Brief report re: LA auto show incl. Jetta wagons...

blue909

Veteran Member
Hi All,

Went to the LA autoshow for a few hours tonight... fortunately it wasn't too crowded (got there around 5pm) so my friend and I were able to cover the whole show incl. the aftermarket accessories area within a few hours.

At VW, there were 2 Jetta wagons, a blue VR6 and a (Reflex?) silver one. Of course, they were just like Jettas but with wagon backs.... looked like they'd have some more storage than the regular US Golf (hatch, not wagon as in Euro) but not TONS more room.

Not a one of the 3 VW ladies I spoke to knew a thing about VW now allowing TDIs in CA, and the area rep that was supposed to be in attendance wasn't. At least they knew what TDIs were (which is more than I can say about a few VW dealer salesmen I've met). One lady gave me an email addy for a VW guy in Colorado, but I'm not too optimistic about my chances of finding this car: http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/Forum7/HTML/000562.html anytime soon.

...while I was there, I sat in a VR6 GTI (I'd probably prefer the 1.8T) they had there... Rave Green metallic with a black leather interior. With the VR6 and options the car listed for about $24K. I imagine that with the 1.8T, one ought to be able to get it for about $21K after negotiating. At first the green metallic paint was annoying, but after only 15 or 20 minutes I sort of got used to it. The car had some nice VW alloys (added $400. and worth every penny) MUCH nicer than the regular alloys on the Golf/Jetta GLS. The car looked really nice (even with the funny green) and if it had a TDI engine, it'd be perfect. To be frank, if I've got to wait too many more months for a TDI from a local dealer at a decent price, or if I've gotta pay more than list AND travel to get one from another state, I might have to consider the 1.8T GTI... it seems pretty sweet. There are two reds, black, white and reflex silver for the GTI (too few colors IMHO, like the Golf/TDI).

There was a fair crowd at the VW stand.... not as much action as BMW but more folks than at most of the GM makes. If you're in LA and a car freak like me, it's worth the $8. admission.

blue909

blue909

Veteran Member
I expect that you'll be seeing a few on the road in the not-too-distant future... it IS a production car, not a concept/show car. It's basically the same exact vehicle that's sold in Europe as the Golf Wagon (do they call them Estates still over there) but with a Jetta hood and front-end (like some of those Bolf conversion pix we've seen) and a higher level of trim than is typically available on US Golfs (since VW places the Jetta "upmarket" compared to the Golf).

It looks like a very nice little wagon, tho' not quite a sexy as a properly dressed Passat wagon.

blue909

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Diesel Dollie and I went to the DC auto show the day after Christmas and the VW folks there didn't even know about the Jetta wagon. There were a lot of cars we had hoped to see that also were not at the show. We were very disappointed. We've decided that in January 2002 we are going to drive to Detroit for the "real" auto show.

Sacha

Veteran Member
And, let's not forget the Jetta-Wagon is built in Germany, not Mexico. So the colour options will be different(coulors available in Europe).

------------------
Y2K Jetta GLS TDI, Atl.Blue/Beige leather, Sunroof, bug deflector, Cd changer, 5 speed, drop-in K&N air filter, descreened(all of them), H&R springs(not installed yet), Solar guard tint with 35% fronts and 18% rear windows.

Chris

Veteran Member
'Just got back from the Detroit show (suppliers get in before the public does). Took a picture of the Jetta wagon. If anyone can remind me how to post pictures, I'll do it.

-Chris
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

------------------

Sprockets

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris:
'Just got back from the Detroit show (suppliers get in before the public does). Took a picture of the Jetta wagon. If anyone can remind me how to post pictures, I'll do it.

-Chris
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris:

Go to the TDI Club Image Server and register. Then, we'll activate your account and you can link to the stored pics on the Forums. To learn how to link to the pics, go here.

If you have any trouble, email me!

Land Duck

Veteran Member
Blue909, they are still called "estate cars" in England, though I think the older term "Shooting Breaks" has disappeared. Or was it "shooting Brakes". Why "Station" wagon? As in trains? Non-estates are called saloons still of course. A mystery. Just like disc-brake rotors - why not call them discs?

Eolair

Veteran Member
In Germany the Volkswagen wagons were always called "Variant" (since the times of the Squareback), but normally wagons are called "Kombi" here. In France wagons are called "Break". Dunno about the UK.

tommy37

Veteran Member
Land Duck--

I have read in a few places that the term "station wagon" was first used because such vehicles were intended for transporting people and luggage back and forth to, yes, train stations. I don't know when it was first used but I think it must have been in the early 1900's, when trains were still the most common way to travel intercity.

sprattyken

Veteran Member
TDI
Volvo V70 D5 Auto
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eolair:
In Germany the Volkswagen wagons were always called "Variant" (since the times of the Squareback), but normally wagons are called "Kombi" here. In France wagons are called "Break". Dunno about the UK.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the UK, just called "Estates"
Matt