Just bought a 2002 Jetta TDI for cheap. Trying to bring it to life. Fuel pressure.

jlester777

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Hello All,
I just picked up a non-working 2002 Jetta TDI for a great deal, I hope!
1st problem it will not hold fuel pressure, so will not start.
I cranked on it for minutes and pumped the gas pedal and finally got it to start. Took it up and down the road a few miles and it ran great, smooth and had no problem, turbo was working, shifted good.
Parked it in the garage and started inspecting it over right off the bat I noticed the fuel pump was loose, inspected it more and realized there are no bolts holding the fuel pump at all. The only thing holding it on is the sprocket attached to the timing belt!
Is there any way to install the fuel pump bolt without taking the timing belt off?
I think this is the first thing I need to work on for sure. If the fuel pump is not secured will it cause the fuel pressure not holding, or maybe the fuel is holding and the reason why its hard starting is cause of the fuel pump.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
It's a good time to learn how to replace a timing belt and all the related components because that's what you need to do. Yes, that is why it's hard starting. Not to say there aren't other issues but you may as well start with the obvious.

I'd suggest not trying to start it again unless you also are interested in learning how to rebuild an engine.

A lottery ticket is also in order.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You can install the three pump mount bolts through the sprocket. Hard to believe they're not there and if they fell out no damage was done.

The originals were likely single use bolts. Maybe they all lost their heads?

There's another bolt beneath the injector line, or should be. That may be what kept it together along with the fuel pipes.

I agree with burn though. With this kind of history a new belt and associated parts should be your first step.

Read timing belt how-to on this site.

jlester777

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Thanks for the help. I was told that the timing belt was replaced 5 years ago from the previous owner but they had no idea on how many miles were on it when it was changed. Currently has 191,000 miles on it. I guess your right a new timing belt is in order. The bolt under the lines is missing also, Any ideas on were to get the bolts I need and should I replace the pump?

Last edited:

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
No need to replace the pump. Bolts are available at the dealer or used. I'm not sure if they are one time use or not.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
With no idea of timing belt history, I would replace the belt and related components immediately. A good belt kit from one of the reputable supporting vendors on this site will include the bolts you seem to lack.

These belts get changed every 100k or about 5 years so the age of the existing belt is right about at the point of replacement anyway.

On a separate note I looked at a 2000 Beetle 5 spd the other night, ok shape for a 00, headliner sag, somewhat worn interior, IP or injector leak, small stuff mostly but the seller wanted to much for what would need to be done. I popped the timing cover and saw vw/Audi symbols on the belt, very faint, 18 years and 141k and I think it might be the original belt. Those were 60k mile belts back in 00.

Don’t let the belt go, change it so you have a baseline.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Oops, I was thinking of the pump pulley bolts being one timers. Haven't heard that about the mounting bolts.

I don't fink these bolts come with the kits but they shouldn't be hard to find.

The rear mount nut is some kind of fancy sliding affair. Hope it's still there.

jlester777

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Oops, I was thinking of the pump pulley bolts being one timers. Haven't heard that about the mounting bolts.

I don't fink these bolts come with the kits but they shouldn't be hard to find.

The rear mount nut is some kind of fancy sliding affair. Hope it's still there.
The rear mount nut is missing too! I'm really surprised that this thing even started. I ordered a timing belt kit today. It looks like a difficult job but I'm up for the task!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So to be clear are you talking about the bolts that actually fasten the pump to the mount or the 3 bolts that keep the ip pulley in place? A new tb kit will include those bolts but not the ones that fasten the pump itself in place.

jlester777

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5 speed
So to be clear are you talking about the bolts that actually fasten the pump to the mount or the 3 bolts that keep the ip pulley in place? A new tb kit will include those bolts but not the ones that fasten the pump itself in place.
The bolts that fasten the pump to the mount under the pulley and the 1 bolt in the back of IP are missing. All the mounting bolts are missing. The 3 pulley bolts are still in place.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got a parts car and will sell you the right bolts if you want. I'm not 100% sure they aren't 1 time use but I have reused them before in the past many times without issue. PM me if you're interested. Probably $5-$10 shipped.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
We regularly sell the upgrade timing belt kit, rent the tools and for the less than initiated, we give them great technical support. The job is not a cake walk, but very doable. The right tools and the necessary local access to a VCDS is a plus. Step by step directions in the Articles section is a big plus.