!"

Dangit...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Still $3.67 for D2 and $3.35 for rug in Ft Mill, SC

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Saw $3.599 for diesel in Mobile, AL the other day; it's down to $3.799 here in Foley finally. Earlier this week I spied one of the Entec stations in Mongomery, AL for $3.699. It's really quality fuel and I regret not searching for their prices on GasBuddy before passing through The Gump, it would have saved me money and been better fuel than the BP stuff I got in Birmingham for $3.799 on Wednesday.

The way gas has crashed in the SE, though, these falling diesel prices still pale compared to regular, which is down to $3.209 in some spots. Just when gas and diesel were getting close to parity, price wise, gas fell like a rock. :eek:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The local Hess had RUG at $3.41 and D at $3.69.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have been a dedicated Chevron fuel user for years, due to their top-tier quality rankings, even though they are among the most expensive in Los Angeles. Their diesel has been consistently running at $4.69. Within a 2 block stretch there is also an Arco selling D2 @ $4.39, and two Shell stations, one RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the Chevron with D2 @ $4.19, another a block away right off the freeway @ $4.29. HPFP paranoa has kept me loyal to Chevron, but I finally had to try the Shell and save $7 a tank. BTW, I also religiously use Diesel Kleen every tankful. I will be keeping an eye on my mileage to see if there is any change. I recall seeing that Shell Diesel was of a somewhat lower cetane nationally that Chevron, but not by a huge amount. Anyone care to tell me why such a huge difference in $$$ and if I am safe with this fuel + additive?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone care to tell me why such a huge difference in $$$ and if I am safe with this fuel + additive?
CARB diesel is all pretty good quality, though the additives are different for each retail chain. With DieselKleen you are safe using any diesel sold in California. When I lived there, I always tried to buy from the cheapest stations I could find, and (knock on wood) my original injection pump is still working fine after 372k miles. About 275k of those miles were accumulated in California.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Gas and diesel have come down a bit around here. Gas is now running about $3.65-3.69 at many stations while diesel is ranging around $3.79 at many stations.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
I myself always use Shell and tanked up at $3.99/Gallon with my Ralphs card. I've found that Chevron was always much higher in price here in Southern California. I've seen an Arco station advertise for $3.89/Gallon which is the lowest I've seen yet. I took a trip up towards Northern Calfornia over the holidays and found that Chevron was cheaper and Shell was more expensive.

6910sb

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Dipping under $4 in many locations in San Diego.
Some examples:
Mobile: RUG - $4.25 / D $3.95.
Chevron: RUG - $4.29 / D $4.09
Arco: RUG - $4.25 / D $3.29

JettersTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Lowest I've seen in SoCal is 3.89 for D2 compared to RUG@ 4.15 at 76 station in LA county. This makes owning a TDi even more ideal.

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Pretty amazing, WTI crude has dropped 20% (from $107 to $87) and yet D2 and RUG have barely budged around here. I understand that it takes awhile for oil to be refined and put on the market but this is getting old. I predict that there will a hurricane/world event in the coming weeks that will send the price of crude right back up which means that every one but the end users (consumers) will see huge profits as they have been buying oil on the cheap for the last 2 months while the price of fuel has been static. D2 has been at $3.79 for at least 2 months here while RUG recently dropped a nickle to $3.59.

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Irving Station, Westminster Rte.2. $3.779 but I got it today for $3.679 thanks to the Irving rewards card.:D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pretty amazing, WTI crude has dropped 20% (from $107 to $87) and yet D2 and RUG have barely budged around here. I understand that it takes awhile for oil to be refined and put on the market but this is getting old.
Three points. One, the price at the pump includes state and federal taxes, which are still 100% of the level they were at before crude prices dropped.

Second, I don't think any fuel in Wisconsin is refined from WTI crude.

Third, if you were only paying $3.79 for the last two months, while it was $3.99 or even higher across the border in Minnesota, then it only makes sense that there would be some kind of convergence. Only in the last couple weeks have diesel prices here dropped into the $3.80s and now into the $3.70s at some stations.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You also have to remember that the prices at the pump come down much slower than they went up.