A/C compressor troubleshooting quick help

FloridaMutt

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 GL Manual Jetta Wagon
Hi All,

My 2004 MK4 wagon's A/C started blowing warm last week. Using other posts I have found that my large fan had quit working, and replaced it. Both now run on low with the key in the ignition and A/C button pressed.

I also found that the compressor's clutch is not engaging. Yesterday, I turned on the car, had the A/C turned on at maximum and measured the voltage getting to it (I unplugged it and measured at the car side plug- in case that matters).The voltage appeared to vary, it would hang out around 7 volts for a few seconds then spike to 10 volts, and come back to 7, etc, etc, etc. Is that normal? Shouldn't it just be 12 volts?

I didn't know enough yesterday to check the resistance of the clutch coil, I hope to do that tonight, and also apply 12 v directly to it and see if I can engage it.

Any other help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The clutch coil is bad. The FCM does not apply full voltage to it, it only needs a "spike" to get it to engage, then less to hold it there. Current ramping.

Make sure the compressor is not locked up or the clutch is smoked, though, as many times that cooks the coil, and the root problem is elsewhere. In many cases, the compressor got overworked because of a non-operating cooling fan.

Pet peeve: A/C systems (in a car) cannot "blow hot air". :p They can cool the air, or not cool the air. Just something those of us in the industry chuckle about, because there can be a very distinct issue that could be a blend door stuck on warm, in which case you will get warm air, no matter what the A/C system is able to do.

FloridaMutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you oilhammer, you are right but I wrote that in the office, in a sweaty workshirt after a Florida spring morning drive...that was warm air :)

And BTW, I am able to turn the compressor by hand. I confirmed no resistance on the coil and no response to applied 12V. I ordered a replacement.

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
My kid's AC just quit and I suspect the coil as well; just waiting for it to cool off enough to not smoke my legs when I take the belly pan off.

FloridaMutt

Veteran Member
TDI
So, I ordered the coil, $27 from amazon (could not find it anywhere else but ebay)... replaced it yesterday and now I have A/C!!!!!

The clutch holding wrench they rent at the auto-parts didn't work. I was able to use the impact wrench and it took care of the nut without needing to hold it.

ger164

TDI
jetta tdi 2003 wagon
Thanks

This is definately 1 part of my problem. My clutch coil has an open circuit also. I shall also look for a clutch coil on line and if anyone has a link to the replacement procedure for this I would appreciate it.. Again, thanks all.. much appreciated. Found a very helpful thread that I will use to consider my next moves.. Here is the link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318248

Last edited:

FloridaMutt

Veteran Member
TDI
This is definately 1 part of my problem. My clutch coil has an open circuit also. I shall also look for a clutch coil on line and if anyone has a link to the replacement procedure for this I would appreciate it.. Again, thanks all.. much appreciated. Found a very helpful thread that I will use to consider my next moves.. Here is the link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=318248

Check this video, it helped me visualize what I needed to do before actually doing it.
https://youtu.be/x7PHH5a8JK8

ger164

TDI
jetta tdi 2003 wagon
Very helpful FloridaMutt.. thanks kindly.. Time to muster up some Youtube university courage... cheers..

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Pet peeve: A/C systems (in a car) cannot "blow hot air". :p They can cool the air, or not cool the air. Just something those of us in the industry chuckle about, because there can be a very distinct issue that could be a blend door stuck on warm, in which case you will get warm air, no matter what the A/C system is able to do.
What temperature air blows through the condenser? :D
Testicly, couldn't the system (car or home) be used for heat?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
That depends on what is part of the "system". If it includes the air handler, you know the heater core is in there ;)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
DanG144'sa thread (sticky) covers the AC pretty complete and was written with your car as a basis.