www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:47   #1
dcplumer

Default 2010 JSW TDI real-world mpg

I picked up my new JSW (w/DSG) a couple of weeks ago, and I filled the tank for the first time this morning. I put in 13.117 gallons of diesel, and the odometer read 495. That gives me an mpg of 37.7 combined. My driving is probably 70/30 highway/city, so the real-world mpg isn't too far off the EPA estimate.

Note that I can't swear that the fuel tank was actually full to start, since I didn't fill it myself, but I have no reason to think it wasn't. On the contrary: the stated capacity is 14.5 gal., so I should have had over a gallon remaining, but the console indicated that I had a range of only 20 miles. The console may be telling me a little white lie for safety reasons.

My husband and I were probably driving a little more aggressively than normal, too, as we played with the new toy. The mpg will only get better!

Danielle
dcplumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:39   #2
chadwick

TDI(s): N/A

That's pretty close to what I'm getting so far, Danielle. I was driving mine pretty aggressively between Austin/Fredericksburg/Utopia/Houston all weekend and over two tanks I got 32.9 and 36.9 MPG.

Experimenting a bit on the freeway stretch back to Houston it looked like 38 MPG would be easy to get going 75 and 42 MPG at 65.
chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:56   #3
StaceyR

Default JSW mpg

Danielle - That's not too shabby for a first tank. The displayed "range" usually is conservative and should always factor in a reserve for those who find themselves near zero with no gas (and especially diesel) stations around.

Do you have the 17" Porto wheels on your JSW? I bet they subtract a couple MPG compared to the stock 16" (narrower & lighter) setup.
StaceyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:27   #4
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly
Exclamation Not Really Full to Start . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplumer
Note that I can't swear that the fuel tank was actually full to start, since I didn't fill it myself,
but
I have no reason to think it wasn't. On the contrary: the stated capacity is 14.5 gal., so I
should have had over a gallon remaining, but the console indicated that I had a range of
only 20 miles. The console may be telling me a little white lie for safety reasons.

My husband and I were probably driving a little more aggressively than normal, too,
as we played with the new toy. The mpg will only get better!

Danielle

Since you have fueled it yourself for the first time, you are indeed aware of
how much time it really does take to get it completely filled, are you not?
Doesn't diesel foam more than you expected?

Do you, in your wildest dreams, think that the peon at the agency took that
much time to really get your car completely filled? Of course he did not!

Also, that rated capacity is probably not enough, at least in many cars.
In other words, your car may take even more than the rated capacity and it not run out of fuel.
Our A***a took 21.03 gallons the other day without the warning
light coming on yet, but the capacity is only 18.9 gallons.
I have put as much as 22,7 gallons in it before without it running out first.

Since you now have filled it really full yourself, you can go from there with your F E testing.
If possible, always fill it at the same pump with the car in the same position each time.

Who is a nut for details? Please keep all of us posted!

Dynoed 12-01-12 211 HP, 386 ft/lb torque at the wheels.
View my MBZ E-320 CDI Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/E320
Compare our previous VW TDI JSW DSG Fuelly : http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/Jetta
Derrel H Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 12:31   #5
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Exclamation Agreed . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyR
Do you have the 17" Porto wheels on your JSW? I bet they subtract a
couple MPG compared to the stock 16" (narrower & lighter) setup.

Should be interesting! I will bet she has the stock 16 inchers.

Compare our previous VW TDI JSW DSG Fuelly : http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/Jetta
Old October 12th, 2009, 14:06   #6
tomo366
TDI Lifer

These cars don't even start to get broken in until around 20,000 miles and the mileage will continue to improve.
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 15:21   #7
dcplumer

Yes, I have the 17" Portos.

Derrel, thanks for the reminder about using the same pump consistently. As I tend to tell my students in XML classes, "it doesn't matter if you're wrong. As long as you're always wrong in the same way, we can fix it easily."

Like chadwick, the mileage gets better when I go a bit slower - 60 mph seems to be a sweet spot for me. The console's average trip mpg has told me that I'm getting as high as 45 mph when the commuting is good, but I don't believe it.
dcplumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 15:32   #8
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Smile Thanks . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcplumer
Yes, I have the 17" Portos.

Derrel, thanks for the reminder about using the same pump consistently.
As I tend to tell my students in XML classes, "it doesn't matter if you're wrong.
As long as you're always wrong in the same way, we can fix it easily."

Like chadwick, the mileage gets better when I go a bit slower - 60 mph seems to be
a sweet spot for me. The console's average trip mpg has told me that I'm getting
as high as 45 mph when the commuting is good, but I don't believe it.

Guess we will never know if those with the smaller narrower tires will get slightly
better F E. It is probably too small of a difference for the average owner to
be able to measure anyway.

As pointed out above, as the miles build and the new car gets
broken in, you'll most likely see a great deal of improvement.
Some people say that it takes upwards of 50K miles to get a TDI fully broken in.
Never had that many miles on mine to discover if that is the case or not.

Best way to figure your F E is the old fashioned way, using miles covered and
fuel actually consumed. Of course, those instant and average F E
readings are nice to view as one motors along, right?

So enjoy you new ride you lucky one!

Last edited by Derrel H Green; October 12th, 2009 at 15:34.
Old October 12th, 2009, 17:48   #9
ctmom

Default 31.5 city

I've got 17" wheels, DSG, and a lead foot. I drive 6 miles of stop and go city driving to get to work one way and I've been getting 31.5 mpg according to the computer. On a trip on back roads, got 38 (which included going through the city.) One night of highway driving, I averaged 46.
ctmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 06:43   #10
ptcflyer

I have around 1,600 miles on my Jetta 2010 SW.

I have been 80% Hwy miles... and keeping the pace a reasonable 65 MPH.

I am at 41.5 MPG on the display.
Calculated averaging right around 40.5 mpg by hand calculation.

Typical hwy trips of around 80 miles will show 46.8 mpg on the display.
ptcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:27   #11
hammersc

Chadwick

Thank you for posting mpg at 75 mph - that is good to know. All I hear is "well when I go 62 on the interstate I get 45 mpg". Well that speed will get me killed on I-95. 75 mph - 80 mph is the flow of traffic in my world. I still haven't heard but 1 report what mpg is at those speeds.
hammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:34   #12
chadwick

TDI(s): N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersc
Chadwick

Thank you for posting mpg at 75 mph - that is good to know. All I hear is "well when I go 62 on the interstate I get 45 mpg". Well that speed will get me killed on I-95. 75 mph - 80 mph is the flow of traffic in my world. I still haven't heard but 1 report what mpg is at those speeds.
yep, I think realistic speeds are pretty important. I've done the slow drivin' thing many times, but it's agonizing.

My Tahoe can get that 21 mpg figure when you drive 55, but that makes me want to poke my eyeballs out with a sharp stick, so instead I drive 75 or 80... in which case it drops down to its happy 16 mpg Not quite the same...
chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 13:10   #13
grek

I know this is the MK VI forum, and I have an '09 JSW, but I wanted to contribute my real world mileage. Fallbrook (North of San Diego) to Phoenix and back approx. 725 mi. at 75-80 mph with the A/C on I calc'd 39.5 mpg. My JSW just turned 9000 miles.
grek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 13:13   #14
Exmasonite

Just wanted to chime in some similar info (i have an '09 JSW but figure it's pretty close):

I usually go 85/15 hwy/city in michigan (pretty flat) and was cruising 75-80 after my break in. I was consistently averaging ~40 mpg.

Over the last 2 tanks, i've been taking conscious efforts to stay in 65-70 MPH (giving myself 10-15 min on my commute) and my MPG has jumped to 42.5-43.

I'm only at ~ 11K total miles so engine is still breaking in.

also, not sure if somebody mentioned but be sure to check your MPG manually based on miles travelled and gallons taken. the MFD's accuracy just isn't that precise.
Exmasonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 16:53   #15
sjones

I have a 2009 JSW TDI I purchased at the end of November 2008. I just had the 10K service done and have a little over 11,500 on the odo (I changed the oil and filter myself @ 5K as I felt waiting for VW to do it @ 10K was way too long for a new motor). My driving is about 75/25 city/hwy with very little idling at lights. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and the roads are very flat for the most part. I drive about 25 miles round trip to work and back each day. My first tank got me almost 37 mpg, but since then the mileage has gradually decreased to a 33.75 mpg average regardless of how I drive it. Of course, it is still 93 degF outside here and I use the a/c pretty much all the time which I'm sure has an effect. On the highway, I get right @ 40 mpg @ 70 mph but I have gotten 50 mpg @ a steady 55. I seriously doubt the engine has broken in at all since it takes a LONG time to break in running high grade synthetic oil; in fact, I'm a firm believer that you should break a motor in using dino oil and then make the switch. The rings will seat a LOT faster that way. While I would love to see higher mileage, I think this is realistic for the JSW with greater exterior wind drag due partly to greater surface area and the roof rack rails. We'll have to wait and see. I do know the MFD is always WAY overly optimistic, especially in lots of short city trips per tank of fuel.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote