White Stuff on electrical connector?

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
I was adding WW fluid and noticed this white stuff on an electrical connector near firewall, near the top on passenger side. Too much trouble to try to post a pic. I first thought it was a wasp's nest building up. Can't imagine the purpose but I am not going to try to figure out the German engineer mindset. Sorry about the non-pic.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Your info says that you have a 2012 JSW, but you're posting in the MK VII forum. If you are talking about a 2015, you have a leaking DEF injector.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Try using the Tapatalk app on a phone, it makes posting pictures very easy.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Yes, that’s it. My buildup covers up the metal canister. Due an oil change in 700 miles I hope they’ll check it out. Only have 13,300 miles. Haven’t scheduled the phase 2, yet. I’m in the wrong group but I have the same motor as the mkvii I think. Thanks.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Sorry, I thought I changed my vehicles. I have a 2015 Jetta Tdi I bought new a year ago. I am on an iPad and can’t find the buttons to edit my profile. Thanks.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Yes, that’s it. My buildup covers up the metal canister. Due an oil change in 700 miles I hope they’ll check it out. Only have 13,300 miles. Haven’t scheduled the phase 2, yet. I’m in the wrong group but I have the same motor as the mkvii I think. Thanks.
More than a few folks have had this problem. It is covered under the extended emissions warranty. I'd give the dealer a call and tell them, so they can have the parts and replace it when they do the oil change. Good luck!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Sorry, I thought I changed my vehicles. I have a 2015 Jetta Tdi I bought new a year ago. I am on an iPad and can’t find the buttons to edit my profile. Thanks.
Click on "User CP", then "Edit Your Details".

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
So what is the canister? What’s the leaking fluid?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
thats the DEF injector into the Oxide catalysis, its leaking adblue, when it dries it crystallizes.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are other SCR diesels that have had this problem, too. Seems to be pretty common. My suspicion is the same basic construction is used on all of them, regardless of vehicle manufacture, and therefor they have a similar problem.

I would have thought that by now, SCR and DEF use would have ironed out most of these kinks, but it so far appears it has not.

Good news is, so long as it remains a tiny amount, it isn't likely to do any harm (and it rinses away easily with water... just do not do so while the engine is hot).

VAG does have a TSB about this, though, so maybe they actually HAVE figured out a solution to it... in this case, they say a revised supply line is the fix.

So at your earliest convenience, I'd take it in and let them look. You may want to call ahead and ask if they have the line in stock, and if so, arrange to drop your car off the night before, so it can be cold and they can fix it for you the next day.

2015 Jetta's line: 5C0-131-984-B

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
good to know, thanks for the insight

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
There are other SCR diesels that have had this problem, too. Seems to be pretty common. My suspicion is the same basic construction is used on all of them, regardless of vehicle manufacture, and therefor they have a similar problem.

I would have thought that by now, SCR and DEF use would have ironed out most of these kinks, but it so far appears it has not.

Good news is, so long as it remains a tiny amount, it isn't likely to do any harm (and it rinses away easily with water... just do not do so while the engine is hot).

VAG does have a TSB about this, though, so maybe they actually HAVE figured out a solution to it... in this case, they say a revised supply line is the fix.

So at your earliest convenience, I'd take it in and let them look. You may want to call ahead and ask if they have the line in stock, and if so, arrange to drop your car off the night before, so it can be cold and they can fix it for you the next day.

2015 Jetta's line: 5C0-131-984-B

It can't hurt to call ahead, but in my experience, most dealers gotta pull codes and do a visual inspection before they order any parts they don't have on the shelf. They are rather gun shy to order parts with out a work order started.

As always your mileage may vary.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a fairly new TSB, so unless they have already been installing these updated parts and know about them, they may not yet keep one on the shelf.

Right now there are so many updates and recalls on the CR TDIs that they (the dealers) are really having a tough time keeping track of it all. So all I can say is be patient and give them every opportunity to make it right.